AuthorMessage
Shazbotzski
Part of the furniture
Shazbotzski

Female
Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? Empty
PostSubject: Self Funded - but should I get PHI too?   Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? EmptySat 12 Mar 2011, 10:41 am

Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, or if it has been answered elsewhere, I have looked.

I had my initial visit with the Bariatric Nurse last Thursday, and will hopefully get to see Doctor Harrison in 4 months.

I intend to use our Super for the op, but the Nurse did mention something that has me a little concerned.

Tracey said if they get in there and you have a hernia, or something goes wrong after and you need to stay in hospital longer, that you could me up for more money. I didn't think to ask at the time, but should I join a Fund for Hospital cover after that for say 3 months? I am thinking that the complication would not be from a pre exisiting condition (that is, the op is new), so there would be no waiting time?

Or could you ask to be transferred to the Public hospiatl after the initial 3 days if you had to have extra time in there? or discahrge yourself and then go to the ER and be admitted that way? I really do want to make sure I have all bases covered, and I just don't know. I really cannot afford any unexpected " extras".

Thanks, and I hope that all makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Self Funded - but should I get PHI too?   Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? EmptySat 12 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

This one is a biggy, and only you can decided.
Hopefully some of the self funded sleevers will beble to help you here. Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? 217555 Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? 217555

Bad news is I think you still would have a 12 month wait with the PHI.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Self Funded - but should I get PHI too?   Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? EmptySun 13 Mar 2011, 9:18 pm

Hello Shazbotzski,

I had the same delima. I did explore the option of using my super to pay for the whole lot, I found that even though I had enough super for the op, I then had to factor the tax and apria (the company you aply to get the super from) said they will only let you take upto 80% I would only just scrape in.

I joined a fund while I was tossing up what to do, so if I did go that way that time was already ticking.

So if you factor in that you won't see Dr for 4 months so you will be looking at July, generally he would not do the op for another month after that. You would have to have your super organised before you see him as it takes about a month for apria to get organised (even though they tell 10 days).

The PHI will make you wait 12 months for prexisting conditions and after you join the standard unless you get some kind of deal is 2 months after you join to be covered for hospital. If you wait for PHI Dr Harrisons nurses will have you booked in for the day after the 12 months is up. Really you would only be waiting an extra 7 months for PHI, that is the way I look at it.

It is up to you. You have to make the choice that you can live with.
I decided to wait, last year went really quick. Once I got my surgery date earlier this year I have been counting down the weeks. I get excited when I think about it, then a little down as I want it now. I do know my time will come.
I am going to make one last attempt to lose some weight so I can get as fit as I possibly can for the op. At least I know the weight will be gone forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self Funded - but should I get PHI too?   Self Funded - but should I get PHI too? Empty

Back to top Go down

Self Funded - but should I get PHI too?
Page 1 of 1