AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Leaks being sleeved after a band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 3:16 pm

This is exactly why they would not let me go from band to sleeve in the one go. They said there was too much danger in regards to leaks.
To tell the truth though, I would have rather gone from band to sleeve in one go than do what I did, which was to wait 4 months before the sleeve, I packed on all of my weight plus interest...
Hayley
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 1:52 pm

If that is the case it is hardly any real time risk at all, well not one that would scare me. But a straight up 30% chance of a leak would scare the stuffin out of me. I will certainly get her to check that with the surgeon concerned :)

thank you

applesauce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm

My understanding is that a 30% risk of leak means 30% on top of the current percentage leak for non band conversions.

So, lets assume for a gastric sleeve the rate of leak is 1%. This means 1 person in 100 will have a leak.

If you have a 30% increased risk, then your risk goes to 1% + (30% of 1%) = 1% + 0.3% = 1.3% chance of leak not an ACTUAL 30%, i.e 30 in 100

That is how we calculate risk % on repeat/revision surgeries.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 12:55 pm

no I am not mentioned a 30% leak rate before, or I must be having a total brain melt down *LOL* I thought we would be hearing every where with such a high figure. There should be leaks every where yet I am one person who has never heard of a leak after a band.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 9:19 am

Hi Apple
That's certainly interesting, and no, I haven't heard anything like it before. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I am on 2 groups that have bandsters, and have been for most of this year.
You've mentioned this before, so I thought I'd remind you that the person in question may have misinterpreted what the doc said, or perhaps misunderstood it?
Just a thought.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band EmptySun 26 Oct 2008, 8:22 am

A bandit I know consulted one of the surgeons many here see about having a sleeve done and was quoted that going from a band to a sleeve even with NO problems from her band and waiting after the removal of her band to have her sleeve done she still ran a 30% risk of having a leak comapired to somebody just having a sleeve done who had not had a band before. Plus a very high risk of having to convert to an open procedure. Now this surgeon is not a boho anit sleeve guy. Has anybody ever had this figure quoted to them ? I was shocked, no more like horrified to hear this, any body else hear this kind of figure or risk involved ?
I am yet to hear of a single leak on somebody going from a band to a sleeve I have heard of ONE complication that resulted in a bi-pass later where somebody had a band rejection and it caused problems hence I do warn anybody who has band erosion or rejection type problems to remove the band and let their stomach heal first rather than trying to talk their surgeon into doing it as a all in one procedure. but that is it. I have not heard of these high numbers with leaks any where.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaks being sleeved after a band   Leaks being sleeved after a band Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaks being sleeved after a band
Page 1 of 1