Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)

Go down 
+7
*Lib*
cos im worth it
chrisbychic
Janette
shifthappens
applesauce
shelly25
11 posters
AuthorMessage
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) Empty
PostSubject: hello from Melbourne   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 11 Oct 2010, 3:39 am

i f you have stomach bug, it may be a good to have some gastrolite as well, as dehydration has the same symptoms as gastro, chucking wise, that is. So if it has been going on for a while maybe introduce gastrolite. i am being sleeved in two days time so i cannot offer any experience post op, but this just a practical thought that may or may not apply.

spoggy Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) 308167 Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) 65317
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 10 Oct 2010, 11:44 pm

Well i think im experiencing my first one today.

Woke up, had SEVERE stomach cramps on and off all morning. I have been to the loo 3 times and the pain is so bad.... its kind of radiating all over my belly.

Im hoping this isnt an indication of a leak..... Im 7 weeks out today.

I just took 2 buscopan to try and help with the cramps.

OW.

I wasnt even in this much pain after the surgery.

There cant be any more food in there!
Back to top Go down
not as tubbie39
not as tubbie39

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 4:33 pm

Hi,
Not a nice subject no. But after i had the swallow and gastrenol??swallow test, I had a rally bad night on the loo. dry retching and cramps. I actually thought i mite never make it off the loo.lol. thank goodness it stopped. Dont know if it was that horrible crap i had to drink or not, but yeah, a possibility. I was dry retching after my 3rd swallow of that stuff and warned the xray doctor he'd wear it if i had to drink anymore. lol. So glad its over. Dr Hopkins done an excellent job, no leaks, barely any pain. What more could i want, except the runs.!!
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:44 am

TOTALLY TOO MUCH INFORMATION AHEAD - LOL

I totally want to add my 2 cents worth - even though I'm not sleeved yet LOL

I had food poisoning with the band in and I actually wanted to die - I could only throw up bubbles and my stomach acid went through my intestines and bowel (because I couldn't throw it up) and out the wrong end (also not a pleasant experience). I was only in hospital for a day but not nice at all

So I am hoping once I get sleeved that any stomach bugs or similar go back to 'normal' and I can just throw up!! (Hey not that I am wanting a stomach bug)
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 7:09 am

I don't know where it all comes from but I had a bug over the weekend and the volume is still there Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) 135961
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 5:23 am

Thanks everyone!!

Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 4:26 am

I have had gastro twice. the going to the loo and throwing up is no different except you dont actually throw up as much volume wise. you still get to throw up and go to the loo just as much hehehe.
I just found a total inability to eat which I understand is very normal and common amongst skinny people when ill.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptyMon 19 Jul 2010, 2:20 am

I've had one unpleasant experience with 'up on the loo all night' diarrhoea just a couple of weeks ago.

All the family had had a vomiting bug so I guess for me it was the lesser of two evils.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm

I've had a couple of tummy bugs since the op, and have found very little difference to having them pre-sleeve - except that there's just not as much to chuck up, which is always a good thing!
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 8:42 pm

Shelly not had it and do I rarely get a stomach bug, so no help.

There is a support group meeting in Wagga in a couple of weeks, I am thinking of going, will ask the question. The last couple of times I have been there has been quite alot of people there.

Back to top Go down
shifthappens

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 5:52 pm

Yea, it's a icky topic but for those who are interested....

Just the other day I stumbled onto a web site that explained vomiting. I know it's odd, but as I started reading I found it very interesting. It was something I'd never given any thought to. It explained that it's such a violent action for the body because it's being forced to do the opposite of what it natural. All of the muscles in place are normally meant to keep everything down. When a person vomits, those muscles are having to reverse and, in this article, the description was that the stomach almost has to turn itself inside out.

I'd never thought of that and it gave me a bit of worry in terms of how different the stomach will be once it's sleeved. A bag type stomach turning inside out seems so much easier than a sleeve type.

So I have my support meeting on Tuesday night and was going to ask those who have already been sleeved what the experience is like for them. I can see where the overeating a bit too much food issue wouldn't be all that major. But a real stomach bug sounds like it would be very hard on the new tummy. And the old woman with the new tummy!

Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm

apple have you ever had like vomiting or diarehea (again yukky topic i know)
is that any different after the sleeve,seeing as we eat less ,is it not as bad??
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

I can say for me it is like being a normal person the thought of food is a horror. I can bearly get down a cup of tea when sick these days. Before surgery being sick so didnt stop me eating . Now from what I understand it is perfectly normal to not want to even know food and to struggle getting anything down when you have the flu. So yeap life as a normal person not one with a cast iron consitution that can eat though anything hehehe

My advise is to grab some tony ferguson shakes, the tetra packs so you dont have to mess around when ill and suck on those for a bit of nutrition and energy.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female

PostSubject: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 11:54 am

I was wondering ,seeing as we are going into stomach bug season,
if sleevers who have had vomiting etc type stomach bugs could tell us
what to expect.Is it not as bad because our tummies are smaller and cant hold as much?
Sorry ,but ive been wondering!!

Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) 135961

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)   Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry) Empty

Back to top Go down

Stomach bugs & the sleeve (yukky subject..sorry)
Page 1 of 1