Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!

Go down 
+4
Tempest
myeverest
Emily
melpaulned
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 03 Dec 2011, 8:03 am

Good luck for Monday Mel.

5 weeks post op I experienced bad pain and it was burning but it was also radiating from under my rib area, then upwards into my chest and around to my back. I had also been getting pain in my back since the day I was sleeved and it was dull and burning type of pain. All the experts shrugged it off as initially shoulder tip pain and then reflux.

It turned out to be a Gallbladder attack. I had to call an ambulance and my Surgeon because I thought I had a leak! 4 weeks after the attack, my sleeve surgeon removed my Gallbladder, 2 weeks ago actually :)

I hope it's nothing sinister like that for you though but I just thought I'd put that out there just in case you are feeling something similar :)
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 03 Dec 2011, 5:34 am

oh great :(
am seeing gp on monday so will check
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 03 Dec 2011, 5:11 am

It could be a bowel problem, either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or diverticulitis....
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 03 Dec 2011, 4:09 am

just bumping this up as i was sleeved aug 2010 and have now gotten the left pain again

i really doubt it's anything sinister, just old cuts scars internally ?

anyway wanted to see if i was alone in this?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptyTue 08 Feb 2011, 4:55 am

Found this old post searching for abdo pain - I am 6 months out and have had a weird pain all day today. When running down stairs at work, got kind of a sharp stabbing pain in my left side, right at waist level. It was ok, then worse with laughing or jumping around. I am seeing the GI doc anyhow in a couple of days so I am not too worried.

At the moment I am thinking either:
1. Reflux related problem;
2. Muscular strain;
3. Some kind of tugging at an internal suture site...??

Will let you know if I find anything out.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 8:01 pm

thanks ladies i feel a lot better
i guess i'll get it checked out if it becomes a pain (ha ha)
thanks again
mel
Back to top Go down
mariat
mariat

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 10:03 am

i still have the odd twinge or ache in my left side 14 months on..... if i sit too long or dont stretch. mind you, i have pain in the area i had my appendix out when the weather is very cold.. and that was 20 years ago !!!

i think that once the body has been cut, moved etc... its never quite the same. we heal but still have scar tissue.

get it checked if you are worried, but im sure all is ok. all the best, mariat x
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 9:48 am

Hiya,

I had it for months after the surgery but on the right hand side.
If I would sit too long in the car or oh lots of things, more a burning than a pain. No pain when tummy pressed.
Went through masses of tests after the surgery which just proves that the surgeon is thorough, it was just scars whatever internally and did resolve itself.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptyMon 22 Nov 2010, 5:41 am

I ended up going to Kareena after hours where the doc told me it was muscle pain. I saw my physio today (for my back) and she said muscles don’t burn

(sigh) she thinks it is probably scar pain from the surgery. I should have waited til today and saved myself nearly 100 bucks!
Nevermind, if it persists i’ll see a doc (my regular one) about it.

does no one else have this?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm

I wouldn't worry too much with that level of discomfort - there's not much on the left side that could be injured. Just keep an eye on it and see how you do.
Back to top Go down
myeverest
Part of the furniture
myeverest

Female
Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 9:37 pm

Hi Mel,
when I went for my check up last week with the surgeon...he had me lay flat and he pressed near my incisions....one on the right and one on the left....and asked me to lift my head and cough...I think he was looking for hernias near the incision sites maybe.....I should've asked but didn't. but I kind of guessed thats the reason for the cough bit.
maybe thats the reason for the pain that your experiencing.
hope it sorts itself out.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 9:29 pm

Hi Emily
Pain is only 1/10 and when i bend over maybe a 3/10

It doesn't radiate
Kinda feels burny but not sharp when i exert to get up after bending over
Tummy doesn't hurt when pressed
i haven't eaten yet but last night i was at a party and the food / drink made no difference

I had tight jeans on last night which were painful but the pain started early yesterday morning - otherwise i'd be blaming the jeans!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 9:27 pm

Don't panic yet :)

A pulled muscle/strain could happen on either side.

What sort of pain? (Dull, sharp, ache, burn?)

What makes it better/worse? Does it move/radiate anywhere? Is it better/worse with movement/rest? Related to food intake?

How bad out of 10 would you score it?
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! EmptySat 20 Nov 2010, 9:10 pm

I am now worrying that my tummy has a problem.
I started getting a sore left side pretty much where the bottom of my ribs are on the left (so prob not gallstones).
it's not constant but i did feel it during the day and night
This morning when i bent over to pick up laundry it hurt when i stood up again (when i was getting back up again)
it's a weird pain, kinda burny

Help!!!!
Mel
PS I am fine in every other way, no fevers etc etc
I did go swimming for the first time on Friday so could be a pulled muscle but why isn't it on the other side
PPS It's of course a sunday so nothing open!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!   Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pain on left side of abdo 3 + months after surgery - please help freaking out!
Page 1 of 1