AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Pregnancy with the sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016, 1:28 pm

Hope it all goes well!!

Pregnancy with the sleeve 878453
You both have been through the wringer!  The sleeve journey is interesting enough even at 8 weeks from the sleeve, without the added bonus of a baby to also provide nutrients too.  Hope it all goes well, and we hear from you regularly until in 10 weeks you tell you had a beautiful baby girl/boy!

Congratulations and good luck!

:)
Back to top Go down
TamF

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Pregnancy 8 weeks post-op   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016, 9:30 am

Hi all

I see this thread has been inactive for a year by now, but wanted to add to it as I fell pregnant pretty early after my sleeve (about 8 weeks) and I really struggled to find information about the effects of pregnancy so soon afterwards, so hopefully this adds information for the next person who needs to know about pregnancy within the blink of an eye of the surgery!

I contracted acute bilateral pneumonia within 2 weeks of the surgery and was hospitalised with sepsis as I didn't respond to the symptoms soon enough - I thought they were side effects of the surgery. I was put on REALLY strong antibiotics and didn't even think about how that would affect contraception - and then I fell pregnant within 8 weeks of getting sleeved.

It's been a rough road - I've continued to lose weight throughout the pregnancy and am currently, at 30 weeks pregnant, 10 kg lighter than I was when I found out at 8 weeks. My OB estimates that I've lost approx 17kg over the last 22 weeks (accounting for baby's weight and increased fluids, etc). My surgeon, OB and dietitian have all worked very closely with me throughout but baby and I have still struggled. Because I fell so early, I wasn't eating "real" food yet by the time I started having morning sickness, and I am still unable to tolerate very fibrous foods, including red meats. My sleeve is also still quite small and so my intake capacity is severely restricted - this makes it very difficult to get the nutrition that I need, let alone enough for the baby too.

The baby's growth has been affected by the restriction, but now that I have entered the third trimester and her nutritional requirements have increased, her growth has slowed significantly and she has officially been diagnosed with IUGR. I am eating all day, every day, and I'm on high calorie supplements, but it's not enough to sustain her growth at this stage. My medical team have put me on bed rest to conserve energy, and have put together a "grazing" plan, if you will, to try and increase the calories with even more food if I can tolerate it, but if I haven't gained any weight within the next week they will be hospitalising me and inserting a central line to pump in prenatal nutrition (don't know if that's even a thing? it's what they called it though) to keep the baby in as long as they can, as she will need to come out if her growth plateaus.

I wanted to put this out there as it is my firm belief that no-one goes through such an invasive and restrictive operation just to bugger it up a few months later by falling pregnant - we do it to be healthy, and be there for the people we love. BUT - I have seen and heard from people trying to decide how soon they could possibly fall pregnant against medical advice after getting sleeved. Some people don't seem to have had any problems, but some, like me, have no end of health problems, and there can be serious consequences for the baby. My pregnancy was not planned, but I would never in a million years have it this close to the surgery if I had a do-over. The teamwork between my OB, dietitian and surgeon has been SO important - between them they have been monitoring everything that can possibly be measured and they've caught some pretty big problems very early on, before they could become major problems.

I'll update again after the baby's born (hopefully not before 10 weeks from now!) and I don't mean to be all doom and gloom about this, but I also think there's an important "other side" to the story that rarely gets told.
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Pregnancy with sleeve GTT   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyThu 26 Nov 2015, 9:37 pm

I had the GTT whilst pregnant, it went fine. I was just 2 years post sleeve. Having said that I was nervous because when I had one soon after my sleeve I got violently ill, so I really didn't want to have a GTT while pregnant but I had no reaction at all!
My little girls is nearly 1.5 now.
Back to top Go down
Bridie
Bridie

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyTue 24 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

Nhat77 wrote:
Hi Ladies,
I know this thread is not really used but hopefully someone will get an email prompt and be able to share their experience with me.

Did you have to do the glucose tolerance test while pregnant,and how did you manage the drink? I'm 22 weeks on Monday so still a few weeks off the test but not sure if I can drink 500mls in 10 mins like they will want.
Anyone able to tell me how they went?

Thanks in advance,
Nhat x

Hey Nhat,

I'm 22 weeks pregnant now (due end of March 2016) and have come on the forum looking for the same answer as you were! How did you go with the glucose tolerance test? 

Thanks,
Bridie
Back to top Go down
Nhat77

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptySat 24 May 2014, 12:33 pm

Hi Ladies,
I know this thread is not really used but hopefully someone will get an email prompt and be able to share their experience with me.

