margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

meal replacement shakes.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyTue 06 Nov 2012, 9:11 pm

For me kicstart shakes were the best for me before my op,i lost 6.4 kilos in two weeks on them,my surgeon only allowed optifast and kicstart as it has to be vlcd,i was told i could use any kind after op.Like Lin said better flavours and easier to take the kicstart.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyTue 06 Nov 2012, 8:32 pm

http://www.healthyweightforlife.com.au/kicstart-about.php

i was able to use these. more flavours
Back to top Go down
Geelong Guy
Geelong Guy

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-10-22

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyTue 06 Nov 2012, 2:56 pm

Hi Comforteater and all that have commented.

Yes it is an interesting topic. I cant recall trying the optifast shakes. I haven't yet been instructed to start a pre-op regime of shakes yet. May ring them tomorrow to follow that up. my sleeve is in 5 weeks.

I too like the Kate Morgan shakes. Love the number of flavours available. But i have to say i like most of the powder shakes i have tried. They aren't everybodies cup of tea i know. But i think its getting use to the fact there is no milk and the slight powdery residue taste you get while drinking them.

I am going to get some optifast shakes tomorrow. lol. Am dying to find out if they taste as bad as everyone says. haha. Closest thing to a healthy milkshake. mmmmmm milkshakes.
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female
Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

thanks for all of your replies..

i guess i am more concerned with post op.. but hey we have an interesting debate happening here... it makes sense to wonder why one brand is pushed over others... i honestly didnt know.. maybe it is the best!! i just dont like it... and hoping that kate morgan is an ok tool to use in the long term :)
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

Gov research about Optifast VLCD vs others was in The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. From memory it was definitely sugar vs fructose and something else. I think Optifast is registered with Therapeutic Goods Administration https://www.ebs.tga.gov.au/ but can't find the reference now. I remember I did a LOT of research late last year as the first surgeon I selected didn't care about a ketogenic diet and I was debating whether it was a good idea to skip the preop diet altogether. I ended up with another surgeon who was adamant that only Optifast preop and I think Kate Morgan or Tony something? and was specifically warned off Optislim as one can lose weight, but not necessarily go into ketosis. If Optislim have updated their drinks, or got TGA approval or something, that's great - the advice was given to me six months ago.

Six months on, I can tell you, I probably stressed too much preop and about 3 months post op about fluids and protein and the right thing to do etc. but ultimately it's stood me in good stead and the research, though excessive, makes me feel like I understand WHY I had to do the things the surgeon asked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 8:35 am

Just thought id let you know that I used Optislim (VLCD) when I was pre op and lost 5 kgs in two weeks. It still tasted pretty bad so I hate to imagine how bad Optifast must taste!! Checked with my dietician who does all the WLS patients on the coast and she said that the two were interchangable.

Jay Jay
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 8:31 am

Sorry Oki just have to chime in here..

Optislim VLCD is a complete meal replacement shake...the LCD one is not...maybe thats what your dietician is talking about. Also the VLCD meets 100% of RDA requirements and the mineral and vitamin content is very similar to optifasts..including the sugar content...though its marginally higher...not enough to make much of difference in the overall scheme of things.

You will still be in ketosis using it. By its very nature a VLCD is ketogenic.

Not sure what you mean by Govt approved though...

Deb
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 8:15 am

RoadtripMama is right Optifast do a lot of testing and studies. Which is why Optifast is the only gov approved meal replacement in Australia. Shame it tastes just awful meal replacement shakes.. 314562
I was warned off Optislim as it's sugar content is high (not fructose) and lower vitamin and nutrition count (not a complete meal replacement) by my dietitian. I found it hard to go into ketosis and struggled with headaches until I did. But if your dietitian/surgeon doesn't mind the higher sugar/lower vitamins, go for it!
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

Hi

This has popped up elesewhere but thats OK.

Basically the reason optifast is recommended by most surgeons is that theyre owned by Nestle who have been able to afford to run large studies which have subsequently been 'published' in recognised medical journals. So they have medical 'street cred',and many surgeons favour this brand because of this..and this only.

I was fortunate enough to have a surgeon who was flexible enough to just want his patients on a VLCD...very low calorie diet shake and we could choose the ones that we liked best.

I was on optislim pre and some of my post op...mainly during the fluids phase but later to boost my protein intake when I couldnt be bothered making up my own protein shakes..or risked skipping meals. Was able to get something not quite so slimy and saved a few bucks too...also supported an Australian firm and not a multinational conglomerate which I kinda like too.

I dont think I can forgive Nestle for also making chocolate,and lots of processed foods, and they also own the 'Jenny Craig' brand too...so they seem to have all their money-making bases covered! LOL

There are many that fit the criteria of VLCD.

Run your chosen brand by your Dr. or Dietician (another thing my surgeon was flexible about).

Deb
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyFri 05 Aug 2011, 7:17 am

Pre-op you are not on a low cal diet but a ketogenic diet. Optifast is the Gov approved program and the one surgeons recommend. Mine didn't care if I lost weight during Opti stage, just that I went into Ketosis. Get the Keto diastix from the pharmacy if you want to try another meal replacement solution? That will tell you if you are processing the fatty liver stuff.

Post op, make sure it has all the vitamins and protein you need. Doesn't matter if it has sugar instead of sucrose and fructose etc then, as you are not to be in ketosis. Go for one that tastes nice, post op :)

PS you might want to think about the shakes as preparation for the sleeve and moving food emotionally from "pleasure, nice tasting, happy" to "fuel, necessary, right stuff"?
PPS I think you are post op, just ignore the rest of the post except 2nd paragraph. It's more for preop I guess. meal replacement shakes.. 314562

Last edited by Oki Doki Joy on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : went back and noticed sleeve date.)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm

Personally I haven't touched Optifast since the day before I was sleeved.

Post op I have used Optislim, Kate Morgan, Vitadiet, whatever.
I don't think is matters really!

I used Kate Morgan once a day for the first 3 months to help get my protein in.
I still use shakes now and again, they are handy to keep in the cupboard for when I am sick and can't eat.

I also use them if I have gained a little weight to help get me back on track and drop and couple of kgs quickly.

meal replacement shakes.. 217555 meal replacement shakes.. 217555
Back to top Go down
kazlikesgreen
Part of the furniture
kazlikesgreen

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

I have mine for breakfast most days especially if im working an AM shift....
Back to top Go down
http://karenjenniferful.blogspot.com
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 9:10 am

there supposed to be the best shake for shrinking the liver,thats what we are told.

some doctors require the shakes to be done prior, others dont.I personally dont see the difference if the protien and sugar etc are all the same in the different VLCD brands,but its best to do what the doc tells you or ask them first before varying anything

long term they are good if your short of time etc and boosts you protien and i do use frozen meals like WW sometimes,i always grab the ones higest in protien,

i still use a shake or bar here and there but not all the time-I like kickstart brand.
cheers

shelly

Last edited by shelly25 on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
comforteater
comforteater

Female
Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 7:07 am

hello,

i apologise if there's another thread about this i couldn't find it if there is..

i was wondering why is everyone put on optifast when there are numerous other meal replacement shakes/programs on the market? .. they all seem to have the same amount of protein etc...

why i'm asking is i really don't like the optifast shakes but i am really keen on the kate morgan ones... celebrity slim arn't bad either. are these not as good for some reason.. does anyone know?? i forgot to ask the dietician when i saw her!! i'm kicking myself..

also does it hurt to stay on them long term ... one every day or two to help maintain weight or just to have incase you are really busy? does anyone a long way down the track still use them regularly? they seem artificial thats all so surely it wouldn't be good to use them forever... but if it's with a well balanced diet as well maybe its ok.

i really wish i had remembered to ask her...

as always just over thinking things

... i really am enjoying the kate morgan shakes.

meal replacement shakes.. 618285
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meal replacement shakes..   meal replacement shakes.. Empty

Back to top Go down

meal replacement shakes..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: