AuthorMessage
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Fluid retention and heart related issues Empty
PostSubject: Blood pressure medication and fluid retention   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptySun 14 Sep 2008, 3:24 pm

Just an update on the fluid retention with a doubling and tripling of my diuretic medications I am happy to announce that I have lost all 16 pounds of fluid that I gained in the hospital. I am now one pound less than when I entered much to my pleasure. I am continuing on the increased diuretics for maybe two extra days at most since I may still be harbouring a few extra pounds of fluid. I want it off of course but I don't want to pass out due to low blood pressure. Boy will I be glad when I can cut down on some of these medications permanently. I saw the note that you wrote applesauce that you have lost all that weight but your pressure medications have not dropped which I find surprising. Keep on top of it because it may happen suddenly. Maybe you have increased your salt intake? Or maybe your dosage of pressure medications was always fairly low? Tis a puzzlement.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptySat 13 Sep 2008, 6:24 am

Hi Shanna,

My heart is fine, No High blood pressure like before, and apparently the thyroid is ok too.
I'm doin ok, and I know I will get there. Your a doll, and dont worry about me so much!!
Hugs,
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 8:04 pm

Hayley- I am still worried about you- maybe you need to get things checked out a bit- I know you have been on a go slow weight loss- do we know that your heart and thryroid and all those other good things are okay. You have to advocate for yourself- you can't count on your doctors taking charge.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

I dont know about the heart issues Shanna, but I do know all about the fluid retention.
Oh man, I felt so much like a great big fat beached whale. I mean, I felt the like the most unattractive I have ever felt in my life!!
But, chill babe! For it wont be long before the fluid leaves, the gas disappears and you are feeling well again.
Then you will see those scales dropping.
Hayley
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 4:29 pm

Re the fluid retention, I have had a fluid retention problem since I was in my early 20s, but my heart is fine, I have had it checked several times, so maybe in my case it was a kidney or hormone inbalance. In hospital I gained 4kg, but that has now come off plus another 9kgs. My bb did go up a bit day 2 in hospital, but was not taking bb meds first few days. My increase bb has been a relatively new development ie last 6 months and one of the reasons for getting surgery. At the moment my fluid retention seems to be gone, I haven't had such thin ankles for as long as I can remember. YAH.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 3:50 pm

if you are talking heavy thick fluids milk based etc then take it easy on those and limit it to about 200ml in one hit thicker milk drinks runny custards etc . BUT yur surgeon is right how much fluid you can knock back has zip to do with how big your new tummy is. the male of the species has been able to knock back HUGE volumes of liquids from day one while it took me months and months and I still have never caught up with him even tho he is ahead of me surgery wise by 2 weeks. When it comes to food I have always been able to eat a tad more than him a spoon or 2 :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Number One Song Site and Fluid Retention   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

applesauce wrote:
I can not remeber now how much I gained, see who easy it goes away over time *LOL* BUT I did gain. I had extremely bad fluid retention for about 10 days. My ankles where tankles it was shocking. Even with going to the loo like crazy but I had a drinp in for days. I was off blood pressure meds for a couple of days and my blood pressure was up. But it is one of those strange things even with over 45kg lost I have not dropped my blood pressure in the last 12 months.

the web site for the songs is
http://www.joshhosler.biz/NumberOneInHistory/SelectMonth.htm

applesauce

I love the my ankles looked like tankles - poetic and witty at the same time.

Will send the web site off to my sister- I think Bychic also wanted to check it out as well which is why I put it in the post title so it would come back up if we used search - it is really a clever web site.
As for the Fluid Retention (Which you may want to move somewhere Hayley- I wasn't sure what the best place was) it is interesting that they cut my blood pressure meds when I was in the hospital because my pressure was very low, which caused my fluid to skyrocket. My pressure rose very, very, minimally and I don't know what it is now- I have a home meter but it is notoriously unreliable as far as I am concerned.

Moving on to the drain, that may have been part of the problem- by the time I woke up enough to be aware of what was going on there was no drain- does this mean it went in and got taken out post surgery or that it never went in- I have absolutely no idea. I told the nurse to break the vacuum before she pulled out the drain and she said laughingly that that was impossible since there wasn't one. So much for that concern---at the time I was thrilled but maybe that contributed to the fluid retention.

As for the great debate about length of hospital stay I was in there two days but would have be able to get out in one in a pinch.

Not hungry yet but very, very thirsty. Just as another aside I was drinking nonstop in the hospital otherwise my mouth was so dry and thick I could hardly talk and just sounded like a frog croaking. I was concerned that all that fluid would stretch my new stomach but when I asked my surgeon if it could he said absolutely not possible. I am pretty sure there was an earlier post here that said the opposite but I was so uncomfortable I decided to trust my surgeon and drank away.

Off to look up the posts that tell me how much I should be eating right now. I got these cute little espresso glass cups and I was going to fill one up with water and use it as my food gauge. Did do a study on the most digestible protein for the least amount of calories and came up with fat free Ricotta cheese and Greek yogurt plain also fat free- If anyone wants to see the math let me know.

Off to get another drink and take a little rest
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 9:35 am

I can not remeber now how much I gained, see who easy it goes away over time *LOL* BUT I did gain. I had extremely bad fluid retention for about 10 days. My ankles where tankles it was shocking. Even with going to the loo like crazy but I had a drinp in for days. I was off blood pressure meds for a couple of days and my blood pressure was up. But it is one of those strange things even with over 45kg lost I have not dropped my blood pressure in the last 12 months.

the web site for the songs is
http://www.joshhosler.biz/NumberOneInHistory/SelectMonth.htm

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 8:57 am

Well here I am again- not only do I not have constipation but I am actively working on a little item that only Bigbugger seemed to mention as an aside in one of her posts- this is from memory- I haven't taken the time to go back and check for it.

FLUID RETENTION

My weight went from 233 pounds when I left for the hospital on Monday morning to about 249 pounds when I returned home from the hospital on Wednesday at noon. This is symptomatic for a heart that is functioning poorly and can not get the fluid to leave the body on its own power. My question here is how much fluid if any did other people retain. My caution - and maybe this should go into the other illnesses section Hayley- is that if you gain an enormous amount of fluid it may mean an early stage of cardiac failure- which I have. This can be managed with diuretics and hopefully weight loss but if it happens/happened to you it is a huge and important warning signal.

Just to let you know I have been home a day and a half and have lost 10 pounds of the fluid so it can be handled but it required careful monitoring. And note this is heart related, not age related...so put this piece of information away in case you ever need to look at it again in the future... even a few pound of fluid retention puts a strain on your heart- 17 pounds is enormous and is one of the main items that worried my cardiologist :[img]http://ww

On another note- It sure as heck is frustrating to go into the hospital for weight loss and come out 16 pounds heavier in just 2 days- I wonder if this is some sort of record? Whenever I go into Mount Sinai I seem to experience something that is out of the ordinary.

Shanna:234668: Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366 Fluid retention and heart related issues 68366

On a lighter note miss applesauce- is there something cosmic here that I was born on the day that Sixteen Tons was the number one song, and I gained exactly 16 pounds of fluid- is this a sign that my weight problems are going to go away?

PS- can you find the website information for me- my sister thinks I am making the whole thing up.

PPS- Notice how many tantruming babies there are up there. Time for this girl to go sleepy bye again. Toothpicks can't keep my eyes open now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fluid retention and heart related issues   Fluid retention and heart related issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Fluid retention and heart related issues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: