Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: suggestions    help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 4:29 am

Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas - will follow up

G
Back to top Go down
Catapult

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptySun 25 Mar 2012, 2:30 am

Glenmaree> you should be able to pick up asafoetida in any Indian grocery store - I love trawling those places. Adelaide has them popping up everywhere.

I did a google search "indian spices brisbane qld" and found several companies, I don't know the suburb of Brisbane so can't suggest any close to you I'm afraid.

Cat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

yes that is an excellent resource....
Back to top Go down
NoLongerA"Wanttobe"
NoLongerA

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2011-08-17

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 12:36 pm

Have a look for Sue Shepherd's Low FODMAP cookbooks.
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

I'm also intolerant to the onion family (not sleeve-related, it's something I have always had) but it helps that I cannot STAND the taste or smell of onion, leeks, shallots, spring onion or chives and can pick out their presence a mile away. Even the smell of it cooking makes me nauseous. Garlic is another matter though - love the stuff unfortunately.

I cook a lot with herbs and spices. Oregano is a favourite, as is herby sea salt and cajun or moroccan seasoning (some have onion relatives in though, so I read the labels). I also use capers sometimes - they are tasty little things in salads or whatnot. I tend to use a lot of tomato and olives as well.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: thanks   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 8:35 am

Hi All

Thanks for the assistance - Catapult do you know where I can buy that spice please.

G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

Trouble is they may not contain garlic or onion but may contain another ingredient that causes issue. So she will have to look very hard at the ingredients in any of the spices and research them to see if they will react with her tummy.

It is unfortunately not an easy diet but you do get used to it
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 4:50 am

Cat some great ideas :)
Back to top Go down
Catapult

Female
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-11-11

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 4:23 am

My Indian friends use a powder called asafoetida to replace onion and garlic. Beware it really stinks! But makes foods taste nice. This is what wiki says:

However, its odour and flavour become much milder and more pleasant upon heating in oil or ghee, acquiring a taste and aroma reminiscent of sautéed onion and garlic.[4]

I think the carb intolerance originates in the small intestine so it wouldn't clear up with time after the sleeve.

There is a small group of BUddhists (not sure of the ENglish name, maybe Tao Buddhists?) who don't use onion and garlic, they are also vegetarian. Their food doesn't lack any flavour! Maybe look closely at the China Town food courts in your city and see if any of the shops have signs about no garlic/onion in their fare.

Cat.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyFri 23 Mar 2012, 4:15 am

i love onions and garlic, that sucks. you cant even use garlic powder?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyThu 22 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

Nope I have that too ...sadly nothing recreates the flavour of onions or garlic... you do get used to it though.... it beats the pain in the stomach that morphein wont even budge

I have learned to love protein with a passion

I am also cassein intolerant which makes optiarse a bit of a difficult time but we get through it

Hopefully for you though its just because your surgery was only a few months ago... I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it eventually settles with time.
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female

PostSubject: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? EmptyThu 22 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm

After lots of investigations, I have been told that I may have short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption which is a trigger for IBS. I have a huge list of foods that I should not eat, top of the list is onion and garlic. I can live without some foods if it means no more pain but now need some ideas for flavour.

Anyone have any flavour ideas to replace onion, garlic, leek - all were key ingredients in my braised protein meals. I have a freezer full of little meals - all containing the NO foods - luckily I cook for my elderly mother so she will eat well for the nexxt few weeks!!! There is a silver lining in every crappy cloud.

G
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????   help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone???? Empty

Back to top Go down

help - short chain carrbohydrate malabsorption anyone????
Page 1 of 1