*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 11 Nov 2009, 10:48 pm

Gutless Wonder wrote:
Hi Steph.
Yes we are very similar indeed. Both lost 10 kilos more than we anticipated, both eat whatever we fancy, both avoid exercise
(I like to say that my favorite outdooor exercise is smoking, but I rarely smoke these days) both have folks fooled we were never overweight, both deliriously happy with our sleeves, both fabulous and forty-something.
YAY for the gastric sleeve !!!

Thats me too, except I am thirty-something :P
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 11 Nov 2009, 4:48 pm

lou1001 wrote:
Hi Gutless,
I am new to the forum too, but have just had my 2 year anniversary. I am happy to say, that I have had no complications, and everything has been fine.
I have gone from a size 24 in pants to a size 10 (size 9 in my skinny jeans).
Do you still have excess skin, I look like an old man under the clothes. I don't know if it is lack of estregeon or if I can tighten the skin through exercise.
Louise
Hi Louise, sounds as though you have had a fantastic weight loss.
I do have some excess skin around the top of my thighs. You can't notice if I am siting or lying down but if I stand it looks pretty rank. But I don't let anyone see it, except my b/f who doesn't seem to mind. I did have a tummy tuck 10 years ago with great results.
The top of my thighs looks gross, but they did before I lost weight anyway, so I can live with that.
As Elizabeth Taylor said on loosing weight, "Its your fanny (american for bum) or your face" , ...meaning to have a smaller bum is going to make your face (or another part of you) look gaunt/wrinkly.
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 11 Nov 2009, 4:34 pm

Hi Steph.
Yes we are very similar indeed. Both lost 10 kilos more than we anticipated, both eat whatever we fancy, both avoid exercise
(I like to say that my favorite outdooor exercise is smoking, but I rarely smoke these days) both have folks fooled we were never overweight, both deliriously happy with our sleeves, both fabulous and forty-something.
YAY for the gastric sleeve !!!
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 05 Nov 2009, 8:03 am

Hi Gutless Wonder,
Great to hear from you.
I was sleeved 16 months ago which seems such a long time ago.
I'm much like you. I haven't done any exercise at all as the weight was coming off too quickly and my doctor actually didn't recommend it as he didn't want me to lose any more than I was.
I actually got 10kg's below my goal weight and my surgeon was concerned that I was going to be underweight but I have stabilised now and that's due also to the "maintenancë diet" which is a lot like yours to help keep myself at this weight and not lose any more.
It is nice not to have to worry about what we eat and today someone at work was talking about love handles and I said Í know about them and she said that I don't have any because I'm so slim. I told her that I have lost 43 kg's and still have them lol.
steph
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 04 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm

Fatboyslim wrote:
Hi Gutless wonder.

I had my sleeve 10 days ago.

When I decided to go for the op, it was kinda based on the idea that I would never have to 'diet' again. I'm 45 and have spent the last 30 years battling with my weight, plump teenager to very large early twenties etc. Diets fill me horror as I always crave the things I can't have. What I like about the sleeve is: eat what you like in tiny portions - This idea keeps me going! Still in liquid phase, but having cravings for solid food.
Hearing your story has boosted me today - You sound SO normal. For me (the fat guy who sticks out like a sore thumb) - Normal sounds SO good!

Cheers
Fatboyslim
X

Hi Fatboyslim.
I am 45 as well. I went on my first diet when I was 9yrs old. In hindsight I wasn't even fat. But I certainly got fat when I grew up.
Soon enough you will be eating normal food and the weight will drop off you and then we will have to call you Slimboyslim.
I hate diets too. I NEVER will diet again. I dont need to. Nor will you. I always say when you have a sleeve, you will loose weight whether you want to or not. Its fantastic. Tonight for tea I ate a piece of toast smootherd in butter then in mashed avacado, few thin slices of cucumber and tomato, 2 rashers of crispy bacon,chopped fresh mint and cracked pepper. I am really full now and it was yum.
I eat whatever. You will too !
Back to top Go down
Fatboyslim
Fatboyslim

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: 18 months out   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 04 Nov 2009, 8:58 am

Hi Gutless wonder.

I had my sleeve 10 days ago.

When I decided to go for the op, it was kinda based on the idea that I would never have to 'diet' again. I'm 45 and have spent the last 30 years battling with my weight, plump teenager to very large early twenties etc. Diets fill me horror as I always crave the things I can't have. What I like about the sleeve is: eat what you like in tiny portions - This idea keeps me going! Still in liquid phase, but having cravings for solid food.
Hearing your story has boosted me today - You sound SO normal. For me (the fat guy who sticks out like a sore thumb) - Normal sounds SO good!

Cheers
Fatboyslim
X
Back to top Go down
lou1001

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 04 Nov 2009, 8:42 am

Hi Gutless,

I am new to the forum too, but have just had my 2 year anniversary. I am happy to say, that I have had no complications, and everything has been fine.

I have gone from a size 24 in pants to a size 10 (size 9 in my skinny jeans).

Do you still have excess skin, I look like an old man under the clothes. I don't know if it is lack of estregeon or if I can tighten the skin through exercise.

Louise 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 369315
Back to top Go down
tamayles
Part of the furniture
tamayles

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 29 Oct 2009, 4:13 am

RE: The asprin

I get terrible migraine headaches sometimes and found the best thing to take for them is 2 panadine forte and 2 asprin at the same time.

I had a migraine about 5 days post op and just suffered through it on panadine forte only as it was too soon after surgery as asprin thins the blood.

However I had another one 2 weeks ago and I sent a text to my surgeon asking if I could take asprin and he said it should be fine, just take it with some food or milk. I didn't have any problems taking it, it was such a relief as I didn't want to have to suffer through another whopper of a headache.

I have also found that when I do take pain killers they start working very very quickly now that my tummy is tiny, the must absorb so much quicker.
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 29 Oct 2009, 12:36 am

Hiya shifthappens;
Yes I can eat asprin. I usually take asprin when I fly coz I worry about deep vein thrombosis. By the way TED stockings left over from the hospital are great for flying.
In fact shifthappens, there is nothing I have encountered that I can not tolerate.(Except overeating)
The MARVELLOUS thing about the sleeve, is it is just like a normal stomach, only smaller.
A woman I spoke to on the net was sleeved about the same time as myself, and her mother was sleeved 20 years ago, not for weight loss, but some stomach disorder. She has the exact same operation as us, but for another reason. Her daughter explained to me that she has been nice and slim all these years and never had any problems with her sleeve.
That gave me great comfort.
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 29 Oct 2009, 12:31 am

Yes "ditto" that,
thanks for putting up your sucess and others, it IS great to read, i have been umming and ahhhhing for ages to, between the badn and sleeve, but really the thought of vomiting is NOT my cup of tea..and thats all ive heard about the band...

Even tho i havent got my date yet, im gonna go the sleeve....
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
shifthappens

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 28 Oct 2009, 8:33 pm

Gutless Wonder:

Ah, so now I know why I couldn't get that screen name! 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 217555 from
another Gutless Wonder.

It's great to hear from someone who has been sleeved for a long time. The information
from those who are months in is useful but it's so encouraging to know there are people
out there who are just living normal lives sleeved.

I apologize if you've already been asked but here's my main question: can you ever take
aspirin? I occasionally (like once every 2 months) get a very bad headache and the only
thing that helps is a particular med we have here in the U.S. which is primarily aspirin.
I know it's not something I can do often, but I wondered if once pill every 2 months would
still be an issue? What do you think?

Thanks!
Shifty
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 22 Oct 2009, 10:41 am

Wow...you look fantastic! You give me hope that one day I'll find my cheekbones and find it uncomfortable to sit on a hard seat (bumbones sticking through) Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 22 Oct 2009, 9:22 am

Hi there Gutless Wonder

Thanks for putting up this post, I had a sleeve but spent a long time umming and ahhing between a sleeve and a band. Reading people's experiences with bands and relatives with bands makes me think I have soooo done the right thing here.

You look fantastic by the way, so good to see what people look like when they get to goal, they look really great!! cheers, Kat
2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 446871
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyThu 22 Oct 2009, 4:08 am

pf337 wrote:
pf337 said......Just wondering how your sister and friend are doing. Has it been easy to keep your weight off. I often wonder will our stomachs get larger and how much. I can eat more now, but still not enough to gain. as far as i can tell grazing is our worst enemy..is this true even 2 yrs out. thank you again for joining us...

Hi pf337. Interestingly enough my sister lost 30 kilos, looks slim trim and terrific and has kept it of since having her band in 2005. My friend, also lapbanded in 2005 has struggled and still has the band, but I dont think she has enough fill. Plus she eats a lot of chocolate. She told me a couple of weeks ago shes thinking of going to jenni craig. She also told me she wished she had a sleeve.
I know 7 women who have lapbands. They all vomit when eating the wrong thing. 2 of them (my sister and my 22 yr old daughter) have lost all their excess weight and look terrific, the others are all struggling with their bands in one way or another. My sister and my daughter have both said if they ever have to have the band removed, they both want to have the sleeve after seeing how well it works for me. I can eat anything I want and I never vomit, and this thing is for EVER. That's the insurance I wanted.
As far as grazing goes, I look at grazing as my friend. Grazing rocks. If I don't graze I would fade away to nothing. I keep food in my handbag when I go out. "Maintenance", I call it. I have chunks of cheese, or chocolate. I take crackers with butter, sliced apple, or gingernuts. I have fresh dates in a plastic bag to nibble on. Raw mixed nuts. Just whatever I have at home really. One or two bites are usually enough. I have maintained my ideal weight for over 18 months without thinking about it.
The sleeve really really REALLY works. Oh and yeah, I didn't do one scrap of exercise either, not that I told my surgeons team that. Apart from my daily one sit up when I got out of bed in the morning.
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 21 Oct 2009, 2:45 pm

Great to hear from a long-timer...I am almost 7 months out. It is great to see what we have to look forward to. Just wondering how your sister and friend are doing. Has it been easy to keep your weight off. I often wonder will our stomachs get larger and how much. I can eat more now, but still not enough to gain. as far as i can tell grazing is our worst enemy..is this true even 2 yrs out. thank you again for joining us...
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 21 Oct 2009, 12:54 pm

Boy have you been through the mill and back, as they say.2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 217555

But wow girl, do you look good. 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 542174
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyWed 21 Oct 2009, 11:54 am

Such a friendly welcome from everyone. Thank you.
I had a lapband in 2005. I only had it for 3 or 4 weeks, and never actually left the hospital with it. I had some complications to say the least, but that's all behind me now. I had gone to a seminar with my sister to learn about the lapband in about June 2005. While there, the surgeon spoke about the gastric sleeve. My sister was all for having the sleeve and I told her it was far too radical and I talked her out of it. We booked in for our lapbands shortly after, both had surgery the same day, and even shared a room in the hospital. I had my surgery first, which went horribly wrong. It was because of previous operations I had had that made me such a difficult patient. My sister had her surgery next. She was home in a couple of days. I stayed in the hospital for about a month I think. As the months went by I watched as my sister got thinner and thinner , and I got fatter and fatter. A friend also had had a lap band and she was getting thinner too.
I felt so envious. It should have been me too. So I contacted a surgeon and asked if I could try again for a lapband, and I was told that as I had scarring around my fundus from the last lapband, it would be best for me to have the sleeve.
I must say I was terrified. It was going to be an open operation for me as I had a lot of scar tissue from past bowel operations. I went ahead with the surgery and it was a very difficult recovery for me. That also is all behind me now, and my situation is not the norm.
I'm just so thankful my surgeon was skilled enough to give me the surgery I so badly wanted considering my surgical past.
Having the sleeve is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I never bothered weighing myself or obsessing about food after I left the hospital.
I believe the weight will fall off a sleeved person whether they want it to or not.
Being thin and feeling 'normal' has given me so much more self confidence.
I was a self loather before. Sad really.If anyone understands,it's you guys..............................................................................
2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve Small110
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyTue 20 Oct 2009, 1:13 am

Hi Gutless Wonder
It's fantastic to hear from someone who has had the sleeve long term (well longer term than the rest of us).

I look forward to reading more about your journey.

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyMon 19 Oct 2009, 11:25 pm

Hey GW......
2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve 217555
Thanks for sharing, you are now our newest inspiration.....
I too am taller, was 178cm at my tallest and always felt that my goal weight was too low!! Not my goal weight on here mind you but at weight watchers etc. I was once about 70kgs but was surviving on cigarettes, coffee and alcohol. Skin was sh!t, hair lank etc., etc.
So hope to do as well as you :)
Linda
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyMon 19 Oct 2009, 6:11 am

Hi GW
Nice to hear from you.
You've done really well, and it's nice to know that you're eating what you want and maintaining your weight.
I'm about a year behind you, and hope I can do the same.
Cjros
Back to top Go down
JayNay
Part of the furniture
JayNay

Female
Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyMon 19 Oct 2009, 5:40 am

Great to hear from a long termer. I'm one month down to today and struggling a bit so reading your story has giving me hope.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyMon 19 Oct 2009, 4:26 am

Hi,
Welocme also, it IS really great to hear from someone whos had it for a while, makes us all newies feel better...
bye shaz
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptyMon 19 Oct 2009, 4:14 am

Allo and a big welcome to you

Congrats on your loss, that is just sheer inspirational!!! TO think that I may get to where you are is daunting yet exciting...to never 'diet' again is pretty bloody appealing too :)

Thankyou so much for popping in and I cant wait to hear more about you :)
Back to top Go down
sunland
Sponsor
sunland

Male
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptySun 18 Oct 2009, 12:04 pm

Hi GW, I love the name also..

I have been sleeved 8 months and like you I wish it had been around 20 years ago..I saw Leon Cohen's videos 2 years ago and was too chicken to do anything about it......the deciding factor for me was finding this forum and reading..reading..and more reading.....especially the diaries which convinced me to do something about my weight problem..I havn't felt this good for the past 20 years..

It is so good to hear from another long termer..it would be great for others if you could do a brief diary for others to read..comming from some one who has been sleeved for so long would be truly inspirational to us all..

All the best

Regards

Greg
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve EmptySun 18 Oct 2009, 11:22 am

Thank you for posting. We've been looking for a long termer!!!

I am 6 months out on Tuesday and I am starting to wonder where the weightloss will stop. I am eating crap food and still losing average of 200grams a day! I don't want to go too far down, because already I feel like I look a bit drawn IYKWIM?

I have lost 39kg, and would be happy with another 5 but I don't really want to go much further than that.

Thank you for coming on and offering to answer our questions, being a realtively new surgery its hard to find someone who's done the long haul!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve   2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

2 years & 8 months with my gastric sleeve
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next