Did you have to do the glucose tolerance test while pregnant,and how did you manage the drink? I'm 22 weeks on Monday so still a few weeks off the test but not sure if I can drink 500mls in 10 mins like they will want.
Anyone able to tell me how they went?

Thanks in advance,
Nhat x
Back to top Go down
Nhat77

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 21 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm

Hi all,
I'm 8 months post sleeve and 13 weeks pregnant.
My starting weight was 111kg, I was 82kg when I found out I was pregnant (I guess about 5 weeks) and now 77kgs.
I feel like all I do is eat - I think it helps me with the morning sickness, and all I want is carbs, but so far still loosing weight and bubs is doing well. I was/am really worried about stacking on the kgs but so far so good. My OB said most of the weight gain is after 20 weeks. I'm seeing my dietician and surgeon on Monday for a follow up. It'll be good to talk to the dietician about nutrition and make sure I'm getting what bubs and I need.
Hubby and I are over the moon to be having this baby!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptySun 23 Feb 2014, 1:25 am

Just found this, it might help.

https://youtu.be/-10cnaFkTbM
Back to top Go down
alice.r
alice.r

Female
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: breastfeeding and sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 20 Jan 2014, 10:59 pm

I noticed you ladies mentioned your milk not coming in due to sleeve? Is that common? Is the likelihood that I wont be able to breastfeed because I have a sleeve??
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyWed 13 Nov 2013, 6:58 am

Congrats Chrissy :)
I had a baby boy on the 7th of October, 2 weeks and 5 days early weighing in at 3.09kg or 6lb13oz. I had put on 19kg, yet he weighed less than my older boys (pre-sleeve)....had a couple of issues but non-sleeve related; but all in all a healthy babe he is! I've lost 7kg since he was born, so I'm going to have to go back on Opti or something to get back to where I was a bit faster, but I'm steadily losing without trying, so I'm not worried. My milk also didn't come in...regardless of the fact I took every pill under the sun and pumped like no tomorrow...he was always hungry after a feed, whether it was 1 hour or 4...we tried.
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 8:54 am

Hello Ladies. 

I had my baby girl on monday 14th of october. I got pregnant approx 5 months after my sleeve. How i will not lie. i found eating the required amount of food i needed for my pregnancy to be really hard... but bubs was born fit n healthy at 3.1kg.  due to the fact that we have the sleevve i have not been able to breast feed. my supply just didnt come in.

MY weight now is 60.5kg ... i took me less than a week to get to my post baby weight . n now im even less than that.

Starting a whole new chapter of my life now... a Happy, healthy and sleepless one lol
Back to top Go down
smileykylie
Part of the furniture
smileykylie

Female
Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013, 12:35 pm

Gosh it's been forever since I came into this forum but I want to share some news (in case any older members from my time were still around) - I'm just over 3 years since my sleeve and have maintained my 65 kilo weight lose for that time NOW I'm 24 weeks pregnant and happy as larry.
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyWed 03 Jul 2013, 6:11 am

How's everybody going??
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyWed 22 May 2013, 3:55 pm

As somebody who got pregnant within a few weeks of getting the sleeve (by accident) I would highly recommend waiting. Who knows if the sleeve would have actually worked for me if I hadn't got pregnant and gone through all the pregnancy issues. I am 32 also, another year will be worth the wait just to be healthy and get the maximum benefit from the "honeymoon period" with the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
mooka-manda
mooka-manda

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

I'm sure my surgeon's guidelines were to try and wait for 12 months after surgery before conceiving. Maybe check, I'm sure all surgeons may differ. 2 years seems excessive to me but I'm just naturally impatient lol
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013, 8:38 am

I totally agree with littleMisscee. You are only 32, in another yr you could have lost more weight etc.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013, 6:21 am

Personally, I would wait.

You are only9 months out (I was also told to wait 2 years,though others have had babies earlier with no complications).

If you were 42 rather than 32, I would probably be getting a wriggle on with the baby making, but you still have plenty of time left on your clock and more time to get your weight down even more to a manageable stage.

Your decision ultimately, but I'd also have a chat with your surgeon before going ahead.
Back to top Go down
devilishchicky
devilishchicky

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Advice please   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyFri 12 Apr 2013, 4:09 am

Hi there, I was at my heaviest 182.5kgs and had my 2nd child which took me at one point to 184kgs and that was my heaviest EVER!!!

I have been sleeved and am starting to consider having a 3rd child however im nearly 9mnths out and weigh in at 118kgs.

I have had my mirena (IUD) removed this week due to having symptoms surrounding the Mirena which made me think this thing was not really doing me any good!!!

I live in Emerald QLD and have over 40 family members in this town alone so have enough support to help me through anything and everything.

So in saying that i have 2 other sisters that have had the sleeve also and have told me that i should wait 2 years after the sleeve :-S but i know my internal clock is wanting other things!!

Any ideas or suggestions or thoughts surrounding this?

Baring in mind i have had no complications with the sleeve, I am totally healthy apart from being over weight!!!
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyThu 11 Apr 2013, 4:25 am

Well, 12 weeks today and all going well! I have an appointment next week when the man is on days off, looking forward to seeing bubs on the ultrasound :)
Am eating like a friggin horse, and weighed in at 76kg yesterday :/ At twelve weeks, going by my weight when I fell pregnant, I shouldn't be any more than 74kg. Have been blaming Easter etc, but it's not just that, it's my shit meal choices and snacking lately and I'm really feeling it in my clothes etc. Giving up smoking hasn't helped the snacking, either. So today I went and stocked up on the old faves, protein packed low carb stuff. I don't want to lose weight, I want to not gain it so fast....other than at, the morning sickness is pretty much gone, just having some light headed moments here and there and feeling pretty tired, the shit food can't be helping that! At the end of the day a long as baby is healthy I'm not too fussed, I think I'm just scared of packing on so much that I gt too overwhelmed to be able to drop it again, and give up.
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptySun 31 Mar 2013, 3:40 am

IM PREGNANT and have been having non stop morning sickness... Pregnancy with the sleeve 135961

I
am 11 weeks and a few days so far... bubs is going well. I had an US
last week and he was moving and wobbling and kicking ... so im praying
that the net few months i start putting on the weight again so that bubz
can have the most healthy start to life... :)
Back to top Go down
marescolt
Part of the furniture
marescolt

Female
Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 04 Mar 2013, 9:11 am

You will be fine ryjackmama. I don't know anyone that didn't worry through their whole pregnancy. Don't worry about your weight, just focus on your little bubba.
All the best and keep us updated,
Mares xxx
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 04 Mar 2013, 5:09 am

Thank you :) I'm so nervous every time I go to the toilet that I'm going to be bleeding :/ having a scan in Thursday, just gotta have faith that it's all going to be ok! Lots of strong symptoms so that's a good sign :) I think it's all in my head but I just feel like eating all the time as well, not looking good on the scales, up to 73.6 :/ not cool considering I'm not even 7 weeks!

Hape2cu, how are you going?
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyMon 25 Feb 2013, 2:14 am

Congratulations!

I hope you have a safe & healthy pregnancy :)
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptySun 24 Feb 2013, 11:48 pm

Hi ladies, time for me to joing the group of pregnant sleevers! Am nearly 6 weeks along, due October 24th, which is 3 days before my eldest son's 7th birthday. I also have a 4 year old, he'll be 5 in August so it's been a while since I've done this lol. I was pregnant last year but miscarried at 7 weeks in November.

I don't remember feeling so sick/tired! Also worried about the weight gain, I know it's normal but it's going to be a bit stressful seeing the scales go up after losing all that weight. Sitting at 72kg now and watching carefully and reminding myself I can't just eat whatever I want because I'm pregnant lol.
Back to top Go down
hape2cu

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Im still here   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyTue 19 Feb 2013, 11:10 pm

Just got a notification from this thread, just thought id let you know im still here.

Currently 30 weeks pregnant tomorrow. Having bubs via c section at 38 weeks at this stage as i have placenta previa. Which although i hate surgery, is still better than the unknown in my opinion.

Having 3D photos this weekend, and currently battling a cold. Pregnancy with the sleeve 135961

Cant say its been the easiest run, although im sure others have had it harder. Lots of nausea the whole way through, and a really bad bought of gastro had me hospitilized on a drip.

Weight wise i weigh just under what i started 30 weeks ago. I had gained 3 kilos before i got pregnant, then lost them in the early days again. And currently keep losing gaining and losing the last kilo over and over again. But my OB is happy and says bubs is healthy, which i can agree on seeing as though she is constantly kicking me. Im over people telling me i dont look big enough (i havent really popped out much yet) You would think after years of being fat being told im too small would be nice, but im over it. I just want to look as far along pregnant as i am.

Hope any others out there are doing well.

Hape2cu
xx
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve EmptyTue 19 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

Hey where did everyone go? no more pregnant sleevers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pregnancy with the sleeve   Pregnancy with the sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Pregnancy with the sleeve
Page 1 of 24Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next