Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???

Go down 
+8
Torigirl
butterflyfallen
Angelmystique
MissHel
Bex
Lella
SueM
Blink108
12 posters
AuthorMessage
beckash
beckash

Female
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptySat 11 Aug 2012, 3:12 pm

Hi I applied to get $5500 out of my super on the 1st of August ( i didnt include what my medicare and private health insurance rebated). I received a phone call from DHS on Friday

(only 8 business days - they say it usually is assesed within 10 and then a letter is sent out ith a yes, no or more info required)

They advised I had applied for to little and I need to apply for the entire amount I said ok and she said it was approved and I would get the letter in the mail this week....

Im hoping now that the super people dont twiddle their thumbs as I have to pay for everything a week before surgery and my surgery date is 5th sept....

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Kackers
Kackers

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-07-27

Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptySat 11 Aug 2012, 4:52 am

I have applied for early release super and asked for $20,000. I dont care about the cost as I am like Sue in that I believe I will not be here to use my super in retirement cos I am already slowly killing myself. Still waiting to hear.
Back to top Go down
MissHel
Part of the furniture
MissHel

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyMon 06 Aug 2012, 3:06 am

Just realised I haven't updated since May! Now I'm 2 months post op!

I was approved for the release of $19k of my super. They looked at my quotes and said $17k isn't enough so we've released more. I was so happy I cried.

My surgery was very expensive - but it was done by someone considered a 'genius' in the field. Now that I'm 2 months down I couldn't be happier - best $20k I ever spent!

Good luck to all waiting for their outcomes and soon-to-be-sleevers

H
Back to top Go down
sydgirl

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-08-05

PostSubject: used my super for total cost    Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptySun 05 Aug 2012, 1:37 am

Hi everyone

Getting sleveed tomorrow no phi - used my super as am sure i can make it up before the gov will let me have it.

Also just a note - becasue i can not cover any extra costs say over $500.00 from out of pocket the hospital has agreed any extra charges they will wait for as my super was aproved for the op it will also be approved for any extra chages - extra night etc etc.

Last thing i want to beworried about is not being in hospital for long enough becasue i cant pay.

Using my super was the only option - waiting 12 months.... not.... but this is just how i feel..

Going in for sleeve monday ughhhhhh
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyThu 19 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

I know you if you fit the criteria to have your super released you can have up to 80% and remember they will take tax out too. I did not have enough super to cover the whole surgery without PHI so I had to join and wait the 12 months. Then I had enough as then it was $11000 cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Torigirl
Torigirl

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyThu 12 Jul 2012, 4:09 am

Yes, Ive gone with oclinic so still need to pay $4,950 and $500 co payment But its a lot less then $17k.
Back to top Go down
SueM
SueM

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyThu 12 Jul 2012, 3:11 am

Hi all,

Just to let you know, I did get a release of my super. In the end they release $11,500 as I had some shares that I had to sell. It all worked out well in the end as the cost of the hospital was almost $5,000 over quoted and the gas man was $450 over quoted so I got some money back.

I could have paid for 12 months of PHI which would have been about $6000 and then the gap fees which would have been considerable but then I would have also had to wait 12 months. I had my sleeve done on 18 June and already feel so much better for it 12kg down and adjusting nicely.

So worth it.

Sue
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyMon 09 Jul 2012, 6:47 am

Im not sure if they have changed how they decide who to approve or not since its no longer APRA, but i accessed $12k last yr for the surgery as i only had basic cover and it didnt cover the sleeve (had already waited 12 months thinking i had the RIGHT cover... so wasnt prepared to wait another 12 months and change again...). I actually asked for 11k and they gave me $12,088 as they said i had under quoted myself!
Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyTue 15 May 2012, 10:19 am

BLINK - why dont u just up the level of cover

i know there are surgeons out there that will do it for under $2k

if not fly to perth an see my surgeon - all up costs its $1800. thats $1000 fo rhim, $600 for sleep man and $200 excess for hospital

so yes i have private health - and it was worth it

i wont take it out ofmy super.. i need it lol
Back to top Go down
MissHel
Part of the furniture
MissHel

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyTue 15 May 2012, 9:44 am

I'm in the process of getting mine released. I've asked for $17k. I figure if I don't have this surgery I probably won't make it to retirement.

Lots of people on this site appear to have had their super released to help pay for it. Even if they have PHI, cos the gap is hefty too.
Back to top Go down
Bex
Part of the furniture
Bex

Female
Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyTue 15 May 2012, 4:59 am

Im not sure about the super but Ive been waiting out my PIH Ive got just under 3 months to go and it has flown by :):)
Back to top Go down
Lella

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyTue 15 May 2012, 4:44 am

wow! thats a lot to pay. I had PHI for this very purpose but after chickening out I rang up my provider and dropped my cover a few months ago convinced that i didnt need the surgery and could loose weight on my own.. well i failed and rang my PHI to upgrade cover and they said that i have to wait a further 12 mths!!!!!

Im not happy, but what else can i do? I refuse to use all my super. Why dont you do the same and just wait that 12 months and save for the gap? Its a HELL of a lot cheaper!

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
SueM
SueM

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyWed 25 Apr 2012, 5:57 am

Good question!

I am in the same boat but have no private health insurance at all.

I am looking to request almost $20,000.

Has anyone had success accessing this type of cost from their super?

Sue
Back to top Go down
Blink108

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? EmptyWed 25 Apr 2012, 5:36 am

Help.... I only have basic health cover, and was hoping to get early release of super for entire cost!!! Help now I'm scared I won't get approved!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???   Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has any1 been approved for all expenses for sleeve as I only have basic phi???
Page 1 of 1