AuthorMessage
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital Empty
PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptySun 05 Jul 2009, 10:37 pm

What a worry Good Scout - but glad you are home. Take care and don't worry about resting while you need to!

Hugs
Caz
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptySun 05 Jul 2009, 5:16 pm

Glad to hear from you again Good Scout. Sorry you have been having a hard time of it. Do take care and get well soon.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptySun 05 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

Thanks for the update GS. Get well soon ya hear!!

Take it as easy as you need to and be kind to yourself. Great weight loss though, even if it did come off really quickly. Woohoo.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
GoodScout
GoodScout

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptySun 05 Jul 2009, 12:51 pm

Just as a followup, I'm now at one month, and still recovering. Was in the hospital 10 days. Due to the stress on my body of all th surgery, my heart went a little out of whack and I had to go to the ER a third time. Sheeesh. I'm at home recovering, but am EXTREMELY weak. I can walk around for a little bit, but quickly exhaust myself. My surgeon says its half from the surgeries and half from the fact I've lost 50 pounds in 30 days. Hoping I can get more energy!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 03 Jul 2009, 5:40 pm

It will not be a late leak as such hence the abscece. That developed from the leak, all that nasty tummy acid and bacteria getting into your body. It was detected late tho. The abscece must have caused enough pain by that stage to detect it. The leak would have been there all along. it could have tho been very very tiny and grown a bit with the acid etc . It is the latest I have heard of a detection tho. I think 14 days was the longest time for any others I had heard, hence the after 2 weeks you start thinking safe now. also one of the reasons my surgeon keeps you on clear liquids for the full 2 weeks, incase of a leak less yucky stuff gets into your body.

I am glad you are on the mend now. Most I have heard of with a leak are at least a month on nil by mouth, so 2 weeks tho rough to go though is the shortest time I have heard of.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 03 Jul 2009, 2:34 am

Thanks for clearing that up Steph, My brain was not happy to be functioning so early today... sorry about my mistake x
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 03 Jul 2009, 12:28 am

Hayley James is a girl but she isn't Hayley the administrator.
I will see if I can find her thread on this subject.......... it's under Leaks! in the Post Op section.

Last edited by ssteph2342 on Fri 03 Jul 2009, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info.)
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyThu 02 Jul 2009, 11:20 pm

Hayley is the admistrator and shes a girl :P but yes I remember reading she had a late leak if I remember rightly...... aghh brain fuzzies... don't quote me on anything before midday!
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyThu 02 Jul 2009, 6:01 pm

One of the men - I think Hayley James had a terrible time with a late leak - you can check in his diary or ask Chris or Applesauce if I have the name wrong. So glad you are on the mend.
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 1:04 pm

Gee Good Scout, what a shock that must have been- and the timing, just after your 2 week check.
I am really glad that things are sorted out for you now and send all my wishes your was for a speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 7:47 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles Goodscout. I hope things continue to improve for you and this was just a blip, a major one LOL, but a blip nonetheless.

Sending good thoughts your way for a complete recovery.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 2:49 am

Sorry to hear of your problems, but glad that you are now on the mend again.
Chris
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 1:29 am

Hi goodscout,

About 12-15 days post op I had troubles with vomiting and keeping stuff down, although later attributed to allergy to strong pain killers, I had to undergo a contrast CT scan to make sure there were no leaks, kinks, twists, or flips of the new stomach. All was good on that front, but I did have about 5 days before I could drink again, and slowly work onto foods. All is good now, and im 2 days away from 5 weeks post op.

Hope you feel better!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 12:32 am

Oh I am so sorry to read that. I hope that you are on the mend and you are feeling better sooner rather than later.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 12:09 am

glad your on the mend again
might of been the acid in the grape ice block . who would of thought.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyThu 18 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm

So sorry to hear that Good Scout - OMG you must have been so worried!

I'm glad it all sorted itself out - how is your weight loss going?

Hugs and thinking of you
Caz
Back to top Go down
GoodScout
GoodScout

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital EmptyThu 18 Jun 2009, 9:21 pm

Well, everything was huky-dory until day 15.
I had just finished my post-op checkup with my surgeon and was returning to my car when I was struck by a sharp pain on my lower left side as well as my left shoulder. Crippling pain, shortness of break and sweating. I returned to the doctor's and he monitored me and my BP for about an hour. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. After 60 minutes, the pain went away and I chose to go home. By time I got there, I felt bad again. Took pain meds and slept most of evening and night.

Next morning, felt worse, so headed to ER, calling surgeon on the way. I'd had a kidney stone 5 years earlier, and this is exactly what it felt like. I was convinced I had a kidney stone. After the CT scan, though, the diagnosis was a abcess. It was right up against my diaphram and spleen, and the next morning, my surgeon went in and removed it, leaving a drain

Did a standard leak test 24 hours later -- and FAILED! I had eaten a grape popscicle the previous evening and my drain line suddenly TURNED PURPLE! Yikes! So I had to spend 5 days in the hospital on no oral food or drink while the hole along the sutre line

They finaly got the hole to heal naturally, and I'm just now back to starting week 2 foods still in in hospital. An adventure I wouldn't wish on anyone. Has anyone else had to deal with abcesses, late-leaks or the like?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital   Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital Empty

Back to top Go down

Major surgical scare on day 15 - Back in hospital
Page 1 of 1