Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?

Go down 
+2
Huggy Bear
abbott
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptySat 25 Jun 2011, 7:43 am

The decision was an easy one for me. I'd battled so long with the band that I put all my weight, and some, back on. I just didn't have anywhere else to go but the sleeve. Or death.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptySat 25 Jun 2011, 5:21 am

Hi again
Congrats to you kiwichick - you will love your sleeve.

Abbott - I always felt the port, and was always self conscious about it, and really worried about it during any abdo moves - and eventually I had it replaced, as it was giving me hell anyway and flipped over inside me - no wonder they couldn't fill it properly!!

But now, and really after about the first 4 months post sleeve surgery - I have been able to do any exercise - and it's such a freedom.
I go to gym, pretty erratically I admit, but there is not one piece of equipment I haven't used, including barbell and weights, and have had no problems - except the usual muscle soreness from years of neglect!!

You will notice the difference!
Loz
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptySat 25 Jun 2011, 1:32 am

Well I am now officially a sleever so I feel qualified to answer

My band eroded and I had a massive abdominal infection - so I had NO choice about it coming out but I was then offered free sleeve and I didn't even hesitate, no decision really, couldn't not do it
Back to top Go down
abbott

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptySat 25 Jun 2011, 12:19 am

Thanks Ozzieloz.
You mentioned can exercise again. Did the band interfere with that? I found sit ups are extremely difficult (and sometimes bending from the waist) as I feel like I have a knot in my abs that once I manage to straighten myself up I need to massage the area quite forcefully to 'undo' it.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyFri 24 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

Hi Abbott
I had my band for 10 years - and it was only when I finally decided to remove the thing as it was really causing me more grief than achieving any weight loss, that my surgeon mentioned that the sleeve might suit me. Once I asked him about it, he offered to remove the band but wait 3 months before having the sleeve, and told me to read up about it and come back to him with questions to determine if I was really ready for it.

Well, I can only say thank goodness - he charged me $4400 out of pocket to do the task, but I am sooooo grateful and totally absolve him of waiting so long to tell me about it. He said he really wanted to make sure I was ready to put the effort into life with the sleeve - because now I am 9 months out from surgery, I have lost 20 kgs but still have 25 to go and have to work at my eating habits and exercise now, HOWEVER, it is all so much more do-able now because of the way I feel and the weight I have lost so far.

And I can eat anything, and never vomit, and can do exercise, and wear normal clothes again.

I love my sleeve.
Best wishes with you journey - you will really see and feel the difference!
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
kerri28

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Hi all how much can you all eat with the sleeve and do you still have to chew chew and not drink with meals and still follow the rules that the band has thanks kerri   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyMon 20 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

Huggy Bear wrote:
My surgeon removed my band and did the sleeve for free. I am in top private hospital and was in for about 3 nights.

The pain wasn't too bad at all but the anesthetic really knocked me about for a couple of weeks, just so tired and the lack of solid food made it worse.

I really bounced back pretty quick though, it feels like a lifetime ago now!
How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? 697586 How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? 697586
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

My surgeon removed my band and did the sleeve for free. I am in top private hospital and was in for about 3 nights.

The pain wasn't too bad at all but the anesthetic really knocked me about for a couple of weeks, just so tired and the lack of solid food made it worse.

I really bounced back pretty quick though, it feels like a lifetime ago now!
Back to top Go down
abbott

Female

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 9:17 am

Thanks for responding. Can I ask what sort of cost was involved, and what was the down time? I have good private hospital cover but as a casual employee any time I take off work isn't paid.
Has anyone from Adelaide had the band removed then the sleeve fitted?
This is a great site, I haven't spoken to anyone who chose a surgical option since I had my band, I don't know if there are any support groups either.
Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyWed 15 Jun 2011, 1:43 am

Hi there,

I had a band for six months and it was pretty hellish - my body just did not like the band and I struggle so much in those six months - I'm no sook either - it was really bad.

My doctor was super concerned about the band giving me so much trouble. After tiny fills I would be back at his office the next day, throwing up salivia in a towel on my lap, desperate to have the fill taken out once again. After this happening at least 5 times in six months the doctor was determined to repair the band and have it operate properly.

At this stage I just wanted it out - I had nearly accepted I was just going to be fat, because a sleeve seemed still like such a permanent and scary step to me.

Anyway, the doctor could see absolutely nothing wrong with the band in the surgery so he decided to remove it, he said to me afterwards 'it just doesn't suit some people, I can see no reason why it is giving you so much trouble'. He said he would sleeve me 3 months later if I chose that path.

Thank goodness that I did choose that path.

That was a year ago and I am only 3kg away from my goal weight. I can eat absolutely anything without a moment's trouble. I love my life so much and I love my sleeve so much. It has been my golden ticket and I am thankful for it, every single day.

I am sure you will find the sleeve a total dream compared to your lapband. Keep us informed and if you have any other questions just PM me!

xxxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
abbott

Female

PostSubject: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? EmptyTue 14 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? 697586 Hi. I had my banding done about 8 years ago. I was working out at the gym and being very careful with what I ate before the procedure, but never got below 97 kg. I had the band at 106 (I admit I pretty much took it easy before the op and let it all go). After the op I went back to the workouts and careful eating but still didn't get below 97 after the first 6 months. After the surgeon told me I wasn't doing what I said I was or I'd have lost a lot more weight I couldn't face going back. In hindsight I think as it was the early days of taking thyroid medication it just hadn't really kicked in yet, as I've achieved more much more easily since. Over time I started living on Feel Good iced coffee and chocolate as it was about all I could keep down. I remember after one episode with a piece of steak I couldn't even keep water down until the next day and raw vegies were tricky too.
My band stopped functioning about 5 years ago, so I kept plodding along with the yo yo dieting (I actually got to 78 kg at one stage, but I think I had my thyroid meds a bit high as I also had some other weird things going on).
I'm back up to 97 kg, and with my GP harassing me to lose weight, I thought I'd look at getting the band back into action and hopefully use more commonsense with my diet.
After convincing my Dr it no longer functions, it has been determined the tube has sprung a leak. I've got surgery booked for next month to repair it - apparently a minor procedure. After reading the posts on this site I'm starting to think maybe I should be having it removed instead and looking at a sleeve. What does this involve? Is my Dr going to try to talk me out of it (he does both). I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the decision to do this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?   How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision? Empty

Back to top Go down

How did those of you who went from banding to sleeve make the decision?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: