Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Belle91

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-01-16

North Shore Private Hospital. Empty
PostSubject: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 4:55 am

Hi everyone.

I am booked into getting my surgery on the 20th April at the North Shore Private Hospital by Dr Garrett Smith.

I was just looking for anyone else that has had there surgery at this hospital? And if anyone could give me their experience of the place and staff?

Thanks a bunch
Bell
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-02-04

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 5:44 am

Hi Belle

I was sleeved almost 4 weeks ago at North Shore Private by Garret's offsider, Dr Steve Leibman.

The whole experience at NSP was okay but I was a little disappointed in the hospital and the staff in general. The surgeons and anaethetists were fantastic, the nursing staff lacked a little bedside manner in my opinion. I guess if you are the 'squeeky wheel' then you may get on ok, I wasn't and didn't seem to have any one come near me too often.

Don't get me wrong, everything was very professional and they all knew what they were doing, I just felt a little bit shoved in a corner and left for 4 days!

Drove 8 hrs from the country (not far from you) and couldn't wait to get home!!

Let me know if you want any more info, maybe my expecations were a little high but being self funded I expected a whole lot more service!

JH
Back to top Go down
Belle91

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 6:19 am

Oh wow thats not good to hear! I was kind of hoping you would say it was fantastic haha!

Did your surgeon see you daily?? What was the hospital like, did you have your own room?

Im just hoping on getting through the days i have to be there and to get home!

Thanks for your reply. How have you been going post op? Any tips you could share?
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:07 am

Haha, sorry Belle, it's all good... just my opinion s hopefully you will have a much better experience. Speak Up if you need something, that's all I can say, don't wait for the random chance that they might pop their head in on you! Because I'm still waiting... lol

The hospital was very nice, just like walking into a FANCY motel!! It didn't have a hospital feel at all, very clean and modern and quiet??? That bit I didn't understand lol. I think it is amazing what a bit of extra carpet does! Bathrooms were a good size too, coffee shop and gift shop down stairs (not that I saw inside either of those!)

The staff on admission were great, the nurses that 'prepped' me were very nice and the anaethetist was so nice, very caring (and HOT!) ahem! Not that I noticed.. hehe. Very sympathetic to how they knew you would be feeling.

I somehow managed to score my own private room, don't know how but I'm not complaining about that! It was great. With a view of the rooftop, lol. The rooms across from me looked like they were a double share.

I went in on the Thursday morning (Surgery was around 1pm) and my surgeon visited me Friday morning and Saturday morning (his day off) I went home on the Sunday. He visited me in recovery aswell to tell me all went well, can't remember what else he said then lol.

I couldn't wait to get out of there but if you don't feel up to it please don't rush yourself! I had an 8 hour drive home on the Sunday and didn't handle it very well at all, it was way too much too quick! I think it set me back a little bit, also had a reaction to the pain killers they sent me home with but once I worked all that out recovery was quick. It DOES get better each day.

The days in hospital went very very quickly! I was dozy and able to get plenty of sleep, around the nurses taking obs etc.

The best bit of advice I can give you is to read the information on this forum inside and out! Ask as many questions as you like, no matter how dumb you think they are. These wonderful people got me through my surgery because I had no one in person to talk to that knew anything about it. Everyone is different and don't compare yourself to someone else, but the info on here is fantastic and all first hand!

ALmost 4 weeks out and I feel great, still learning what foods sit right and what don't but I've managed to do that without making myself too sick.

Hope all goes well for you, keep us updated, and feel free to keep posting the questions!

JH
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:24 am

Hi Belle

I was sleeved at North Shore Private with Dr Steve Leibman Dec 15th. I found the hospital nice and very clean. Most of the staff were very good but some were very reserved. willing to help if asked but seemed very busy. Maybe a shortage of staff? Don't be backward in asking for what you want. I was having problems eating and drinking and asked for a chocolate breaka drink which they brought up for me for breakfast (kept me going all day and was all I could handle). They have bottled water which you may need to ask for if it isn't brought to you once you start drinking, they can also give you cordial in it or apple juice, just ask.

You will be in a single room with your own bathroom. Austar is connected (you pay for austar and internet when you book in if you want it.) You don't go to your room until after recovery. Pre-op is all downstairs near the front door. You are prepped there and in your bed in a small room (with a tv) while you wait to go to theatre. Your bags are put on a trolley with everyone else's and delivered to your room before you return. (Mine sat on the floor at the end of the bed the whole stay as I couldn't lift it to unpack and had no-one to help.) Actually had to ask a nurse to help me get some PJ's out for shower.

I found the hospital to be too cold at night, (I shut the door each nite to keep the noise and light out). the last 2 nights i stuck 2 heat pads to my pj's to keep me warm so a warm dressing gown or cardigan would be a good idea.

Are you driving or flying? I flew down and back, it was much easier than a car trip, Hayley would probably agree to that!

I am not far from you either so if you want to talk or have any other questions, let me know.

Wishing you all the best for the 20th.

Jessied
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:26 am

Oh, also Belle

the food sounds great according to what was offered on the menu - that really rubs salt into the wound when you are sitting there with a bowl of pureed porridge and no sugar!!!

Could have been eating croissants and jam ###!^%%

lol
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 7:41 am

You too Jessied?????

My first REAL breakfast that wasn't apple juice or water was on the Sunday that I was discharged (they kept stuffing up my menu when I should have been on full fluids they kept bringing me clear fluids), they brought in some very runny porridge and I was so excited by that, but No sugar!! It was gross!! So I packed my bag and got the hell out! lol

Yes the menus were a tease!!
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

The tea lady decided I was nil by mouth for the first 2 days!! Think the nurses had the same idea except for ice... North Shore Private Hospital. 697586
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 18 Mar 2012, 9:20 am

that sucks! I will NEVER look at jelly the same way again, especially green jelly lol. blergh!
Back to top Go down
Shyne
Shyne

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2013-03-13

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013, 5:59 am

Sawwwwwwwwwwwry to bump this old thread.

But it's totally relevant to me now! LOL

I'm booked under Garret for the sleeve on 8th April, and if anyone of you lovely ladies are still around the forum I've got a few more Qs? lol.

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

Hi Shyne
Still poking around 12 months on. I was sleeved by Garrett's offsider Dr Leibman at north shore private, and he has since taken my gall bladder at RNS. Saw Garrett for one of my follow ups in tamworth.

Best wishes on your journey! Not long to go now. I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions from the many experienced people on this forum! Feel free to ask away if I can help with anything specific.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Shyne
Shyne

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyWed 13 Mar 2013, 10:56 pm

Hi Hayley!

Thank you. 12 months! Wow, I hope you're well.

I'm going down alone, as my hubby has no time off work so I'm anxious about not having family there to assist me. So hopefully the nurses will not ignore me too much lol.

Did you stay close to the hospital? I've been told the Greenwhich Inn is the best and closest place to stay?

I'm flying down and back. - I've prebooked flights, staying from Monday (Surgery day) until Friday, as they told me usually allow 4 nights, but my flight back means I have to be at the airport at 11am. So I hope they will release me in the morning early enough....Just little concerns like that.
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013, 1:22 am

Hi Shyne!
Yes I think the Greenwich Inn would be the best place to stay. It is very close walking distance to the hospital and its cheap. Unfortunately I didn't know the area well enough and was told the Urban was the closest motel so I booked in there. It was very pricy and not worth it! And right next door to the Greenwich so I later found out.

When I stayed the hospital mentioned that they discharge around 9 or 10am but because I was up showered and dressed by 6am they let me go as I think it was easier to do the discharge papers than a whole new set of obs again lol. I was out the door by 7am so I'm sure if you let then know they will work it out for you!

Don't overpack! Keep in mind you aren't allowed to be lifting after the surgery (and definately won't want to be) so pack light if you are on your own and ask for help at the airport!

Hope all goes well for you, looking forward to hearing how you go :)
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Shyne
Shyne

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyThu 14 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

Yeah I've got a little overnight suitcase that has wheels so I'm taking that.
When you say walking distance, is it just a block or two? or 4-5 blocks? lol - walking distance for some may not be for others North Shore Private Hospital. 314562

Thanks for your advice!!!
xoxo
Back to top Go down
JustHayley
Part of the furniture
JustHayley

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013, 12:28 am

The view from the motel is the hospital! It's right across the road lol.
Back to top Go down
Shyne
Shyne

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyFri 15 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

Ahh well that's good :)
I am getting there around lunchtime on Sunday, so I figure to stop myself going crazy in my room at the motel I'll take a walk so I can find the entrance etc at the hospital to save getting lost the next day.... lol
Back to top Go down
jessied
Part of the furniture
jessied

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptySun 17 Mar 2013, 9:57 am

Hi Shyne
Like Hayley I was also sleeved at North Shore private hospital by Steve. I was sleeved in December 2011 so am 15 months out and below goal. I flew to Sydney also s d booked into the same inn. Less than a 2 minute walk to the front door of the hospital. Go yo google maps and type in Greenwich inn and the suburb and you will be as to " walk" along the street. The more you are familiar with where you are going the easier it is.
I am sending you a pm. Check your messages
Jessied
Back to top Go down
Shyne
Shyne

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013, 4:11 am

Hey Ladies

Can I ask about valuables?

Thinking of taking my ipad and iphone for something to do (and keep in touch) and wondering do you think that it's a risk to do so?
I can get a lock for my suitcase if need be.
Back to top Go down
Belle91

Female

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. EmptyFri 29 Mar 2013, 4:46 am

Hi,
Wow it's been a while since Ive come on here, and just relised this was a post that I started! What a year it has been. How are you feeling about the surgery? Nervous at all? Some say they were very nervous before hand, but to be honest I never even thought about it before hand and Ive never looked back! It is the most amazing thing I have done. I love it.
I started at about 103kg, now sitting around 66kg. Still not quite at my goal of 64 but at the moment I dont really care!
I went down with my parents, we drove down. I stayed 4 nights, probably could have gone home after 3 nights but we were driving home so they thought it would be best to stay an extra night. The drive home was a bit of a killer. I was sore and exhausted by the time we got home!
You should be fine with valuables, just put them in your bag I would suggest.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Shore Private Hospital.   North Shore Private Hospital. Empty

Back to top Go down

North Shore Private Hospital.
Page 1 of 1