Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single mums   Single mums EmptyThu 23 Oct 2014, 9:47 am

I was the same with driving, didn't have anyone else I could ask for help as I kept it secret so just take it easy and remember your reflexes might be a bit slower then usual and you might crash for a nap when you get home!

For you, get a variety of liquids as you might find yourself to be a bit fussy and don't worry about the calorie intake for the first 3 months as you will be consuming so little, anything will do.  Bonox, miso soup, chicken broth, flavoured ice blocks (heaven!), musashi protein shakes or similar like up & go.  Basically anything that can go up a straw.  Take your time sipping away using a teaspoon and don't be surprised your meal goes cold before you have finished.  You should get some more info from the surgeons on what to have and don't bother with diet cordial - it's disgusting awful, go the full sugar cordial.  I still can't drink plain water and must have it flavoured.  Mixture of herbal teas, chai & chocolate powder mixes.  Have it all if you can tolerate it.

Also watch for full signals.  Mine is runny nose, but others it's different e.g. hiccup, burp or nothing at all.  There is nothing worse then the first few times you over eat/drink and if you can't get it up, it's a case of putting up with the pain until it passes which can take around 20-30mins.
Back to top Go down
Singlemumto1

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2013-11-10

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single mums   Single mums EmptyThu 23 Oct 2014, 9:40 am

Hi, 
I'm a single mum to a 6 year old who's in my care 100% of the time. It's completely manageable post surgery. Like Garfield said, being organised with meals really helps. The less time you're on your feet at first, the better. At least yours is old enough to help you if you need it. 

Not being able to drive for the week is tough, maybe have your surgery in the school holidays, so you don't have to worry about it, or try to organise with your ex to drive her just for the week that you aren't able to drive.

I got my surgery last December, so rather than staying home all weekend when it was really hot a few days post surgery, I arranged for friends to pick us up & take us to the local pool so my daughter was able to get out & have fun. I just bought plenty of different liquids for me to sip on while we were out.

I also had to do Xmas shopping while recovering, which was exhausting. I got pretty dizzy as I was still on liquids, water wasn't cutting it, so I soon discovered orange juice helped with the dizziness & brought it with me everywhere I went. 

Most importantly, don't feel guilty if you can't manage to do what you normally would for your daughter. It's only temporary & the rewards she'll get as her mum gets healthier more than make up for the recovery period. Good luck with it all :)
Back to top Go down
reddragon
reddragon

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-08-24

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single mums   Single mums EmptyThu 23 Oct 2014, 8:42 am

Thanks for all those tips Garfield99!!

I love the frozen meals idea..I hadnt thought about that tbh....but def a timesaver and great for when I dont have the energy to stand up cooking.

I dont have anyone that could drive her to school as my mum is too old, my sister lives too far away and my friends all work.. so Im just hoping I can go with the flow when the time comes and fingers crossed I will be feeling ok.

Def writing down in my surgery folder all this stuff so I can put it all into action the closer it comes to surgery.

Thanks again! :)
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single mums   Single mums EmptyWed 22 Oct 2014, 3:58 am

Hi Reddragon and congratulations on getting the sleeve. You are actually quite lucky your child is old enough so you won't need to do too much running around but here are a few tips to help you get through as for the first 2-3weeks you won't want to be doing much more then sleeping, resting whilst you recover:

- Pre-prepare meals for her for atleast two weeks.  Giving her a frozen dinner doesn't make you a bad mother or even pre-cook some mince bolognaise which can be used for spaghetti bolognaise, tacos or lasagna
- Get some DVD's/movies you guys can watch together as you can catch a bit of shut eye
- Organise friends parents to pick up/drop off your child for play dates so you can have some quiet time
- If you have some nice friends, ask if they mind coming over to help entertain your child, maybe a bit of housework whilst you rest as picking up a dropped remote control was an ordeal for me lol
- Buy her something easy and crafty to keep her busy,  even go together a few days before to buy some things she would like to try out
- Buy her some books, even the first few series to keep her occupied
- No driving for the first week so ask other mums to take her to school if she is unable to walk/ride there.  You could be in a lot of pain and on strong medications.
- Make sure you have your own variety of different fluids on hand and be aware you may develop intolerances (usually milk) or taste buds change.
- Have as much as your food shopping done before.  Lunch meats & bread can be frozen to help last longer and just give her easy snacks you can throw together.
- Degas and peppermint tea for you to help get rid of the built up gas - walking is the best thing but depending on how you recover it could be hobbling lol (everyone is different)
- If you are feeling nauseated at all in hospital, get the surgeon to prescribe you an anti-nausea as you are being discharged as easier then trying to get to the Dr's later asking for a script

Be aware you will be sleepy and nauseated so give her a heads up telling her it will only be for a few weeks as you recover so she isn't annoyed with you.  Good luck :-)
Back to top Go down
reddragon
reddragon

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-08-24

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Single mums   Single mums EmptyWed 22 Oct 2014, 2:58 am

Im a single mum with an 11yr old daughter, I do 50/50 shared care weekly with her dad so Im hoping to have the surgery on the week that I dont have my daughter so I have a full week of complete rest.

Just curious as to how many other single mums there may be on  here and how you have juggled/will juggle kids,work, recovery from surgery on your own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Single mums Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single mums   Single mums Empty

Back to top Go down

Single mums
Page 1 of 1