11 posters
AuthorMessage
Gutless Wonder
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-18

Is my stomach to small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyFri 11 Jun 2010, 3:20 am

You know I am nearly 3 & a half years out, and I still wonder if my stomach is too small.
I can hardly eat anything, and struggle to maintain my weight.
I have to eat full cream milk, full fat natural yoghurt, tons of butter & cream , nuts & chocolate so I don't loose any more weight.
Today I think I am going to buy a Mcflurry shake from mcdonalds after someone mentioned the high calorie count they have on another message.
I thought it sounded a good idea.
Hey, I am not complaining though, just telling it like it is.
Back to top Go down
cirianz

Female
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyTue 08 Jun 2010, 6:11 am

Thanks applesauce :) I'll dig out my eggpoacher in anticipation :) It seems stupid to be so eager for something so ordinary lol

Last night for tea I tried a couple of teaspoons of cottage cheese. I took them real slow & mushed them with my tounge thouroughly (I have to confess to liking cottage cheese, but really It was texture I was hankering after more than anything) before swallowing and they went down ok. I definitely felt a bit overfull afterwards & might stick to the drinking yogurt & smoothies for a couple more days before I try again, but oh the texture was heavenly! kiss
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyMon 07 Jun 2010, 5:20 pm

Yum, poached eggs. My breakfast is now my favorite meal, poached eggs. Hope you enjoy that first egg.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyMon 07 Jun 2010, 7:58 am

better to have a soft poached egg than scrambled ro start woth as the protien in eggs once beaten are harder to digest and can be be uncomfortable on a new tummy for some.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
cirianz

Female
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyMon 07 Jun 2010, 7:36 am

wendy.stewart54 wrote:
Day 12 today. I am not sleeping well at night, so during my waking hours, (3-5am), I planned my egg. I soooo wanted a poached egg. So, poached egg chopped with my precious whizz stick, and I ate it. It. Yum yum, but it is sitting heavy. So, back to soup, yoghurt, baby food, smoothies and sloppy pureed vegetables for me.
I am amazed at how little I can live on, when before I thought my throat was cut even after enormous platefuls.
Cheers,
Wendy

I know what you mean, I am counting down the days until I can have a scrambled egg. I seem to be doing really well with the thicker liquids and am wondering if I should try a thicker puree type foods & see how they sit?
Back to top Go down
wendy.stewart54

Female
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyMon 07 Jun 2010, 12:20 am

Day 12 today. I am not sleeping well at night, so during my waking hours, (3-5am), I planned my egg. I soooo wanted a poached egg. So, poached egg chopped with my precious whizz stick, and I ate it. It. Yum yum, but it is sitting heavy. So, back to soup, yoghurt, baby food, smoothies and sloppy pureed vegetables for me.
I am amazed at how little I can live on, when before I thought my throat was cut even after enormous platefuls.
Cheers,
Wendy
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 2:19 pm

eating that much 2 weeks out doesnt seem right. you may be a super healer and that is where you stay. a better idea would be seeing how many grams out of a tin of rice cream you can eat. i am surprised you are eating anything resembling a meal type meal as most people are still on liquids or just on puree.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
youdlemum
youdlemum

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptySun 06 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

Gee I haven't had that problem at all. In fact I am worried that my stomach is still too big. I can eat a small entree size meal already and am only 2 weeks out.
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Hi Bob   Is my stomach to small? EmptyFri 04 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm

catbert6 wrote:
I am early in recovery than you so am unable to directly answer your question - however, I thought I would mention that my surgeon told me on a number of occasions after surgery that I should give him a call if I felt I had too much constriction - he said that needing a follow up "stretch" was not unusual, was nothing to be concerned about and was a relatively straight forward procedure. If a stretch is reasonably straightforward, it would make sense for the surgeon to aim to be a little undersized rather than oversized - but you should follow up.

