Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeping up with medications

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Keeping up with medications  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptyThu 11 Jul 2013, 3:41 pm

I have been such a pro active little trooper this past fortnight lol.

I have been waiting for this surgery for so long that I have discussed my meds with my doctor and switched a few of them to soluble...like wafers that you place on your tongue and let them dissolve.

The only one I haven't touched in the blood pressure one.  The change of anti-depressants has given me low blood pressure...what a change that is lol.  We decided that I will be in a hospital environment where they can monitor it and if I need a medication I could get one prescribed then.

My reflux one is 1/4 the size of a tic tac so I have left that one alone and the anti migraine ones are also tiny...just like the contraceptive pill...dry swallow if necessary but very easily taken with minute amounts of water.

Most medications will have a soluble form so don't forget to check with chemist or doctor :)
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 2:41 am

Yes, I checked with the surgeon, however, I am able to take quite a few tabs in one "sitting" ... I take loads of supplements and have only had trouble with one particularly large mother!! My gag reflex is a lot more sensitive since my op... My doc said that if I could swallow them, then he was happy for me to have them! lol. See what yours says :)
Back to top Go down
hbleattler

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 12:56 am

Thanks for the advice, Nini. I do have an appointment next week regarding my diabetes medication and I'll have him look at the BP as well. In the meantime, I'll double check with my surgeon's office regarding what can be crushed and what can't be crushed.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

Hi hbleattler,

Have you been keeping a close watch on your Blood pressure and blood sugars? After surgery these can change rapidly especially with this type of operation. Many people find that their blood pressure drops after surgery especially if they are dehydrated and their salt intake is much reduced. Do you have a home BP machine? If not it probably would be a good idea to get your GP to check it. You don't mention what type of tablets you are taking, if they are slow/extended release tablets then you can't crush them or cut them in half. Ask your chemist if there is a smaller version of your tablets or if it is OK to cut your tablets in half.

Did you discuss your operation with the Dr. who looks after your diabetes? He may need to make some changes to the dosages as your eating patterns change.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm

I have taken my tablets while since my surgeon gave me permission two days post op. I used to take everything in themorning, now i take two in the morning and two at night, just so it's not so much for my stomach to handle at once. Initially i was taking I've at a time, I'm 5 Wells post op now and can take two at a time, but those two are one big and one small. I would not recommend cutting them on half as that leaves pointy edges which may not be good for your stomach.
Back to top Go down
Bailey1275

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

I have just started take multi vitamin tablets (mini's) and find the seem to sit in my stomach and the make me feel like I am full - so I take them first thing in the morning and then have "breakfast" some 2hrs later.

You may need to talk to you doctor as I was told some tablets shouldn't be crushed up as they have a special coating that delay or slow the release of the medication.
Back to top Go down
hbleattler

Male

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 11:06 am

Jarrah, Do you find that you're able to swallow a whole pill like before surgery? I tried that once yesterday morning and I didn't have a problem with it but I don't want to put any undue pressure on my new stomach. Also, can I take them all at once like before or do I need to space them out over the day?

Thanks for your help with this.
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 9:49 am

??? Not sure as i have been OK with tablets from day 1... but can you maybe have crushed medication in a little runny yoghurt to make it easier to swallow?? Hope you find a suitable solution hbleattler Keeping up with medications  65317
Back to top Go down
hbleattler

Male

PostSubject: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 9:42 am

My post-op instructions are to begin re-taking my pre-op prescriptions--this includes my blood pressure and diabetes medicines. I'm not sure how to take those pills. They are not chewable and if I crush them I feel like I'm spending all day just getting those down. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up with medications    Keeping up with medications  Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping up with medications
Page 1 of 1