Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dotty1972

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-11-20

Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date Empty
PostSubject: six days post-op   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyWed 21 Dec 2016, 7:24 am

Already doing better again than I was two days ago.  Needing to nap big time when a wave of exhaustion hits but it's just my body healing.  The big plus is I'm not working at the moment so when I need to nap I can.

The nausea has settled away to next to nothing and I'm managing to drink an entire protein shake twice a day - just very slowly.

A couple of days I could only manage a few sips of a protein shake for the entire day so was feeling quite weak and lifeless mainly.

Have my first post-op follow up appointment tomorrow with Dr Le Page, this time I am most definitely looking forward to being weighed in on arrival.  The past few appointments (all pre-op) I've dreaded.

Am going to investigate how to add a ticker to my posts... it would be nice to track my progress here!
Back to top Go down
Dotty1972

Female

PostSubject: Four days post-op   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016, 8:19 pm

This is the best thing I could have done for myself.  Like everyone else here - I don't know what took me so long.  Fear perhaps?  Having an operation of this magnitude is like having a planned carcrash, you really are putting your body into injury mode and praying that it decides to recover quickly.

I was really nervous on the morning of the op - the anaesthetic nurse was really concerned about a rash that suddenly appeared on my throat and chest  - I told him it was nothing more than good old anxiety and nothing for them to be concerned about.

Then I met the anaesthetist, he'd called me the day before to talk about how he'd approach putting me under and asked me a few questions about my background etc and I really appreciated that call, made me feel more at ease.  I was first cab off the rank in the order of surgery so the hospital decided to get me in the door at 6am.  But I was happy with that as I slept so poorly the night before so getting up at sparrows wasn't hard work.  

The nursing team were lovely and supportive and warm and caring.  It was a good experience just getting ready to go into the OR.  Then once I was in there they started putting me under very gently - it took a few minutes I think, just nice and slow like I was really settling in for a big nap.  Then I woke up and could not for the life of me work out where I was or why.  Then the nausea hit!! Oh wow!  Wasn't prepared for that one at all.  The pain pump didn't work that well for me as it made me quite ill and I much preferred panadol which in my view worked much better than anything else they gave me and definitely didn't make me feel sick.

I had no reflux, I'm still getting a little discomfort if I sip too much water at once but it's not so bad.  Day four out from the big op and I haven't eaten a thing since last Thursday and I am very surprised to report I'm just not hungry at all.  I don't feel weak or tired, I'm napping in the afternoons and averaging about six hours sleep a night at the moment and am up and about with ease during the day.

I did not expect it would be this easy - I was expecting a lot more pain and general discomfort.

I have to go for a walk shortly to the pharmacy for some replacement dressings but will take that one nice and slow.  No need to race the pace today.
Back to top Go down
Joma

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-12-03

PostSubject: Newbie from Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyThu 15 Dec 2016, 1:36 am

Best wishes for tomorrow Dottie. My op went very well.  Only down side is reflux which I already suffered from pre- op. Just feels worse but they have given me meds for it so hopefully will settle down.
Back to top Go down
Dotty1972

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyTue 13 Dec 2016, 4:50 am

So two days to go now.  Sticking with the optislim shakes just fine.  Got quite cranky last night when my husband and stepdaughter made a pasta dish that smelt like heaven.  Not sure if they're really going to be that supportive in the long run - as it is they leave the bulk of the housework up to me.  I keep warning them that I won't be able to do much for a couple of weeks afterwards and I'm pretty sure that bit just isn't computing.

Both of them are fairly lazy and if I start doing any housework when husband wants to sit back and watch tv he just tells me not to do it - as if that's an option!!!!

I will try and have another talk to them tonight about picking up after themselves and there is more to housework than folding a few clothes.  

My plan is to get back in to the workforce as soon as possible and if it comes down to it I'll hire a cleaner.

Am slightly nervous about the operation, can't believe it's this Friday!!
Back to top Go down
Joma

Female

PostSubject: Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyMon 12 Dec 2016, 9:49 pm

One more day to till op. Keen to get going! Have been cooking up a storm to have food on hand when I get to the purée stage. Thank heavens for slow cookers. 
I found the thread on the surgeons and saw great comments about Dr Greenslade -  thanks to everyone who contributed.
Back to top Go down
Joma

Female

PostSubject: Newbie   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyThu 08 Dec 2016, 9:59 am

Hi Dotty1972,
My surgery is next Wednesday so not long to go! I have been on the VLCD for about 5 weeks but much stricter for the 2 week pre-op phase. I am using the Opti slim bars rather than the shakes and am not finding it too bad. My daughter thinks they taste like cardboard!
Good luck with your surgery. Life will be different for both of us. Looking forward to being more mobile. I am not bad at losing the weight but it seems to creep back on again - not anymore!
Back to top Go down
Dotty1972

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyThu 08 Dec 2016, 12:50 am

So how are you going three days out from your op? Mine is next Friday and I'm doing my best to stick to the optifast diet.  I've found a great additive that helps the taste - it's the super elixir powder being flogged on FB at the moment.  It's got lots of antioxidants and all are natural and it just helps the shakes taste less sickly sweet.

My op is next Friday and I'm excited but a little nervous too.  Just reading all the posts and about the fantastic losses people have been able to achieve is really good motivation.  

I've been really depressed about the weight that I've gained for ages, to the point that I don't want to leave the house - I used to be slim and then life got in the way - and I picked up my husbands terrible eating habits and added a few of my own.  

I just can't wait for next Friday!
Back to top Go down
Joma

Female

PostSubject: Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date EmptyMon 05 Dec 2016, 1:37 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the group. My surgery date is next week at Greenslopes Hospital with Justin Greenslade. Has anyone else had the surgery with him and how did you find the care at Greenslopes? My past experience of the hospital in the orthopaedic ward was really good but I have no knowledge of other areas. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date   Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie in Brisbane - counting down to sleeve date
Page 1 of 1