Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 9:15 am

My friend who works in Cancer Research says she would never touch diet drinks. If your gonna put sugar in your body it is better for it to be natural sugar and not chemical sugar.
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 3:14 am

Me to no Diabetes or high cholestral fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes 63412
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 3:00 am

Absolutely - apart from the obvious great feelings of not carrying around all that extra weight, it's the very best thing this surgery has done for me - no diabetes!
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 1:03 am

I am so looking forward to that day........no drugs no needles.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 12:46 am

Thanks for this info, Nimue - it certainly does bring up some interesting points.
Like you, I drink quite a bit of diet soft drink, but I now have a good reason to give it up.
Before the surgery I was taking heaps of diabetes medication, including insulin injections 4 times a day and could never quite get it under control.
Now I don't take any meds and no injections and my blood sugars are in the normal range - but I think I'll reduce my diet drink levels to make sure it stays that way!
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 12:14 am

wow! fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes 878453 I'm blown away by this information, coming across it is a long story, but I've been diabetic for 17 years and was always told by the diabetic educators/Dr's diet coke has no sugar/calouries and is ok. NOT TRUE apparently research is showing that because its sweeter tha real sugar it tricks the body into producing more insulin.

I have been drinking 1.5 minimum per day for severqal years now. no wonder my sugars are out of control and my pancreas has given up the ghost. (I 've just started on nightly insulin injections)

Quote from DiabetesWellness.com.

Another explanation is that the body receives the sugar substitute, but not the associated calories. Thus, the body misses the calories associated with the sweet taste, causing you to seek out the food and overeat. Regardless, critics, and the study scientist themselves, do note that the link between diet soda and weight gain is somewhat tenuous at this time.

Second, a 2006 study by the Dartmouth Medical School found that diet soda increased blood glucose levels. The study found that people, who drink more than 1 diet soda daily, increased their A1C level 0.7 units. The study concluded that there is a correlation between drinking diet soda and glucose control. Anecdotally, diabetics have been reporting these same phenomena for years.

Last, the American Heart Association published a report in 2007 detailing that diet soda caused an increased risk of developing metabolic syndrome in middle aged adults. Metabolic syndrome refers to a series of characteristics (e.g., waist size, blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels, etc.) that increase the risk of developing a serious health condition, including diabetes. The study found that consuming more than 1 diet soda daily increased one’️s risk of developing metabolic syndrome.

These are three studies suggesting that diet coke and diabetes do not mix. Certainly, there are a number of studies which contradict these studies. Nonetheless, if you choose to drink diet soda, try and do it in moderation. While these studies may be disputed, the one thing they all had in common was that you had to drink more than 1 diet soda to begin causing significant problems. Diet Coke and Diabetes? Consume at your own risk!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes   fyi  diet coke and wl/diabetes Empty

Back to top Go down

fyi diet coke and wl/diabetes
Page 1 of 1