AuthorMessage
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

Diabetes  and the Sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyMon 28 Nov 2011, 6:52 am

Hi all, just an update - I am just over 4 mths post op now. I have LADA diabetes (type 1.5) and was commenced on insulin 3 years ago. Since commencing insulin I found it impossible to lose weight despite having lap band. Had great success with lap band and no insulin prior to this. Anyways, I am now off all insulin, have been for 2 weeks and so far so good. Will need to keep monitoring my BSL's and will most likely need to resume insulin some time in the future as I have antibodies attacking my pancreas. However, losing weight and increasing physical activity may delay this requirement. My sleeve has made it possible for me to imagine weight loss and a more active lifestyle. Loving my sleeve, loving my future even more!
Back to top Go down
bubblybear
Part of the furniture
bubblybear

Female
Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

Hi everyone I have type 2 diabetes have had for 21 years now have been on insulin for 6 or 7 years now am going in for the sleeve on the 9th jan im on 46 units of lantus in the evening 40 in the morning then novorapid with meals 4 units per carb for those that were on insulin how did you go when on the opti with ur levels, insulin etc im worried how i will go with this if i will have hypos etc also post op how did you go in the first weeks without eating etc
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female
Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-04-18

PostSubject: diabetes and the sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

Not everybody has/had the BMIs you stated for their operations.

All surgeons and every patient is different.
Your history of weight loss or gain, your co morbidities etc, are all contributing factors. As I said before, talk to a trusted GP and discuss your options. If you do not want a sleeve, or do not think it is an option for you, then you are not obliged to take up your surgeons suggestion.

The on your next visit, to the surgeon ask more ? if you want more answers.
I'm sure your GP will help. Cheers Psychomum
Back to top Go down
whosalovelyboy

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 5:37 am

Thanks for that, please let me clarify... I have done some research and most information tells me that I have to either have a BMI over 40, or over 35 with health issues, to be able to have the gastric sleeve. Mine is 32. My endocinologist doesn't recommend it but the surgeon does. PS I need to lose about 17kg to be in the healthy weight range.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

If you have an endocrinologist for your diabetes they also may be able to help.
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female

PostSubject: Diabetes and you   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

Whosalovely boy,

1. I'm with Emily,I am not sure what you are confused about. It says on your details you have already had a sleeve? If not the surgeon is probably recommending a sleeve, which would help with your diabetes and probably reduce your reflux if it is due to overweight issues?

1. Even though your diabetes is well controlled, it is still not an ideal health issue to have the disease in the first place. With a BMI of 32, are you over weight? Maybe you need to discuss your issues further with your GP or surgeon. They know you better than we do at this stage. Hope this helps cheers psychomum
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 8:23 am

What are you confused about specifically?
Back to top Go down
whosalovelyboy

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyWed 07 Sep 2011, 7:40 am

I am 44 and I have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years. It is pretty well controlled through the use of byetta injections (non-insulin) and other daily medications. I had a gastroscopy the other day due to some bloating/reflux problems. I went back to the surgeon today and he suggested I get rid of all my problems, including the diabetes by having a gastric sleeve. My BMI is 32. I am confused. Please help.
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female

PostSubject: Kick the diabetes   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

Well done Care Diabetes  and the Sleeve 217555Bear... you must be going great guns and you are still only newly sleeved.

Lots more to go yet. I can see you will be coming off the insulin, if your pancreas is still ok. It's amazing what our bodies can do, with a little help. Keep up the good work......psychomum
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 01 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

Just a quick update, I have managed to reduce my insulin further. Now on 1/4 of the dose I was taking pre sleeve. My BSL's remain stable so *fingers crossed* more reductions to come, .need to just check if my pancreas is still making it's own / enough insulin.
Back to top Go down
psychomum
psychomum

Female

PostSubject: Better late   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyMon 15 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

Hi Gooster,
I just wanted to add my 2cents. I had diabetes 11 and was told by endochrinologist within 6 months I would be on insulin, meds three times a day was not holding me. I had the surgery instead. 4 months in my bloods are between 4- 41/2 every morning... no meds at all.

I had big tum skinny legs, always looked preggas, if only I could have delivered!..Typical diabetic shape all around the middle.
I've lost over 15 inches from bust to bum.. looking normal again, wearing jeans from just jeans! Best move I've made. They say you are in remission from the diabetes, but if you don't put on the weight again, you stay in remission :)

Give your mum a big hug and tell her, time's a wasting, she only has weight to lose. Insulin makes you hungry, the sleeve takes the hunger away..... cheers psychomum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyMon 15 Aug 2011, 2:36 am

Hi All,
Thanks for all the information... I have passed it on to my mum... She is now going to get a referral and head to the surgeon I saw...
So now we will be both sleeved.. I know that her getting this surgery done will save her life...

Thanks
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptySat 13 Aug 2011, 7:34 am

I had diabetes for about 4 years pre-surgery, and went from diet-uncontrolled to drug-uncontrolled to insulin controlled!

After the sleeve, I lost the insulin, then the pills, and finally now I have no indication of diabetes and haven't had for about 2 years. I have an HBA1C test every 3-6 months, and they've all been in the normal range!
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyFri 12 Aug 2011, 1:26 am

That is correct Barbie, in my case, although I may not need to use insulin, I will always be Diabetic. The difference for now is that my diabetes can be managed with far less insulin which has health benefits for me. I absolutely must continue with close monitoring and my insulin requirements may in fact change should I ever chose to fill my tiny tummy with foods containing sugar and high carbs rather than protein.
Back to top Go down
barbie
Part of the furniture
barbie

Female
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2011-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 11:52 pm

Hi Gooster,

I went to a diabetic education day, from Diabeties Australia, associated with work the other day and it was extremely informative. They said that surgery will diffently help reduce the diabeties, but in the long term, a person will still have it for the rest of their life, but not as bad. A person can never fully get rid of it, but are able to manage it a lot better. If your dr says that you you no longer have it, they still need to monitor it closely.

Hope that didn't scare you, I'm just telling you what I had learnt from it. I have 2 brothers who are now insulin dependant with Type 2 and my mother is diet controlled. I have no signs of it at the moment, touch wood.

Barbie
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

Hi Googster,

Can offer comment on my own experience with diabetes and the sleeve.
I have been type 2 diabetic for over 20 years, I commenced insulin 2 years ago and my diabetes has been very stable, foR some reason though I found it impossible to lose weight, finding myself eating carbs for fear of having hypo's etc. Anyways, With my endocrinologist's full support I had the sleeve gastrectomy 13/07/11.

I halved my dose of insulin the day of surgery (still taking diabex tablets). My BSL's remained very stable despite my limited dietary intake and stress levels around the surgery. I have had a fantastic recovery without any problems (touch wood). After review of my bloods yesterday the endocrinologist has further halved my insulin again. So I have gone from taking 40 units of Humalog mixture 25/70 twice a day to taking 10 units twice a day. - I.e a quarter of my previous dose.

The restriction on food portion sizes and focus (commitment ) to high protein diet means I have very little space to fit carbs in I.e bread, cakes, sweets, starchy vegs/potatoes with my meals. This reduction has significantly lowered my Insulin requirements. The endocrinologist has suggested I may even be able to cease my insulin in coming weeks/month - awaiting results of further tests to ensure my pancreas is still producing it's own insulin first though.

Of course everyone is different, I would suggest your mum talk to her endocrinologist or GP regarding potential to reduce insulin requirements with this surgery. There is mounting medical evidence that obesity surgery is an effective treatment tool for type 2 diabetics who are obese.

Happy to discuss my experience some more if this would be helpful.

Best wishes. Oh I forgot to mention, my weight is falling off after surgery I have lost 12kg already. I still have a long road ahead before reaching a healthy BMI.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve EmptyThu 11 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

Hi All,
Hope you are all well...
Just a quick question.. My mum has type 2 Diabetes she is on alot of medication for it..
She hasnt been able to control it with diet and has now had to go onto insulin...

Do you think that her getting the sleeve and limiting what she can eat will help her diabetes... She isnt very large but all her weight sits around her stomach... to look at her she looks about 9 months pregnant, but has skinny legs and face...

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diabetes and the Sleeve   Diabetes  and the Sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Diabetes and the Sleeve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Other Health Issues-
Jump to: