lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptySat 12 May 2012, 3:35 pm

thanks for the feedback, I need to in touch with my friend to see how she is feeling
Back to top Go down
kelmac

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-12

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptySat 12 May 2012, 2:43 pm

thanks so much trishah band versus sleeve 618285
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptySat 12 May 2012, 1:23 pm

I have had absolutely no adverse problems with the sleeve at all except weightloss and only being able to eat a quarter cup of anything I like and being content and warm sated by it.

Reflux...nothing. I am on Nexium as part of the healing process of the sleeve and will be for at least 6 months then I will come off it to see what happens if the reflux rises I will go back on the nexium

With the band I was on Nexium 40mg, zantac and gaviscon all at once and nothing fixed it so to be able to take a 20mg Nexium now and have no sign of any reflux at all ... I am very happy.

I have talked to others who have been sleeved around the same time as me and they have suffered reflux but have been on older PPI's... once they change to Nexium it goes away.

I have a size 34 sleeve as my doc said this and a 36 is the best size for someone who suffered with reflux. Any smaller and it most likely would be a problem, any larger and I would struggle to lose weight after the band... this is just his opinion though.

I have just moved on to solids and can eat steak, lamb, fish and chicken with no issue but in small amounts... a few mouthfuls and its like I have eaten an entire steak and I am content to push it away and feel happy fed. I have had some apple slices too, again no pain or stuck feeling... just a pleasant completed end to eating.
Back to top Go down
kelmac

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-12

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptySat 12 May 2012, 1:12 pm

trishah I am so glad to hear you had the same problems as I had! I thought I was the only one and it's wonderful to know that there is someone who would understand what I have experienced. I still have my band in and I am considering having further surgery. Not sure which procedure yet so I'm doing my homework.

When you went from the band to the sleeve did you experience any of the same problems you had with the band? I am traumatised (dramatic word, but honest) from having chronic reflux, not being able to drink water and nearly passing out in public because I was trying to 'push food through'. I'm scared I am going to have problems with the sleeve or bypass but be stuck with it because they're irreversible.

Any advice??

Thanks
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptyMon 07 May 2012, 9:57 pm

I think the band is the only medicare covered Wls Lin

I had a band and though I lost 70 kilos with it, it was all my own hard work. I ran a loose band.. I only ever had 3ml in my band but it still ended up stretched and I had reflux. I never ate more than a 1/4 cup of food in a sitting, followed all the rules and was constantly starving hungry.

I had chronic reflux to the point of drowning in my own vomit that no medication would cure. I had my band for 4 years and hated it. It was painful, anti social and embarrassing.

I am normal now with my sleeve and to me it feels like a normal stomach all be it with smaller capasity. I had no idea how much misery and pain I was in until the band was removed.

I have nothing good to say about a lapband....and I got off easy compare to many others on this site.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve EmptyMon 07 May 2012, 2:19 pm

hi

i have a friend who is up for lapband surgery at flinders through medicare as she has been on waiting list. I told her i would get lapband but I don't know her finance situation. I thought I would ask for a realistic view and opinion of band v sleeve.

what are the pros and cons of band?

what are pros and cons of sleeve?

is the band the only wls option medicare pays for?

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

band versus sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: band versus sleeve   band versus sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

band versus sleeve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: