AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Liquid diet question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyWed 01 Jul 2015, 12:27 pm

For me the first 2 weeks consisted of lots of broth and protein drinks... and towards the end cauliflower soup or mushroom soup.

Broth or stock you can freeze and even ifyou don't use it in the first few weeks you can then incorporate it into other dishes later.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyTue 30 Jun 2015, 7:01 am

Rob54 wrote:
I had, store bought pumpkin soup in a little tub yesterday and also a Heinz pouch chicken and veg soup.  The chicken soup had larger bits of veg and chicken in it so I used my barmix to whizz it up and everything was then fine bits I thought this would be ok since it will pass through a straw, but after reading this post I think I will be straining it in future I was told I could start purée on Tuesday so not long till I can have thicker food.  I don't have a problem with swallowing larger sips now so I don't think anything would get stuck but best to be safe than sorry.
Hey Rob,

My things getting stuck comment has less to do with how you can swallow and more to do with things getting stuck in the staple line. While your staple line is still healing if small bits get stuck it can cause a problem. Thicker is different to having lumps or bits. A few times when I pureed things I would look at it and there would still be things that wouldn't mush when I chewed, so I would just give that particular dish a miss and keep it in the freezer till I was ready for solids. 

Sounds like things are going well so far for you, glad to hear everything worked out😊
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyTue 30 Jun 2015, 12:57 am

I had, store bought pumpkin soup in a little tub yesterday and also a Heinz pouch chicken and veg soup.  The chicken soup had larger bits of veg and chicken in it so I used my barmix to whizz it up and everything was then fine bits I thought this would be ok since it will pass through a straw, but after reading this post I think I will be straining it in future I was told I could start purée on Tuesday so not long till I can have thicker food.  I don't have a problem with swallowing larger sips now so I don't think anything would get stuck but best to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyMon 29 Jun 2015, 11:42 am

I was a bit lazy with the fluid diet, had a lot of canned soup. Tomato, blended chicken and beef soups in my ninja and added a scoop of protein powder to them. I found that the meat in these was really soft and went mushy rather then little peices that I had to worry about getting stuck. I say this because I tried blending some Tom yum soup and the meat was not as soft as they stir fry it then put it in the soup. It came out quite different in the ninja, I was paranoid that one of the little bits would get stuck in my staple line and gave up eating it. A bit of variation is good too especially when you have to be on fluids for a while
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyMon 29 Jun 2015, 10:16 am

Hi Rominus, Good on you for planning ahead but consider not making tooooo much in advance because if you are like me, you might be feeling a bit fussy, lol. I ended up throwing away quite a few portions of frozen soup and puree a couple of months after my sleeve.  Even one of my absolute favourite take away foods (a Tibetan yellow dal and a delicious curry) turned into purees was bleh! 

As far as contents and consistency of your soup goes, my dietitian said that the first week needed to be super runny fluids and then during the second week they could be a little bit more creamy but still absolutely no bits, not even a speck of parsley as the swelling of my stomach meant that any bits would just sit at the entrance to the stomach and not pass through.  He had a really clever way of explaining at my follow ups what would fit through the space in my tummy, he with hands together to show complete swelling and he said liquids had to trickle through, then for first week of puree it was smooth but thicker food, then second week of puree was bits that could fit through the tine of a fork, then it was pieces the size of a green pea.  It was a very good visual that really helped me choose appropriate foods and make sure I chewed things properly before swallowing.  I should say that my dietitian had a fairly conservative approach, but it worked well for me :)

Best wishes with it all :)
Back to top Go down
Rominus

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-06-24

PostSubject: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question EmptyMon 29 Jun 2015, 9:50 am

Hi al
I a, getting sleeved in July, and have a question regarding the liquid diet after surgery..

I was told that we could eat anything that can be taken via a straw, so my question is, in regard to soups, can we have meat in them eg chicken or bacon etc if they are blended properly? I have a soul mate that makes good soups really easily, and a NutriBullet to beat the hell out of any lumps etc.  just seeing if small amounts of meat are ok? Or better waiting to later to add those?
I was going to make a few portions ahead of time and freeze them, but now that I think of it, it's prob not needed, only takes 20 mins to cook about 1l of soup which will last ages....

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liquid diet question   Liquid diet question Empty

Back to top Go down

Liquid diet question
Page 1 of 1