Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!

Go down 
+6
Skrappy
pf337
mapmar
manda
Tamara
Raingold
10 posters
AuthorMessage
vogue
vogue

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-01-01

What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyTue 16 Feb 2010, 8:44 am

Barney wrote:
Hi Vogue,
Yeah I stayed in hospital for 3 nights following the op, my doctor gave me the option of leaving at that point and nothing sounded better than being able to go home - he did tell me also that I would likely stay for about 5 nights. For the first day/night I wore the hospital gown but on the afternoon of the second day I put on some comfy shorts and a t shirt so I felt more comfortable myself. This was also partly because the pressure was on me to get up and move around to help with the wind pain and help move the healing process along and I wasn't keen at all about walking up the corridors of the hospital in my gown. All the best with the op, it took me a little while to start feeling myself again after it (partly because I had both my gallbladder and sleeve done at the same time which I am now told I should not have done) but I am approximalty 7 weeks out now and am feeling great.

Oh God, no wonder you felt like crap having both out!!! I too am a kiwi, glad your feeling more human & well on your way to becoming the thinner person you want to be, thanks for taking the time to reply :)
Back to top Go down
Barney

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyTue 16 Feb 2010, 8:34 am

Hi Vogue,
Yeah I stayed in hospital for 3 nights following the op, my doctor gave me the option of leaving at that point and nothing sounded better than being able to go home - he did tell me also that I would likely stay for about 5 nights. For the first day/night I wore the hospital gown but on the afternoon of the second day I put on some comfy shorts and a t shirt so I felt more comfortable myself. This was also partly because the pressure was on me to get up and move around to help with the wind pain and help move the healing process along and I wasn't keen at all about walking up the corridors of the hospital in my gown. All the best with the op, it took me a little while to start feeling myself again after it (partly because I had both my gallbladder and sleeve done at the same time which I am now told I should not have done) but I am approximalty 7 weeks out now and am feeling great.
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyMon 15 Feb 2010, 9:56 am

Janette wrote:
I stayed in the hospital until I had the drip out (2 days), then my own PJ's after that.

Thanks Janette, cheers What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! 65317
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyMon 15 Feb 2010, 9:53 am

I stayed in the hospital until I had the drip out (2 days), then my own PJ's after that.
Back to top Go down
vogue
vogue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyMon 15 Feb 2010, 7:27 am

Hi Barney, what did you wear while you were in hospital? Did you stay in the hospital gown or your own PJ's. Im in on the 22nd Feb & have just had my last appoint with my surgeon, I thought Id only be in hospital for 2-3 days, he has said 5 minimum..Cheers
Back to top Go down
Barney

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 7:39 am

I wasn't given much information pre or post op so I learn't the hard way about what I needed but I would suggest the following:

Ice blocks
cordial drink (fruit juice, milk drinks, water and fizzy drinks were no good)
peppermint tea (a few sips helps with gas)
small panadol capsules
straws

this should get you through the first week until you are up and about properly again
Back to top Go down
manda
manda

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyTue 05 Jan 2010, 7:59 pm

they gave me a drink of water from a straw as soon as i woke up. that is really strange they told u not to use it straight after surgery. but then again it all comes down to ur own dr and dieticians calls.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Skrappy

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 1:18 am

straws helped me tons as I found it hard to take small gulps drinking straight from a glass.

Not really sure what negative effects they could possibly have.

Would also stock up on some type of meal replacement drink (hospital grade) just in case you find things really difficult for the first few weeks.

V8 juice to help those veggies get in your system and help the healing process too.
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 1:49 pm

I was told not to use straws.....Well, right after surgery.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 11:06 am

ginger cordial was good after the op when I got home... helps with nausea.
Ear plugs for the hospital....
Possible take your own pillow to hospital.. you will be more comfortable....
Back to top Go down
manda
manda

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 10:46 am

ok one thing i found very handy was straws for when u r home, really makes the sipping stage alot easier to tolerate as u cant guzzle ur fluids like u would normally ( yes i am addicted to them now) and may a little to much info but if ur like me and get TTOM straight after having and operation even when they r not due then i would stock up on those things too.... ohh and cup a soup, i lived on these, they were quick and easy to make and they r still a fluid so they went down well.... will post more when i think of them
good luck xox
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 10:41 am

I would definitely recommend getting some of the small icypoles (you know the kind that you buy off the shelf and then freeze yourself). They are really handy to have afterwards as they can help you get in some extra fluid - and you'll get to have a break from the routine of sip, sip, sip!

You may also find it useful to buy some benefibre, as many of us have problems 'going' after the op (although there are a few members on here that have the opposite problem).

Diet cordial - I (as well as most of the members on here) could not tolerate straight water in the first weeks after surgery, adding diet cordial was the only way I could drink it.

Im sure there are heaps more, but at the moment these are the main ones I can think of.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 10:27 am

I'll have my sleeve done on Monday 11th Jan, all going well and hopefully be home by the Friday. This leaves me this week to be organised. I live 30k's out of town, so we can't just dash to the shop if I forget something. From your experiences, are there things I should have here? Even "just in case"? I'd rather do the girl scout thing and be prepared.... The hospital list is great, but at home afterwards? Even the "little things"...
Help please?
What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! 697586 What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! 697586 What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!   What do I need to know or have handy? Help please! Empty

Back to top Go down

What do I need to know or have handy? Help please!
Page 1 of 1