7 posters
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
globug1223

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-01-18

Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits Empty
PostSubject: What a great bunch of people! Thank you all for the support, I am so happy I found you. At first I felt ashamed and like a lost cause. Its nice to talk to people who know exactly what I am going through. Thank you, Gloria   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 2:08 pm

cartay wrote:
Absolutely spot on Zoe ... you've answered everything beautifully!!

Just as a side note: Plateauing at the 6 month (or thereabouts) point is not uncommon in itself. At a meeting with my dieitican this morning, she explained that this is totally to be expected, and that weight loss from here on in should be expected to slow to around the 0.25-0.5kg a week mark (not sure what this is in your measurements?). Having said that, it is vitally important to remain being vigilant with good food choices and activity where possible.

Zoe's idea of having chicken/turkey handy in the fridge is one I am a convert of. If there's a choice between having to go through the dramas of cooking up a chicken breast or grabbing a handful and devouring heaps of choccie when I feel like a snack I'll go the chocolate every time!! If the chicken breast is already cooked and staring at me when I open the fridge it's harder to say no. And I can eat far less chook that chocolate, that's for sure!!

I hope you find the answers to your concerns. The first part of any problem is admitting to it, so good on you for being brave and honest and putting it out there.

Carah
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 11:49 am

Absolutely spot on Zoe ... you've answered everything beautifully!!

Just as a side note: Plateauing at the 6 month (or thereabouts) point is not uncommon in itself. At a meeting with my dieitican this morning, she explained that this is totally to be expected, and that weight loss from here on in should be expected to slow to around the 0.25-0.5kg a week mark (not sure what this is in your measurements?). Having said that, it is vitally important to remain being vigilant with good food choices and activity where possible.

Zoe's idea of having chicken/turkey handy in the fridge is one I am a convert of. If there's a choice between having to go through the dramas of cooking up a chicken breast or grabbing a handful and devouring heaps of choccie when I feel like a snack I'll go the chocolate every time!! If the chicken breast is already cooked and staring at me when I open the fridge it's harder to say no. And I can eat far less chook that chocolate, that's for sure!!

I hope you find the answers to your concerns. The first part of any problem is admitting to it, so good on you for being brave and honest and putting it out there.

Carah
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture
pippa

Female
Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 9:37 am

Zoe - your reply is so good, we should put it somewhere easy to find! I've seen quite a few posts where people have reverted to their old style of eating.
Diamonds, you are so right, so often we don't think of the mental aspect of our op.
My twopennoth - have you thought about keeping a journal? Make it a really pretty one and write down how you feel before you go to the big M, what you ate and how you felt afterwards. Record your day too and make sure you record all the good things that happen - a pretty flower, blue sky, cute puppy, anything that makes you smile. With luck you'll be writing more happy things and less big M things.
Good luck globug - only you know which aspect of the advice will help but I think one of the best things you've done is to contact this forum, this place is so supportive and if we can't help you then we'll hold your hand while you work it out for yourself.
XOX
Pippa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 5:13 am

Here are some ideas:

I think the Weight Watchers plan that used to be known as Core would work for you. Given a restricted menu, you do not do much counting. The camaraderie of a good group and a good leader is nice, not having to go it alone. I did WW and lost 40 lbs, but then moved and never found as good a group again, and slid back up to my peak weight.

The food at McDonalds is filled with triggers of salt and fat. It is easy to eat because it feels good to the mouth and throat and has nothing to do with physical hunger. I find when I go there that I keep eating the fries until my stomach hurts, which I do not do when I am at home. Easier to say than do, but stay away! You would not drive into a dicey part of town if you could help it - look upon all Micky D's as high crime areas.

Another idea is to eat solid protein, particularly cold chicken and turkey, as a breakfast item and have a bag of it to eat when the urge to hit the arches erupts. Dense protein is pretty hard to eat around when it is sitting in your stomach. Look for deli meat with low fat, like Jennie O's. Or, you can roast a turkey breast and use that.

Cinnamon melts do not provide bulk, which is why you can eat the whole bag. Put dense protein in your stomach instead. Refried beans with cheese melted on them is tasty and filling, provides some protein, some carbs and has dietary fiber.

Of course, there are always diet popsicles and diet jello for the sweet tooth.

Hope some of this helps.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 5:13 am

OMG, I don't know what a cinnamon melt is.....but it sounds awesome Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits 557634
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 5:09 am

I agree, seek a therapist for eating disorders. Might be worth looking into local Overeaters Anonymous meetings too for some group support. You are in the golden time for weight loss after the sleeve... but only you can use it or abuse it, and that's a conscious choice you have to make.
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 10:57 pm

It's possible you have a strong physical carb/calore addiction - if you eat cinnamon melts you just want more. I have something similar. Including vile mood swings. If it is, there's nothing for it but to go cold turkey. When I havent had cake or chocolate for a long time, I couldnt care less about it, but one little taste and Im stealing lollies (candy) from babies. And screaming at them to give me more.

But I would still get professional advice. We cant beat everything on our own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
globug1223

Female

PostSubject: I GET A CINNAMON MELT. ICAN EAT ALL BUT A FEW PIECES   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 10:11 pm

*Lib* wrote:
I agree with the others. I really think you need to see someone. How much can you eat when you go to McDonalds? I'd be wondering if your sleeve is not too big? But you obviously have issues to be eating that everyday. If I go to maccas I can eat 2 and a bit nuggets.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 9:35 pm

I agree with the others. I really think you need to see someone. How much can you eat when you go to McDonalds? I'd be wondering if your sleeve is not too big? But you obviously have issues to be eating that everyday. If I go to maccas I can eat 2 and a bit nuggets.
Back to top Go down
globug1223

Female

PostSubject: Thank you, I appreciate your opinion and I will take your advice.   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 8:26 pm

Diamonds wrote:
You need cognitive therapy! Just like someone experiencing bulimia, you have an 'eating disorder' characterised by the constant need to be eating & loss of impulse control to avoid such foods as mcdonalds.... Which, is 'generally' psychologically generated!

Of course I am not a DR, this is purely based on what I know, have read & from uni. so my advice is to start with your GP & go from there.

I'd desperately plead that you explore WHY your doing what your doing before you explore the next surgical step
(bypass)....

Dx

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
globug1223

Female

PostSubject: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
My name is Gloria, I am from Metairie, La. I had my sleeve done 6 mos ago. I lost 50lbs. I have have not gained or lost any thing since November. I am ashamed to say I am out of control again. I go to McDonalds for breakfast and fast foods for lunch and every time there is a little room in my stomach I eat. I spent $14,000 for this surgery and I want to be healthier, but the urge to constantly eat is greater. Am I nuts? PLEASE, if you have any advice for me, let me have it!! Don't sugar coat it! Tell me what you really think!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits   Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits Empty

Back to top Go down

Help!!! I have fallen back into my old BAD habits
Page 1 of 1