I see you are in Norway - my family came from Norway to Australia in the 1850s - the first of my family in Australia was born in Drammen - unfortunately, he unofficially changed his name on arrival (we think he was a young sailor who jumped ship) so we are not sure what our Norwegian name actually is!

regards

Great that you are of Norwegian decent :-) I have posted you a personal message regarding this.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 8:43 pm

Hi there
Like you, I had trouble getting much at all in for some time.
I'm a slow healer, and wasn't able to eat mushies until much later than most - and the same with all the stages, really.
A few times I had to go backwards to the previous stage for a little while longer, too, but it was all good in the end, and I just kept telling myself that it was okay if I took a little longer than others as in the long run, it was still a very short time out of the rest of my life.
If you feel you're not getting enough nutrition, try throwing an Opti in each day, as well as your multi-vitamin, or add protein powder to some of your drinks and/or meals.
But don't hesitate to talk to your doc if you're really concerned - just a phone call can make all the difference, and it's always better to err on the side of caution.
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: Thank you   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 4:06 pm

Thanks all for the calming advice. I had a decaffeinated latte today, and realized that I actually have more room in my stomach than two weeks ago, as I was able to finish it in 1 hour. So you are very right all of you.

I am good on getting in liquids but the pureed has given me trouble. But now I am not worried anymore. The major thing I have to work with will be my patience, LOL

Thank you all for helping. It is priceless to have other "sleevers" to talk to :-)

Cheers
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 9:22 am

oh for some reason stupid here read it as 8 weeks out. I have to agree 4 weeks is still VERY early and a lot of people are barely off liquids or tiny amounts of puree at that stage. It would be time to think bout it if you where 8 weeks out and not moving on then it is time to say well give it a couple more weeks THEN seek attention and dont let it drag on to long.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 8:49 am

My stomach healed very slowly and I was only able to eat 4-6 teaspoons of food for many months. I am 9 months out now and able to eat a lot more.

4 weeks is still very early days so I wouldn't be too worried about it right now. Are you able to eat more yoghurt/custard/soups? Trying more solid food is sometimes harder to 'stomach' at this stage of your post op journey.

Is my stomach to small? 217555
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 3:44 am

give it another week or 2 if you have not moved onto about 100grams by then or close to it go and have a word with your surgeon. You might just be a slow healer with a lot of swelling or need a quick stretch. Do NOT leave it much longer than that tho as being able to eat tiny tiny amounts like that for prolonged times can lead to VERY bad habbits ones you dont want to develp. But as I said the chances are there is still quiet a bit of swelling and this will go over the next few weeks.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyWed 02 Jun 2010, 12:25 am

Hi Kaysa....

I'm now nearly eight weeks post op -- and stomach capacity seems to change daily according to what I am eating!

When I first ate grilled fish you could barely even tell that I had eaten any....slowly this is improving.

On saturday I was out and bought a grilled chicken cheese and tomato sandwich -- I was only able to eat about one and a half quarters -- and that was over 45minutes! But I don't feel constricted at all....able to get fluids down pretty quickly...

People like Lib and others are better to answer this question because they are much further along than us...but I wouldn't stress yet....I think we have to give our bodies time to adjust...

cheers

S
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyTue 01 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm

My stomach copasity has changed heaps since i had surgery. I thought I'd forever be living on 2 or 3 teaspoons, but now the amount I can fit in is amazing in comparrison to immediatly pre op.
Back to top Go down
catbert6
catbert6

Male
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyTue 01 Jun 2010, 10:18 pm

I am early in recovery than you so am unable to directly answer your question - however, I thought I would mention that my surgeon told me on a number of occasions after surgery that I should give him a call if I felt I had too much constriction - he said that needing a follow up "stretch" was not unusual, was nothing to be concerned about and was a relatively straight forward procedure. If a stretch is reasonably straightforward, it would make sense for the surgeon to aim to be a little undersized rather than oversized - but you should follow up.

I see you are in Norway - my family came from Norway to Australia in the 1850s - the first of my family in Australia was born in Drammen - unfortunately, he unofficially changed his name on arrival (we think he was a young sailor who jumped ship) so we are not sure what our Norwegian name actually is!

regards
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? EmptyTue 01 Jun 2010, 5:01 pm

I am in my forth week of surgery, and still not able to eat more than half an egg. One day I used 1 hour to get down 25 grams of fish! I am a bit worried that it is going to stay like this forever. So I have some questions:

Do you think my stomach is made to small, or is this a normal amount of food in week 4?

Can you describe how your own stomach capacity changed as the months went by?

Cheers
Kari
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my stomach to small?   Is my stomach to small? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my stomach to small?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: