*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Sleeve and smoking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 3:09 am

I was a smoker pre op, I gave up 12 hours before they op like they told me to! Then after the op I just didn't want one, infact the smell made me feel sick. But I am smoking again now, no where near as much as I did. I don't smoke at all at work, and only 2 or 3 at night.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 3:05 am

Reflux flares are definitely related to smoking.

I smoked for about 15 years, then gave up in 2007. My mother died of cancer in July and I swore that I would never have another cigarette.. after watching her die with a cancer she couldn't prevent, I can't stomach the thought of deliberately inhaling carcinogens.

I quit (as did my parents, brother, 2 sisters and a few friends) using the Allen Carr seminars - money back guarantee. It actually worked like magic.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 2:41 am

Ditto! LOL
Yep, I was done around the same time as Sue. At the time, I wasn't smoking, but since about 18 months ago have taken it up again.
It was a very stressful period, and of course I couldn't (and wouldn't) turn to food again, and there were smokers all around me...you know how it goes.
Every day since then I tell myself this is the last packet - but who am I kidding?
I had a hiatus hernia repair at the same time as the sleeve, and my reflux was pretty much gone after a few months, but I notice that I occasionally get it again now. I attribute it to the smoking ... but don't know if this is accurate.
I've had 2 shoulder ops since then, and had to give up 2 weeks before the first one (did so, but had one as soon as I got home), and the second time they just strongly recommended I stop (which I didn't, although I did cut down). Funny, since it was the same surgeon!
Don't know how any of this can help you, but at least you know you're not alone!
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 12:15 am

Im a smoker as well was sleeved 2 1/2 years ago was suppose to give up before the op but i didnt just smoked less before the op and im still smoking So it doesnt affect the sleeve at all but some people think well they are gunna lose weight for there health so they give up smoking as well which makes sense great that they were able to do it

hugs sue
Back to top Go down
Mer

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 12:09 am

I am a smoker! I was just wondering if anyone who has had the sleeve is also a smoker and how it fits in with being sleeved...IF it fits in.. Sleeve and smoking? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve and smoking?   Sleeve and smoking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeve and smoking?
Page 1 of 1