Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???

Go down 
+5
Curvychick71
Suzie
Beckstar77
lililinks
nimue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dooben
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2012-09-22

hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptySat 30 Nov 2013, 1:15 am

I've just had my levels checked too (don't know results yet) as Doc said weightloss can decrease the amount of thyroxine you need. It makes sense huh. Interesting though.

debs
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 7:15 am

Hi all, just wanted to comment here -- I have hashimoto's and have been on 100mcg thyroxine 6 days a week, TSH level pre-op 1.67.
After 3 weeks optifast I lost about 10kg and felt myself buzzing, thinking it was all nerves. I am 4 weeks post op now, and have not had proper sleep, feeling wired but too tired to do anything useful and getting quite hungry. Had my bloods done and my TSH is now dropped to 0.14, well below the normal range. Weight loss of 20kg has really affected my dose and I need to decrease the thryoxine, starting at a reduction of only 50mcg per week. It will take about 6 weeks and another blood test to see how much this has helped, and will need to keep monitoring during weight loss. I didn't realize how significant the change was during weight loss. It would work the other way too. If you gain weight and don't adjust/increase your dose, then it's more likely you will gain even more weight. Really important to keep check on your thyroid levels.
Back to top Go down
L@Melb
L@Melb

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyTue 08 Oct 2013, 3:27 am

Yeah.  But they're TINY pills and once you figure out what works for you it makes life so much better.  There are so many worse diseases / conditions out there you know.  Thyroxine pretty much makes us with the condition "normal", whatever that is.

Dooben I'm glad for your niece that it got diagnosed so early - it gives her much better opportunities to be healthy, active and involved in life.
Back to top Go down
dooben
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyTue 08 Oct 2013, 1:15 am

I didn't realise that about hashis and reflux meds. Interesting. I should probably go and get my levels checked as I've been on reflux meds for a while. Yeah I don't think the hashis will stop with weightloss as its autoimmune. I agree with [email=L@melb]L@melb[/email] on this one. Still it would be nice. My 7 year old niece has just been diagnosed with it, poor bugger. And we are the only two in our entire extended family to have it (they reckon its genetic/hereditary) So pills for life for her too. Sigh.

debs
Back to top Go down
L@Melb
L@Melb

Female

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

I dissolve the tablets in my mouth pretty much before swallowing.  I like to think they'll be absorbed better/faster that way by a less efficient tum.

Sorry ladies - I'm pretty sure if it really IS Hashimoto's, with the autoimmune response I don't think the weight loss is really going to help much.  I'm sitting on 100kg+ loss now and still testing ok on my "original" dose of thyroxine.  The levels have changed a bit within the "normal" range but I guess there's less body mass to USE the stuff, if you know what I mean.

But 100kg - well over half my starting weight.  That's ok for a dodgy thyroid, so don't stress about it - just keep your levels good and get on with finding a life and the real you in there.
 hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? 217555
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyMon 07 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

I also have hashimoto's ... it would be good to hear from others how they are going after the sleeve... i did mention it to my surgeon who just gave me a broad vague answer.."well lots of people have underactive thryoid and get this done" .... I am also concerned about reflux from the op as thryoid meds don't work properly if you have reflux medication as well. Any one been able to manage all this? thanks.
Back to top Go down
dooben
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

I have hashimotos too so this is interesting...wow imagine if thyroid started to get better naturally. I know that as soon as i stop my thyroid meds my body goes mental making auto antibodies...grrrrr....i'm hoping meds and sleeve will be a good combo for getting the weight down.

debs
Back to top Go down
L@Melb
L@Melb

Female

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyThu 31 Jan 2013, 3:45 am

Hi.  I have lost over 45kg since my op in mid September 2012.  It's slowing down now but I truly don't mind - after all it IS heading in the right direction, and the sleeve was never meant to be just a short term solution for any of us.  There are so many factors affecting weight loss that it might be better not to think about it but to look for the little (or large) successes that we are all working for.

L.  
Starting weight 187.5kg, and at preop 177kg.  PCOS diagnosed 2000.  Hashimoto's Syndrome finally diagnosed after years of seeking help in 2005.

Last edited by L@Melb on Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Curvychick71
Curvychick71

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013, 5:50 am

Hi BeckyGellie,

Good to hear from someone. Yep my wieght loss has slowed down. I have found over the years before the sleeve that I always had to work twice as hard for half the weight loss and it looks like that is the same for the sleeve as well but this time I guess I am more determined. After I posted I looked at everyones ticker who had psted last year or the year before and they are all near there goal weight so proof is I guess is it does work eventually.
Back to top Go down
BeckyGellie
BeckyGellie

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013, 8:08 am

Hi

I also have Hashimotos and I am worried that it might effect the weight loss when I have my sleeve done. I have done some research on this I what I have found is that sleever's still loose weight however it may be slightly slower than others. I also read that in some cases the thyroid somewhat fixed itself as the weight went down. Now that you be wonderful.

Back to top Go down
Curvychick71
Curvychick71

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyMon 28 Jan 2013, 4:33 am

No one has posted on here for over 12 months??? Wow. How did everyone go with weightloss goals?

I have Hashimotos and found the first three months great and then slowed right down. Still losing but only minimal amounts now. Have tried changing diet and exercise but nothing working so far. Will keep trying though.

Just makes me so frustrated with this condition. Feedback would be great.

Suzie
Back to top Go down
Suzie

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-11-08

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptySun 03 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm

Hi All,

I have no thyroid at all and was really nervous about what weight loss I would be able to achieve. I am now 7 months post op and have lost 19kgs. I still have 10 to go. I am a little disappointed with my loss but at least I am now able to lose weight which is something I was unable to do before the op. All my weight related health problems have disappeared - which is huge. I look and feel so much better and we keep plodding along with my weight as slow as it is - at least it is going down!!!
Good luck with your weight loss.
Suzie
Back to top Go down
Beckstar77
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 7:37 am

I have hashimotos and was taking 200mg thyroxine daily. I was sleeved 3 months ago and have had great weight loss thus far. I've even had to reduce the amount of meds I'm taking by 50mg, now taking 150mg. So, my thyroid has gotten a bit better!
This has been the only way I've been able to lose weight since being diagnosed 5 years ago.
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 4:12 am

Hi Lillilinks, I did a search on "thyroid" - topic, and there was one old post there it was helpful. Terri
Back to top Go down
lililinks
lililinks

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 4:09 am

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this too as I have Hashimotos and am a bit worried about the effects...
Back to top Go down
http://www.leebirdphotography.com.au
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? EmptyFri 01 Jul 2011, 3:50 am

Hi Folks, can anyone tell me if they have had thyroid conditions and how they went with their weight loss after the op, my sister has recently had the op and is struggling a bit, I am wondering if it is because of her thyroid??? help!!! Terri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???   hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss??? Empty

Back to top Go down

hasimotos and after sleeve weight loss???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Other Health Issues-
Jump to: