AuthorMessage
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyTue 30 Nov 2010, 10:16 pm

Ugh. I hate these battle of wills. My DH and i have them all the time.

In my case & most others in here I'm guessing, we'd play the "cant compare a surround sound system & dining table to surgery to correct life threatening condition" card eg sleep apnea causing heart conditions. Quality of life & removal of pain "how can you deny me an operation that ensures my health and welfare?" he's just cross its out of his control. Tell him you dont want the op (you don't, nobody does!) but that if you end up in hospital in the future with major weight related issues -diabetes blindness or amputation, early heart attacks, you'll try not to blame him. Then tell him to think about it and let you know, that you respect him etc.

Offer a sacrifice. "i'll stop my subscription to Craft Anonymous and No Idea"

If you are anumbers person, figure out how much you'll save on food in a year. Actually, thats bound to be a few grand.

Odd isnt it? In America it would be 20k or more and people pay.

Im Queen if the Passive Aggressive stance
New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question 314562
"if you really loved me..." "i want to be alive and in good health when our little treasures grow up & have our grandbubbies"

My DH is quite supportive in that "guy way" eg ME: im not sure... I'm scared..." HIM: suck it up and deal with it, its booked now.
Gotta love their gentle compassion and insightful intuition. Not.

Good luck!
Ps worse comes to worse, talk about the increase in libido post op, how many of the women seem to want sex all the time. Ask him if that worries him... ;)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Gussam
Gussam

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyTue 30 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

Well I have had a bit of a backfire in my lead up to the op!

My DH who is a tad negative about most things in life - has hit the roof when he found out that I had booked a surgery date.

I work nearly every weekend during the year in the wedding industry (But I have a weekeend free in January which means I have nearly 2 weeks off work - as I am booked out for up to 12 months in advance and you just can't dump a bride if 'something comes up'

My kids start school next year in February ( I have 5 year old twin boys) and my parents are home for all of January....So knowing this I booked a date in Janurary for the surgery with the intention of letting my DH and I discuss my appointment, the surgeons reccomendations and availablilty and then I was going to gently let hime know how clever I have been and got it all worked out so there was no stress or pressure for him to cope with!!

Now my DH ( Dickhead at the moment) has absolutely cracked it because I have booked it all in without consulting him.
I have tried to reason that it is an appointment that can be cancelled, not a cent of money has being paid for the surgery and that I wanted to be all prepared for the 101 questions he would bark at me.

Seriously - I was damned either way!!

We will be out of pocket for about $5k - money is not an issue but he is making it out to be that I am some huge overspender and all I want is to spend every cent we have on frivilous renos, holidays and luxuries New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question 81722
Yes we are about to renovate - but it is for a theartre and surround sound package that he wants all because I want a bigger dining room table....Long story but the extra $5k for the surgery has put him into a tail spin.

So now ladies and gents.......

How did your other halves cope when the actual $$$$$$$$ were mentioned in relation to the surgery???
Back to top Go down
melbell
Part of the furniture
melbell

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2010-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 9:16 pm

hello

just always remember the band is a lot different and doesnt work for everyone not many people from what i read ,whereas the sleeve i am yet to hear anyone say they didnt lose weight .

mel
Back to top Go down
Gussam
Gussam

Female

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback!!!

I was a little worried as I have a friend with PCOS who had a band done nearly a year ago.....And she has lost less than 10kg and she can only maintain the weightloss if she uses shakes as meal supplements.

She thinks her loss of weight is PCOS related and not the band being suitable for her.

This means that I do have a real chance at some longterm ( permanent!) weightloss......Which would be AMAZING!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
melbell
Part of the furniture
melbell

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2010-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 12:25 pm

hey gussam

i have pcos and am diabetic i actualy asked the doc same question was told will lose weight ,but might not lose as quick as someone without . but the weight will move as long as we do the right thing .

mel
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 10:13 am

"I too do aim to always eat protein first and also move my butt for 30 minutes everyday. .. having done those two things, then I know I have respected my sleeve and it's place in my life."

what an awesome way of looking at it - Respecting the Sleeve. I think I might borrow that :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 10:01 am

Hi Danielle,

I have PCOS and insulin resistance (and was well on the way to Type 2 diabetes) - I steadily gained weight since I was a teenager, with only diet pills abuse taking weight off for short periods of time.

