Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???

Go down 
+3
Xantia
untamed_angel277
Bella ..... xo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 19 Mar 2009, 5:37 am

oh thats great news !!

Im so pleased for you Wombat .......
looks like you are all set
i can imagine the relief !

*big hugs*
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 19 Mar 2009, 3:41 am

Thanks Bella for all that information! I have contacted hubby's super and it looks like I can skip the APRA bit, as he has Unrestricted non-preserved funds that we can access and it only takes 10 days! Woo-Hoo! I am faxing the application today, so hopefully will have an answer by next Friday.
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: copy of a reply to PM from Wombat.....hope this helps others too !   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 18 Mar 2009, 9:54 am

The below is a copy of my reply to Wombat asking for some tips and hints ... hope this helps others too

I had my initial consult with my surgeon 9th February and my op a month later on the 11th March (so post op 7 days now...yay!)....and got the APRA approval and super funds into my account within that time......and it only took a bit of organising and a few phone calls

Please ring APRA tomorrow and ask them if they approve early release of funds for an operation thats already been done and paid for !!! .....(cos they are approving your application based on you NOT being able to afford to pay for it - so they told me)....

Also ring the super fund concerned and make sure they will release the funds with APRA's approval.....as if there are no circumstances under which they will release funds early - then there is nothing APRA can do...........but if they will, ask your super fund what forms are required for you to submit to them after you get your letter of approval from APRA.......and ask that they be posted out today - so you have everything you need in place already once you get the APRA approval letter......also ask for a statement or quote of benefits amount and can they post this out too..........or better still can they fax them to you.

If APRA dont pay out on already paid for operations, here's what you need to do :-

It would be prudent to ring your surgeon before your appointment and let them know you are applying through APRA .... as not all surgeons clinics etc have experience with this process and that can hold things up.......so let them know ahead of time and advise them you will need this specifically worded letter plus these quotes........you may be able to collect these all on the day of your appointment if you can start organising them now...... i only had to wait for the Anaesthetists quote to come in the mail....maybe you could offer to go pick up any quotes if thats appropriate...save waiting on 2 days in the mail system......

You need to apply to APRA on Specified Compassionate Grounds For Release..............NOT Financial Hardship grounds

You will need to submit to APRA - along with their completed form:-

1. Quotes from Surgeon, Anaesthetist and Assisting Surgeon mainly - but any other quotes too if you can get them

2. A letter from a GP and from the operating surgeon.... both stating that you have a life threatening condition (obesity), and that this operation is not available through the Public Health System.......both letters need to be on official letterhead and have the individuals' qualifications listed.

3. Plus a letter from your surgeon requesting consideration for your application to be escalated...... as its imperative the operation be completed on the nominated date and any delay in surgery would be detrimental to your health....the wording needs to be specific.

4. Quote from super fund

5. Any other supporting evidence...... (i just had the above)

The APRA forms can be downloaded and printed off from their website.....and im pretty sure (just cant check at present cos the internet connection has slowed right down).....that the Information Brochure for early release of super funds (this brochure is really helpful) has a page where the specific wording of the 2 letters is written out for you................ i have it somewhere & can fax it to you if you find you need it........but if you find it - print it off and fax it or take it into your GP & surgeons' so their staff can see the specific wording that APRA require and the other requirements in the letter (qualifications etc)......and they can just copy it when writing their letter for you.

The staff at APRA are pretty helpful and will tell you what you need if you ask...... i did find that it made a bit of a difference but not much as to who you spoke to .....not so much getting mixed information from different people..... i always got consistent information from people.............just some would be more helpful by telling you more information and someone else would be less forthcoming.

You can fax your completed application to APRA .... you dont need to post it......(just put your initials on all documentation in the top RH cnr) .... then ring a few hours later to make sure they received it......you will be given a Reference Number at some stage and they may be able to allocate one at this time or you may have to ring back later.

EVEN if you dont have all the information you need ... get your APRA application in as soon as you can.... as it will get your application into the queue !...... then you have 20 days to send in addition documentation if needed before your application jumps out of the queue again........then you go back to the start.

If you need to submit documentation further to your inital application submission...... be sure to put your initials in the top RH cnr and quote your Reference Number somewhere clearly at the top of the page.........if faxing things through....always ring a few hours later to make sure they received it.........

Bearing in mind any time differences from where you are calling ....

When i submitted my application initially i was told it was going to take a minimum of 28 days for the application to be assessed.....then there would be the wait for APRA to send me the approval letter, and then I would have to send the APRA approval letter off to my Super Fund and wait for them to process it and put the funds in my account. My surgeon's office (its usually the receptionist etc that does all this organising & not the surgeon himself)... was happy to write the 2nd letter requesting consideration for escalation of my application ......so my application then only took a week after that letter was submitted and my Super Fund processes APRA approval letters as a first priority so i had my funds in about 14 working days !

Sorry if i've rambled on too long......or said anything confusing..... PM me if you need something clarified !

**big hugs and hope i've helped somewhat **

[b][u]
Back to top Go down
wombat
wombat

Female
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 18 Mar 2009, 12:51 am

Liquefied_stars wrote:
Good luck, I paid for the whole lot using my husbands super. :)

Just make sure your doctor words his letter correctly. I had to get it changed and ended up having to go to another doctor to get it worded correctly.

Cinni I am just about to start this process, can you share the wording that your doctor needed to include in the letter, my GP is pretty good and would probably copy a good letter word for word if I gave it to him:)
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyTue 03 Mar 2009, 5:25 pm

Hi all,

Ive just paid earlier today for all most of my surgery out of pocket costs.....
funded by my approved application for early release of super funds

If anyone needs some tips or hints with this.....please PM me

~hugs~
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyTue 04 Nov 2008, 4:08 am

Good luck, I paid for the whole lot using my husbands super. :)

Just make sure your doctor words his letter correctly. I had to get it changed and ended up having to go to another doctor to get it worded correctly.

Amazing how everyones gap is differnet.

Cinni
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 7:50 am

Thanks Ange for your kind words

Your birds are truly gorgeous.

Smiles,
Bella
Back to top Go down
untamed_angel277
untamed_angel277

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 6:57 am

Hey Bella.. thats great you were helped.. the birds in the photo are sun conures i also hand rear cockatiels... Best of luck when you go to your appointment..

Ange
Back to top Go down
http://untamedangel277.spaces.live.com/
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 4:08 am

Oh gosh - thanks so much everyone !

You are all truly wonderful for sharing your experiences and information and as i become informed i hope to have something helpful to share too !

Chris, i had noticed on the other thread (the APRA News Tomorrow) that there seemd to be a price difference between the Eastern and Western coasts - so i am glad you were able to confirm my thoughts. Also, many many thanks for clarifying the process for me......so glad i wasnt the only person to not know what APRA stood for too - lol. I wonder how much weight the other questions on the form eg. relating to income/assets/expenses have in the application being approved or whether its primarily reliant on the two letters being worded correctly ?

Hey Rice Cake (cool name too - i read how you came about your name and I came about mine in a similar way)....I could come & visit ! lol.....it seems its almost worth catching a plane to W.A to get cheaper surgery ! cos - Yikes it is so much more expensive over here - although up my end of QLD there are only two clinics that i know of that perform this type of surgery and they quoted the same price. So glad you got your head around the "this is cheating" self talk ..... i have such a limited understanding of whats in store after surgery but i am confident its not cheating !............ although part of my self talk is hoping that the weight is going to fall off without much effort on my part ....(kidding myself i know !)

Thanks also Untamed Angel...... looooove your birds ! We have 3 cockatiels - what kind of birds are they in your photo ?

I gues i will know more about the cost when i actually go to my appointment on the 12th Nov and get a written quote..... but in the meantime I can look more into the APRA form and my super details etc. Will let you know after that in case the info helps some other North Queenslanders or East Coasters.

Keep well & stay smiling............... & thanks for being here and being so wonderful Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? 120705

Bella
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyThu 30 Oct 2008, 1:55 am

Wow, I didn't know it was more expensive over east than in WA. One of my EARLIEST considerations was actually to have this surgery done in the eastern states so no one would know. That was before I got over the whole "I don't want people to think I am cheating by doing this" way of thinking.

Best of luck with getting your super funds realised. You may as well go for it, it's not like super is making any money at the moment so I say spend it before it dribbles away :lol:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 6:11 pm

Hi Cositsgoodfun
Getting a few mixed messages here, but that's pretty normal.
Costs do vary from doctor to doctor, but the people in Perth seem to pay much less than we do on the east coast, for some reason. I don't know why that is, but it happens.
I have top private health insurance too, and was approximately $7,500 out of pocket, but used my super funds to pay for that.
The process is this - go online to APRA (can't remember what it stands for, but you can google it) and find the form to apply for early release of super. Read it carefully, especially where it tells you what is needed on the forms. Then get a letter each from your surgeon and your GP, ensuring that they put the correct wording in their letters. A friend has had hers rejected due to poor wording from her docs, but mine was approved - though I did have to go and get the GP letter redone, as she didn't put everything in that she needed to.
The other thread mentinoed might give you more information.
On timing, mine was also approved in about 3 weeks, but after the approval you then have to send the letter to your super fund for them to send you the money, and that can take a few days, or for some people even longer. Sometimes APRA takes longer than 3 weeks, too, so apply well ahead of time.
And where it asks how much you want to apply for, I'd suggest writing the amount you need and then state "after tax".
Good luck with your application.
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 1:35 pm

Have you considered ringing around and getting a few different doctors quotes because to me, $6000 out of pocket seems a HUGE amount. Most people have the $1500 -> $2000 out of pocket, some have less or none.

I'd be keeping the appointment you have but in the mean time ring around to other surgeons and see if you can find something cheaper...or double check what you have been quoted as I really think with private health you should not be that much out of pocket!
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 5:00 am

ooooh....thanks Xan & Lynette !

My partner will be so pleased if we can do this........he is quite happy to pay the gap if needed and is being very supportive - but as he is paying for it i would rather do my bit by finding out how to decrease costs.

Hugs

Bella
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 4:18 am

Hi Bella

I used my super to pay for the whole thing which was about $14,000 (surgeon, anesthestist, hospital), and I have also paid for pre-op, dietition and psychologist appointments as I go myself. You need to apply through APRA. There is a thread which can be found in the General Chat section under APRA News Tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Xantia
Xantia

Female
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 4:09 am

Hi Bella

Yes it is absolutly possible to release super funs if your gp and surgeon write the correct letter and u or ur partner have enough super. i did it and the whole process toook about 3 weeks and i had the money in our account. Like u i have health cover and was only looking at getting the gap payment which was about 7,000. be aware though that the super fund takes out 20% tax as well and that u need to declare it as income if you recieve family tax benefit.

Best of luck
Xan
Back to top Go down
http://xantias-jouney.piczo.com
untamed_angel277
untamed_angel277

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 4:06 am

HI Bella... Im not sure where to look but after reading what you wrote are you sure its going to cost that much since you have private health... i know the dr that a few of us go through here the whole operation was around $20,000 including hospital medication ect if you were not private insured, but as i was and so are you it came up out of pocket $2000 in total... im with hbf and top tables plus i used my gap saver to bring it down even more if i didnt i would have been around $4000 out of pocket... My brother who had the same operation a year ago was through medicare private and was the same amount as me... also when they quoted you the were probably quoting the hospital rooms meds xrays theatere ect but i dont know how much different it is over there but just fnd out it may ease your pocket a lil
Back to top Go down
http://untamedangel277.spaces.live.com/
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female

PostSubject: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? EmptyWed 29 Oct 2008, 3:42 am

Hi
Apologies ahead...... I only joined last night and still finding my way around this fabulous site.

I came across a thread earlier where some members mentioned they had used either their own or their partners superannuation to pay for part of their WLS cost....... and now i cannot find it. I tried the search option a few times but maybe I am not using the right search words.

The conversations i had been reading mentioned that there were a few hoops to go through and that your doctor needed to write the correct thing on letters etc.

Does anyone know how to go about using superannuation to subsidise the cost of WLS ?

I am privately insured with top hospital and extras and i have my initial consult in a fortnights time. I have been quoted over the phone that i will be out of pocket by about $6-7K after medicare and private health insurance rebates.....but it would be great to reduce this out of pocket cost if possible.

Thanks so much,
Bella
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???   Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Using Super to pay part of WLS costs ???
Page 1 of 1