Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?

Go down 
+8
Janette
Kate
Jodizzle
tinyteddy
butterflyfallen
J
Caz
Kateh (Bluedog)
12 posters
AuthorMessage
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 7:52 am

I keep buying clothes in size 8, thinking, 'they must be a BIG 8!', but I still cannot see that I am a size 8-10.

I brought a size 8 linen shirt in Sussan the other day, and they are not known for making sizes THAT big! My jeans are a size 9, and across the shoulders, I am tiny!

But still, I look in the mirror and see size 12-14, which I know I am NOT by the sizes hanging in the wardrobe...

Maybe this is how anorexics see themselves? I am most definitely NOT anorexic, because I still eat well, and sometimes the wrong things. An anorexic would stress about it, but I just know what I eat evens out over a week, so I feel fine.

I do look forward to the day when I see the thin person I know I am! My photos are evidently that, and I get a shock when I see them.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyTue 28 Feb 2012, 5:42 am

Update; this morning I may have had a break through. I have had a large weight loss this week after a 3week plateau & brought new 2 piece bathers that arrived in the mail. So I tentatively tried them on, I have always been a board shorts & big T swimmer, looked in the mirror & for the first time since my journey started I liked what I saw in the mirror! Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? 487524
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 2:43 am

G'Day again all that took the time to post, THANK YOU SO MUCH, you have given me some motivation to get over this self image slump & get my head back into gear. Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? 217555

I regrettably never took pre surgery measurements & photos are few & far between but I managed to dig out a couple & do some comparisons. I think I will just cover the mirror & enjoy the distorted image shop windows give me as I walk by LOL!!

Thanks again & I hope everyone is enjoying their new slimmer bodies, man that was a dumb statement!!!!!!!! D'oh

Kate
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 1:29 am

yes, yes and yes...

I am totally on the same page here, and I am 19mths post op! I haven't lost a pound in three months but my shape is chaninging again! This really is an incredible journey, not only does it play with our bodies but it plays with our minds. How can I get into a size UK14 top today... and not in October without losing weight???? Hmmm...

The poster that recommended getting the tape measure out is spot on. I did this a few weeks ago as I was starting to feel down again about this dreaded stall...

I measure my thigh now, then put the tape measure to where it used to be... OMG... what a difference! I repeated this in several areas, hips (wow) waist (OMG) bust ... you get the idea. Then I sat back and patted myself on the back for a job well done!

I also need that visual reference too... I will often look at my before photos just to check! I know it sounds strange, at really at my time served, this shouldn't be an issue, but it still is... I am hopind that when I get to goal, or at least feel that I am 'done' I will start to accept the new me?

For the time being... just be kind to yourself and do what ever makes you feel good...

Oh, and I love the title of the thread...lol
Back to top Go down
NoLongerA"Wanttobe"
NoLongerA

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2011-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyWed 15 Feb 2012, 12:25 am

Kate - similar head space here, too. We've lost a large chunk of weight in a short space of time. My head knows it, and while I CAN see the difference in a lot of places, I still see the parts of me that are fat every time I look in the mirror.

I know that I will see myself differently with time, though. I had my first fleeting moment of loving my body on Monday, when I tried on a brand new dress I'd ordered from the US. It's figure-hugging, and while it doesn't do my (still huge) tummy any favours, it looks AWESOME on the rest of me. I literally squealed out loud when I tried it on, punched the air a couple of times to boot.

My (sad) favourite thing to do atm is take a head shot with my phone camera every couple of weeks, and compare it with a photo I have on there taken in August last year. It's like I'm two different people ! It REALLY helps for me to visualise my weight loss journey when I can compare like with like.

I hope we all learn to love the bodies we're in, and see the real us when we look in the mirror.

Cheers,

W2B :)
Back to top Go down
Bev
Part of the furniture
Bev

Female
Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm

Kate - You are not alone with this. I know I am slimmer but when I strip off for my shower each morning I still fat and in my mind I haven't changed. It is definitely mental conditioning and because we have shed the weight so quickly I think it will take some time for that to catch up.

The unfortunate side to losing large amounts of weight is the loose skin tone which also puts a negative slant to the reflexion we see. I am more incline to go - wow - when I unintentional get a glimps of myself in a shop window - fully clothed of course :) - and that is pleasing.
I agree - get your before photo out and put it next to a one taken recently and see how far you have come.

Love your new photo with the gorgeous Ella!

Bev
O

Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

Its takes a long time for the head to catch up with the body. I am over 2 years out and still see big fat thighs.........and I have had plastic surgery on them!!!

I look in the mirror and see a skinny me, now size 10, but when I just look at me, ie sitting here on the lounge I can see big thighs!!

When one has been obese for over 40 years I think its all going to take time!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 8:38 pm

If you took measurements before your surgery have a look at them and compare them to measurements now. That will certainly show you the difference. My body shape seems to have stayed the same as well and I understand what you mean about still seeing the same in the mirror. I have lost 39.4kg and occasionally when I get dressed I catch a glimpse of the old me and think that I look terrible in what I am wearing. The photos side by side is a real eye opener, it was for me, and if nothing else can show you how far you have come and how proud you should be of yourself, this will. Be kind to yourself, it will take time. I was overweight for close on 20 years and you can't undo 20 years of poor self image in a few months. I am only just starting to like myself a teensy tiny bit now at 6 months post op.

Kate
Back to top Go down
Jodizzle
Jodizzle

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

Hi Kateh,

Pull out some photos, then have a look at them side by side ;) many moons ago, I thought I looked fat in photos (when I was 73kg), now at 104kg, I actually know what fat is :(

You can always see it in the photos..........

Jodie x
Back to top Go down
tinyteddy
Part of the furniture
tinyteddy

Female
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

Hi Kateh

When I met you the other day I thought you looked fantastic! and you are :) reading you story on here has given me so much inspiration.....

I only hope I can do as well as you - first day on opti..11 more days and counting

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? 217555

Karin
Back to top Go down
butterflyfallen
butterflyfallen

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

i struggle, ive gone from a size 24/26 to a size 18 and almost a 16 up top. I put it down to that fact my body shape is still exactly the same so i still see the shape, and cant see the smaller version of it. Sometimes i catch myself in the mirror and i can see i look smaller and healthier, but only in clothes and its pretty rare. I still see the same shape and all the fat thats left to go.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 7:23 am

I still look at myself as being the same size some days.

Granted this morning I put on an XL top my nan sent me for christmas to wear to work.. and yet I'd of been struggling to get into a 5xl a year ago.

Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 5:26 am

It takes ages for the head to catch up with the weight. Don't worry!

One day you'll see the real you.
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female

PostSubject: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 3:42 am

Ok that not quiet the title I was looking for but it sounded good.

Am I the only person out there battling to see a skinnier me in the mirror?

I have lost 26 kgs since the 6 of October! That's 130 days (thank you ticker!) and no mean feat. My dietician says I am way above average in the weight loss department, I have gone from a size 20/22 to a 14/16. My hubby, family & friends are over the moon how well I am doing. I am constantly getting compliments but when I look in the mirror I just see old fat me! It is really getting me down :(

This morning I did a spring clean of all my fat clothes I threw so many in the Op shop bin it was ridiculous. I even tried on my hubby's size 34 jeans (havnt fitted them since we were dating 15 years ago) & they fit, tight but fitted!! So what's wrong with me? Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?   Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fattest of them all.......?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: