Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lgm32

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Thinking of sleeve instead of band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 2:09 pm

Hi Ricecake I am new to this forum as well

I got sleeved in January, whilst I do not have epilepsy I do suffer from severe Migraines bought on by Photophobia and I take tablets used to treat epilepsy twice a day as the photophobia is triggered from the same part of the brain as epilepsy. Whilst in hospital they had me taking liquid epilim, by day three I asked if I could try my tablets and was able to take them. I elected to have the sleeve for a few different reasons one of them was the migraine issue.

As the tablets are encenteric ? coated they cannot be crushed up so you have to get used to taking them before you leave the hospital, but then again you have to be used to taking the other tablets for pain etc as well.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 8:19 am

Hi Ricecake and welcome to the forum,

I think your names great by the way.

I was one of those who had the hiatus hernia surgery done at the same time as the sleeve and I am now 13 weeks post op. I did have a few problems with blockages and had to have a stretch done a little over a week ago and things seem to be improving now.

Good luck and do you have date for the surgry yet?

steph
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 1:45 am

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how I am going to mentally survive 5 days in hospital twice over! I am the worst patient, although I do like the call bell!

I am home from my endoscope, I had to stay overnight as I said. I was out of the hospital by 745am..I didn't even wait for breaky. I did that last time I was admited for surgery as well. I was nagging the nurse all evening shift "can I go home, can I go home" even though I knew the answer was no...still it was worth a try.

I found my own vien for the anethetist, I don't think he appreciated me saying I cannulate patients on the wards and so started pointing out viens. I need to lose the nurse attitude quick smart. Must not upset anethetist.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyThu 02 Oct 2008, 2:33 am

Sounds like you're well considered, Rice Cake, and it's a shame you can't have both ops together, but I totally understand your reasons for staying away from the band.
Good luck at the hospital today, and let us know how you go.
Chris
Back to top Go down
ang
ang

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyThu 02 Oct 2008, 1:32 am

Welcome Rice cake,
I am 7 days post op from having a sleeve. I didn't even consider the band for various reasons. I have lost 3 kgs but my start weight was 84kgs. I am more than happy with this as slow and steady make it easier for the body to cope with. Make sure you do your homework, ask the questions or look on the forum for answers. I think all the hard and easy answers are here somewhere. Best wishes for your journey and Jan '09 will come quickly.
Ang
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyThu 02 Oct 2008, 1:30 am

Thanks. I must have missed the diary section. I had about 4 hours sleep, I have to be at the hospital for the scope at 11am.

I can't get my surgery done together, it is too high risk as I have epilepsy. I've not found anyone on the forums I have read on the net who has epilepsy and WLS. So, I have determined I must be the only fat epileptic in the world!!

Anyway, one of my main reasons for the sleeve is although the inital post op risks are higher than the band, long term they are lower.

I've had multiple periods in my life where I have been sick with epilepsy for months and months and it will more than likely happen again. I hate going to the doc sometimes, I just get sick of it all, just want to stay away from them. So, with the band you go for fills, that means going to the doc. Mentally, I know that if I had to do that, I would go through periods where I just couldn't face it because I know me. So, I think I need something I can have done, when all is well I can be left alone.

Also worried about pills sticking in the pouch from the band, the band falling off if I have a seizure. I talked it all over with the doc and also have clearance from my neurologist.

Oh, I sleep on my tummy and I can image I'd be ripping the port out if I couldn't get comfortable with it if I had the band.

My hernia is going to look good today at the scope. I've spent the last half hour dry retching and can feel it. I took my pills on an empty stomach. Christ they make me sick...another reason I am thinking the band may not be the right option for me.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 11:23 pm

Hi Rice Cake and welcome to the forum
I'm sure you've had a look around, so you will see that there are quite a few people here who have either had a sleeve and gone to a band, or who have chosen one over the other.
My own story is in the diary and I go through my reasons for choosing the sleeve over the band in there, if you're interested.
A few of us have had a hiatus hernia repair at the same time as the sleeve - a 2 for 1 job, if you like. It seems to take us a little longer to heal, but is definitely worth it.
Good luck in your research, and I'm sure you'll work out what will suit you best.
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 5:43 pm

Hi,
I am new here, couldn't think of a user name and there was an empty pack of rice cakes on the table, hence the silly name.

Anyway, I went and saw a surgeon about the band. I had decided that was what I wanted. After talking to him, I am now considering the sleeve.

I have read up alot about the two procedures and think the sleeve would be better for me.

So, I am just here to read and ask questions as I need.

I am looking at having it done in January. I have to have a large hiatus hernia repair first in November.

I have the endoscope tomorrow, well actually today, I can't sleep, it's 1242am, I am worried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of sleeve instead of band   Thinking of sleeve instead of band Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of sleeve instead of band
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: