AuthorMessage
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

optifast type of drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 10:47 am

This a post-op page and I think during post-op liquids we really need to take on board what our Drs and nutritionist's recommend to us.

6 months down the track (probably in General Chat?) it might be ok to use whatever shakes you want when you are taking in whole foods but when you are post op and liquid is all you are taking in, it is pretty important to get optimum protein and calories into you which is probably why a lot of nutritionists recommend Optifast for the liquid stage. I personally branched off into thinned down custard, drinking yoghurt etc but I had a diet plan from a nutritionist for x amount of Opti shakes then to add the other things to it as long as I got the Opti in first.

This is a major operation to recover from so people need to check with the experts for the best recovery.

I offer suggestions of what I found was good for me, but I always tell people to check with their Drs / nutritionist's first. They are the experts.
Back to top Go down
JulesR
JulesR

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 4:04 am

Lib, exactly my thoughts...
I had no problems with the surgery or recovery..
However, it did take me a while to feel my "normal" self.
I know that if I don't eat properly and look after myself (vitamins), even now, I pay the price, with low energy levels etc.

Jules
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 12:11 am

miss wrote:
ahh well, I feel I am functioning fine Lib.
You might be...for now.....lack of vitamins and essential nutrients is dangerous. Its important to be "eating" what is recommended by your surgeon and dietitian. Trust me, as someone who is struggling to stop losing weight, its so very important to not try and lose weight faster rather than slower. This is a life long result, not a race to the finish line. Its important to take care of your body when losing the weight because if you don't you'll end up with a body that doesn't function properly, and whats the point in losing the weight if you can't function properly?
Do what your Dr tells you, at the end of the day, they are the expert. Its so important to do what they tell you, trust me, I didn't, and now 12months after surgery I am still not back to 'normal'.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 10:47 pm

ahh well, I feel I am functioning fine Lib.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 12:35 pm

miss it has now been explained to you half a dozen times by different people. your choice to drink it or not, just do NOT recomend it to anybody else on this forum unless in your thread for all the reasons already told to you over and over again.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 12:01 pm

Yeah but protein isn't the be all and end all, there is a huge difference in the carlories between opti and what you posted. When you are on liquids you still need calories for your body to function.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 11:23 am

I actually did mention the carb lite to my doctor and he just asked how much protein did it have and I said 17 or higher and he just said to me to stick with that drink then, it should have everything that I need. So I can only going by his recommendation.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 11:09 am

I have replied in mels journey to freedom if anyone wishes to reply. I replied thier so I can just keep track of what I am going to do.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 10:53 am

for the nourising liquid time usally 2 weeks after surgery the liquids you take in are your meals, hence meal replacement. some surgeons are very strict and insist on optifast 2 to 3 times per day. most tho can be pursuaded to accept tony ferguson celebraty slim or similar meal replacements.

they are also very handy for afternoon tea that first week back at work to give you a much needed energy boost. tony ferguson do a long life no fridge tetra pack of some flavours. a great idea to buy 1 or 2 of these and keep them at work the first few weeks.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 10:24 am

Hi all,

Agree with CarrieK,

Providing we are talking post op, not pre op, and where we are drinking other nourishing fluids then I dont see any problem with using the lite carb stuff to value add to a days intake.

So Miss:

If you are getting some carbs and/or fat from other food sources/drinks then using it shouldnt put you into a catabolic state.

IF you are only using carb lite for all your days nourishment then as the rest say, its not ideal...you need a full meal replacement (the carb lite doesnt have enough calories/carb/fats) and you could be doing more harm to your muscles than good....are you seeing a dietician? Might be a good idea, as they can explain all the questions you have.

For the OP...I think optifast has quite a bit of soy in it too...perhaps thats what you are sensitive to??

Are we supposed to be using meal replacements and replacing meals in this phase?? God I hope not.

I am not planning on using optifast ever again if I can help it...(fingers crossed no extended plateau though). Ive got some up and go in the fridge, and will be making lots of milk based smoothies with added protein powder and benefibre. I wont be doing anything with raw egg however, due to the risk of salmonella.

Deb
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 9:23 am

Mel,

It really depends on what you are using them for. If you are just using your shakes to supplement your diet, the ones you are using are probably fine. If you are using them as your main source of nutrition, you will need complete meal replacements.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 9:08 am

Ok, mum will take me to get Tony F shakes tomorrow. But I still don't really understand> optifast type of drinks 81722

I guess I never will, but ahh well, it's just me!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 8:30 am

she is talking meal replacement shakes. they are not the same as body building ones.

ypu are repacing meals NOT suplementing a normal diet.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 8:22 am

Sorry but the receptionist, the Dr's wife just said to me that most of the shakes are all the same. So that is pretty much why I choose to use it!
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 6:39 am

Sorry I do agree that the replies should be posted and not PM'd

The advice given is not what sleevers need...we need a complete meal replacement...full stop!!!

You do whatever you want to do miss but please do not lead other forum members astray with information that could be potentially harmful.

None of us are doctors, so please check any info you arent sure of with your GP/Surgeon for the best advice :)

Sorry I disagree with this statement Miss !!!
This forum is open to anybody and its whatever they find works best for them, they do not neccessarily have to be correct, it's what works best for them.
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 6:30 am

Sorry, but the point I am trying to make is, not generalizing & saying "what works best for you", as some people may feel a home brand muesli bar "works best" for them, which would not be the right choice nutrition wise.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 5:37 am

Why would the meal replacement burn your muscles when you bought the powder from a health food shop? Muscles are the main focus of the shop? And any way, I did buy protein powder from that same shop???
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 5:33 am

Miss, I think you are misunderstanding what is being said here, & mostly the replies do need to be posted on here , not through pm's in order to clear up confusion for everyone who reads the posts.

Yes, a lot of advice given on this site is what members have found "what works for them", but not normally concerning the nutritional composition of meal replacements.

You may feel "satisfied" using other products, but quite possibly risk the chance of sending your body into a catabolic state, or a destructive metabolism, where it burns the protein found in your muscles as energy.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 4:49 am

Hi Carrie, I compared everything against Optifast and couldn't see much difference, I use it and I find it works well for me so I would appreciate it greatly if you did have a problem with one of my posts, pls talk to me through PM. This forum is open to anybody and its whatever they find works best for them, they do not neccessarily have to be correct, it's what works best for them. I am no scientist and nor am I a doctor and either are any of you! I just find that Carb lite is filling enough for me and it works well for me, simple!!!

Opti fast

per 40g sachet
Energy 638 kJ (152 Cal)
Protein 17.3 g
Fat 2.3 g
Carbohydrate - total
- sugars 15.0 g
11.8 g
Calcium (total) 300 mg
Sodium (total) 332 mg
Potassium (total) 668 mg
Added Nutrients per 40g sachet
Retinyl acetate (Vitamin A acetate) 333 microgram (1,100 IU)
Thiamine HCl (Vitamin B1) 530 microgram
Riboflavine (Vitamin B2) 667 microgram
Nicotinamide 6 mg
Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) 2.67 mg
Pyridoxine HCl (Vitamin B6) 667 microgram
Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) 1 microgram
Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 25 mg
Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) 1.667 microgram (66.67 IU)
dl-alpha-Tocopherol (Vitamin E) 4 mg (4.4 IU)
Biotin (Vitamin H) 67 microgram
Phytomenadione (Vitamin K1) 33 microgram
Folic acid 133 microgram
Calcium (added only ? not total) 17 mg
Chromium 33 microgram
Copper 833 microgram
Iron 5 mg
Magnesium 116 mg
Manganese 1 mg
Molybdenum 67 microgram
Iodine 50 microgram
Potassium (added only ? not total) 463 mg
Selenium (inorganic form) 17 microgram
Sodium (added only ? not total) 166 mg
Zinc 5 mg

Carb lite

Av qty per serve: 25gm
Energy 414kJ (99 Cal)
Protein 17.7g
Fat, Total 1.3g
Saturated 0.9g
Carbohydrates 3.5g
Sugars 3.2g
Sodium 98mg
Thiamin 0.4mg
Riboflavin 0.6mg
Niacin 3.3mg
Vitamin C 13mg
Vitamin E 3.3mg
Vitamin B6 0.5mg
Vitamin B12 0.7µg
Pantothenic Acid 0.5mg
Biotin 8.4µg
Folate 69µg
Potassium 170mg
Calcium 154mg
Iron 2.9mg
Zinc 2.2mg
Molybdenum 21µg
Iodine 17µg
Super Citrimax®️ 500mg
Isoleucine 1.2g
Leucine 1.9g
Valine 1.1g
Methionine 0.5g
L-carnitine tartrate 32mg
Choline bitartrate 3mg

[b]
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 3:48 am

If you want to try and alternative to optifast, pick up a packet of a MEAL replacement and take to your dietcian appointment before surgery and show him/her. Tehy will be things like tony ferguson and celbratey slim as they have all the nutriants in them. some will say okay for after some will not. But it must be a complete meal replacment. think diet meal replacment when looking as those are usally the ones NOT body building ones.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 3:41 am

Accidently double posted...
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 3:40 am

miss wrote:
... It is exactly the same, its just that the dr's have to recommend the optifast to patients because they do not know any better...
Hi Mel,

That link you provided states that "Carb Lite Gold is not a sole source of nutrition" ... Optifast is! While you might be able to lose weight while using it, it is only a supplement to a healthy diet, where as Optifast is a complete meal replacement.
I would be VERY wary about using it as an alternative to Optifast and certainly wouldn't go against Dr's advice... the fact is that they usually DO know best.

-Carrie

Last edited by CarrieK on Mon 03 May 2010, 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female

PostSubject: if you are sick of opti fast or do not like the drink   optifast type of drinks EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 12:00 am

try what I have, Carb lite Gold. It is exactly the same, its just that the dr's have to recommend the optifast to patients because they do not know any better. http://www.australiansportsnutrition.com.au/shop/product_details.php?ProductID=1264

I mix it with water, or milk (skim) and it just has a much better taste....

You can get this at most health food stores. It is your choice! I am loosing the exact same weight as if I was on the optifast.

optifast type of drinks 65317 optifast type of drinks 63412 optifast type of drinks 65317
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyThu 10 Sep 2009, 2:22 pm

HI Mapmar,

My surgeon gave me a booklet after surgery with some soup recipes etc.
However for the first few days I didn't actually get a lot of anything in and then found that it just built up little by little
If you want recipe for the soup from the dietitian let me know and I will send it through.
There are loads of options of things to have when you are on liquid only so don't worry too much.

Cheers Gail.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks EmptyThu 10 Sep 2009, 1:22 pm

First things first are you actually lactose intolerant or does your body just lie to you in order to get fed ? HUGE difference here. Quiet a number of people suffer nasty ikkky thinks on liquid diets because their body lies to them in order to get fed. If this is you the chances are you will not have such an reaction after surgery. You will just be having such tiny amounts siped very slowely. I would not worry about it and grab some tony ferguson , most people prefer this, tho I find it to sweet. Or some upngoes from the supermarket. I had eggnog as I like that. Again you are talking a week or 2 at most before you move on. So if it is chocmilk for you for a few days you will NOT die from malnurisment in that time span. Getting your panties all in a twist over not getting protien or healthy food into you is just rubbish when it is a matter of days. What goes down the easiest and stays down is the best choice for you. When you know liquids are going down and staying down then try to move to the healthy choices, but if they make you gag wait a few more days and try again.

If you really are lactose intolerant, as in you can not eat icecream or have milk in your coffee then you can get special ones for those who are lactose intolerant. Ask at your pharmacy for them. The range in taste etc will not be great tho.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: optifast type of drinks   optifast type of drinks Empty

Back to top Go down

optifast type of drinks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: