15 posters
AuthorMessage
Lubelu
Lubelu

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-07-15

How long was your post-op stay in hospital Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 17 Aug 2013, 4:34 am

I had my surgery August 6. I had a drain in my abdomen for 2 days. I went in on the Tuesday and came home of Friday. By Friday I was on minimal pain medication - actually it was children's liquid Panadol. Sipping soup and drinking some water and juice. 

Everyday I'm finding I can take large sips of water. I'm eating more and feeling good.
Back to top Go down
Http://diaryofagastricsleever.com.au
Jasmellea

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-10-03

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyFri 16 Aug 2013, 1:22 pm

In for 3 nights then home for 2 nights. Back in hospital for 3 more nights for IV antibiotics (preventative because of a huge haematoma). Now home again today.
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyFri 16 Aug 2013, 8:56 am

I was in for 3 nights, no ICU, no swallow test, no drains.
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
The new me

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-30

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyFri 16 Aug 2013, 5:04 am

jalou wrote:
Good to hear how everyone goes. I just had my sleeve surgery last Thursday 8/8/2013. 4 nights in hospital for me. I am home today. The first night was in the high dependency unit - quite uneventful. Not much sleep in hospital at all. Thought I would be more nauseated than I was - hardly any nausea at all. Then 3 nights on the general surgical ward. Surgeon really good about hydration and monitoring blood test every day. Had IV fluids right up to about one hour before discharge time - it was so good getting that out. And . . .  Oh what wonderful bliss getting home to a nice soft bed mattress.
 Had surgery 08:30 Monday 12th, 1 night in ICU, next night on the ward in a single room, third night in my own bed.
very little pain, no nausea, no problems with eating (read sipping) a whole lot better than I was prepared for, the worst part of the whole procedure was the Gastro Graffin Xray swallow test, I doubt they could have found a worse tasting drink if they tried Triple YUK :562:then the nurse put me in a recovery room and said if you feel like vomiting do not under any circumstances try to hold it in if it gets into your lungs you will go into respiratory arrest, just what I needed to hear then she went off and left me with only a buzzer.

All in all it was a breeze and good to be back home again.
Cheers.
Doug.
Back to top Go down
jalou

Female
Registration date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyMon 12 Aug 2013, 5:06 am

Good to hear how everyone goes. I just had my sleeve surgery last Thursday 8/8/2013. 4 nights in hospital for me. I am home today. The first night was in the high dependency unit - quite uneventful. Not much sleep in hospital at all. Thought I would be more nauseated than I was - hardly any nausea at all. Then 3 nights on the general surgical ward. Surgeon really good about hydration and monitoring blood test every day. Had IV fluids right up to about one hour before discharge time - it was so good getting that out. And . . .  Oh what wonderful bliss getting home to a nice soft bed mattress.
Back to top Go down
stuss28
stuss28

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2013-05-17

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySun 11 Aug 2013, 12:38 pm

I was sleeved on Friday morning and came home today . Only two nights but was feeling good was up and mobile sipping fine i had had no pain relief since the friday night except panadol and that was more because I felt really achey so dr  said I could go home . If at any stage I'm concerned or worried the hospital has said they are only a call away .
I think it depends on each person if your not up to it say and generally the nurses know how you are managing .
Back to top Go down
OzChick78
OzChick78

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013, 1:11 pm

4 nights for me.....no complications.

I was originally in a shared room for 2 nights....then moved to a private room once I needed less assistance.

The last 2 nights in a private room helped speed my recovery, better sleep.  Was allowed to close the door during the night. 

I just enjoyed it and relaxed....knowing that when I went home, housework was waiting.
Back to top Go down
Bailey1275

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptyMon 29 Jul 2013, 12:30 pm

I went in on the Monday about 2pm and went home on the Thursday. Considering it was about 3:15am on the Tuesday morning before I woke from surgery (i was asleep before they gave me the first needle) ... and then I just rolled over and went back to sleep before waking again a couple of hours later only to go to the toilet. I slept most of the Tuesday and had terrible headaches on the Wednesday so the morphine made me rather sleepy.

The woman beside me had the same surgery and she was in the same length of time as me.
Back to top Go down
Angel_Est1982
Part of the furniture
Angel_Est1982

Female
Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySun 28 Jul 2013, 5:21 am

I was in for 2 nights but could have stayed another if I needed. 
They'll make sure that you're doing ok before they'll let you go and they'll also make sure you've got pain killers and other medications (anti-nausea) in case you may need them. 

If you're not comfortable with going home after 2 days, tell them! 

Everything will be fine and you'll be recovering in no time :)
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySun 28 Jul 2013, 1:03 am

I was told 2-3 nights nd pain wise would have been okay on 2nd dy but I had a slight fever and because I had pneumonia 12 months earlier and asthma decided to have the extra time in hospital especially given I was an hour away from hospital!
Was fine after 3 nights, temperature settled and I had an uncomplicated recovery at home!
Good luck!
Linda
Back to top Go down
boondirock
boondirock

Female
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 11:45 pm

I was in hospital for 3 nights. The DR did say I could go home if I wanted to on day 2 but I thought the same thing with my bed. Even though the hospital beds were uncomfortable (I love my bed) I was using the auto incline a lot when I was getting pains. And I was sleeping nearly upright. There was also 3 other people that got sleeved the same day as me and they all stayed the 3 days too. If your health cover is covering it why not use it? We pay them enough lol. 
Plus I found the first 48 hours really bad, but day 3 I was soo much better. If I came home on day 2 my hubby and kids would have been worried for me and didn't want that. 
Good luck for surgery :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 10:58 am

I am such a sook I will definitely be putting my hand up for the extra day if I can. My bed at home doesnt go up and down to help me out. :(
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 10:10 am

the American health system is totally different (really shite) compared to ours. My sister had a baby there recently and only stayed in 1 night no other choice and they have PHI. We whinge abit here but even with PHI she was out about $5k just for a baby.

I went in Friday and got out Monday. The Dr was thinking of keeping me in an extra night as I was having difficulty with my breathing but was fine by Monday. Totally not prepared so had to get a friend to pick me up insteaed of my brother.
Back to top Go down
Ting Ting
Ting Ting

Female
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 8:08 am

No complications.  Would have been 3 nights but I had someone in Perth to stay with so they let me out after 2 nights.
Back to top Go down
Debaria
Debaria

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 6:46 am

2 Nights - 1st one in and next one in a shared room - yuk.
Back to top Go down
BecsMum
BecsMum

Male
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 5:49 am

I was told 3-4 nights and stayed 3 nights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital EmptySat 27 Jul 2013, 5:09 am

I've been reading all these American posts on a different site and they were all saying that they only had one night in hospital!!!
OMG!!!
I am going in on a Monday and doc said I should be going home Friday. So 4 nights in hospital.

How long did every body else say? And was it because of complications?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long was your post-op stay in hospital   How long was your post-op stay in hospital Empty

Back to top Go down

How long was your post-op stay in hospital
Page 1 of 1