I had the sleeve 6 months ago and I love it - I am down 35kg in the last year and my life feels so full and happy. I adore my little sleeve!

So, it is absolutely possible to lose weight once you have been sleeved with PCOS. The lack of hunger has saved me, literally saved my sanity, and it is a wonderful, wonderful part of the sleeve gastrectomy.

I too do aim to always eat protein first and also move my butt for 30 minutes everyday. Saying that, I still fail with this all the time but it is the two things I aim for every single day when I wake up and when I got to bed at night having done those two things, then I know I have respected my sleeve and it's place in my life.

I wish you all the very best of this wonderful journey,

xxxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
Carol80

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 8:21 am

Welcome Danielle :)

I have PCOS and your story sounds so familiar. I too am facing type2 diabetes (have insulin resistance) and had my sleeve aabout 3.5 weeks ago. So far I have been happy with my weight loss - about 9kg on pre-op diet, and 12kg since sleeve - but I faced a non sleeve medical prob which meant I had trouble keeping up my fluids so I don't think all of that is 'good' weight loss.

Something that was made clear to me pre op was that I would need to focus on getting protein in first, then veg and only then carbs. Since I have done lower carb and low GI diets before this hasn't been a huge change for me and I was conscious that with my insulin resistance a diet plan with focus on protein is good for me anyway.

best of luck with your surgery and recovery, and please feel free to ask any questions :)

Carol
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 7:54 am

Hi Danielle and welcome,

Congratulations on getting your sleeve date. I had mine in February and can truly tell you that I LOVE IT !!! I still have a way to go but am already so much healthier and happier, and it just keeps getting better all the time :-)

Have a good read around the site, there is lots of good information here to help you along the way. Here are some links to get you started: In the Other Health Issues section you will find quite a few threads on PCOS. The Diaries are a fantastic resource, and the Pre-op & Post-op sections will be helpful too. Along with the January Sleevers section where you'll find other of members who are at the same stage as you.

Have a read of the Welcome to Newbies section too, it will give you an idea of how the site works, and if you want to put a ticker in your signature the instructions are there.

If you can't find answers to your questions, ask away :-) there is sure to be someone about to do their best to help and support you.

It's lovely to meet you, and I look forward to talking to you more around the site.

Cheers – Carrie
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 7:31 am

Hi Danielle and welcome to this inspirational site.

I have had PCOS and spent approx. 30 years dieting. I was sleeved 1 year ago and have never looked back. I am very pleased with the results achieved having lost 50kgs during this year.

I don't have children and conceiving whilst having PCOS has never been an issue for me, but I am aware of the possible complications.

I don't know that I can be of assistance to you but please feel free to ask and I will do my best.

good luck
Bruna
Back to top Go down
Gussam
Gussam

Female

PostSubject: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 4:26 am

Hello all!

I saw the surgeon today and have walked out with a procedure date for Jan 12th 2011

I would love to chat to some PCOS ladies to see if the sleeve did mean a weight loss for them

I don't want to have the surgery and still have my weight issues and a steady weight gain.

I only just qualify for the sleeve - BMI of 34 and I have just been dx'd as having PCOS after years of weight issues and fertility issues.
The PCOS dx is because of blood tests coming back showing the levels where they should and fertility issues and I am heading towards type II diabetes.

Scans in the past years have not shown cysts on the ovaries - though I am about to book in for an internal and much clearer scan of the ovaries to see if any are present.

Enough of my rambling

Thanks

Danielle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question   New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question Empty

Back to top Go down

New kid on the block and I have a PCOS question
Page 1 of 1