25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Texasjade1

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-23

Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve and Diabetes   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 3:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Has anyone had any luck on lowering their blood sugars after the gastric sleeve?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
FatHatter

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-19

PostSubject: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 22 May 2010, 4:53 am

Hi - Just wondering if there are any diabetics (both type 1 and 2) on the forum who could share their experience please.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
OzGreek
OzGreek

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyMon 15 Mar 2010, 3:38 am

choney
i wish you all the best on your mission.
i know with the sleeve your taste buds change and with mine i dont eat red meat, rice or pasta and any bread that i can eat is only the flat breads. this i totaly believe and with the weight loss has contributed to my reduction in my medication for diabeties. i was not insuline dependant but taking tablet form 3000mg of diaphormine and 4mg of dimaral now i take 500mg diaphormine and 2mg of dimaral. i believe when i loss the remainder 10kilos of weight ill be off all medications for my diabeties and will be controlled with diet and excerise
i am off all medication for high blood pressure last reading was 120/70 and i had been of the blood pressure medication for 4 months. so its all possible.
let us know how u go with it all
all the best
Back to top Go down
Choney

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Mar 2010, 1:53 pm

I am insulin dependent on Lantus 80 units a day and novorapid with meals would say if it was regular 30/40/50 units durin the day. Am on Optifast at the moment waiting for band removal on the 19/3/10 and have novorapid 20/60 as I miss the luch dose in case of hypos in the afternoon and let it ride a bit until dinner. Am hoping having the sleeve will not only help the insulin issue and all the associated side effects but the weight obviously. Am sick of this insulin/weight merry go round. Will hopefully have my sleeve end of july beginnign of Aug depending on damage left from band. Fingers Crossed by Xmas 2010 I am free from needles at least
Back to top Go down
OzGreek
OzGreek

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2009, 4:38 am

i decided to do the sleeve only because my diabeties type 2 was out of control and my gp was going to put me on insuline. at the same time my blood pressure creeped up too so i decided then and there to push forward for this operation.
i was sleeved on the 20th of july so i am now 4 weeks post operative.
on the morning of my operation fasting my sugar levels read 10.9(to me that was normal cause i couldnt get it lower).
on my discharge 4 days later my readings dropped down to around 5.5. i was very happy. i saw my gp a week later and he told me to start cutting down on my meds. i was taking before my operation 3 times a day diaphormin 1000mg and dimerel 4mg once a day. now i take 1 diaphormin (but half in the morning and half in the evening) and 1 dimerel. every morning i wake up to readings of 4.4 i am hoping with more weight loss i will eventualy be med free from diabeties and control it with diet and excersie.
i honestly can not express how happy this makes me to see low readings and to top it all how much more energy and more zest for life i have now.
this procedure has been a god send for me and i just cant express how positive it has been for me and my health
i highly recommend it to anyone with health issues espcially diabeties.
btw my blood pressure is down too and only take 1/4 of the meds before the op. Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 65317 so its thumps up
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 6:42 pm

Oh, that's excellent,Terri - welcome to the 'no more insulin' club!
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

Well done Terri. That's fantastic news.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:50 pm

That's great news Terri. Congratulations.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
TC

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve and Diabetes   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 1:29 pm

Have managed to come off my insulin since having surgery. I think this is sensational. Feel like a "normal" person again and don't have to cart the syringes and stuff around. Blood sugars are still a little high sometimes but manage ok on oral meds.
Cheers,
Terri
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jan 2009, 6:27 am

heart
Back to top Go down
horseapplerancher
horseapplerancher

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyMon 12 Jan 2009, 6:26 am

I can't wait to get this done! I wake up ok,after a meal I feel short level of energy. then my body goes into lack of insulin mode and tired I become. I hate that feeling. I don't take meds currently because I just got the reacurring side effects of this disease two months ago. Anyhow I go on opti tomorrow so the doc will look me over soon. I just hate the racing hate and weird feeling I get
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 7:14 pm

Well done, Lou - it's a great feeling, isn't it?
Chris
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 10 Jan 2009, 2:49 pm

Just got my 6 month blood tests results back from the lab and reviewed with my endocrinologist.

My A1C is 5.9 with no diabetes medication! It had been around 6.9 on average with medication before the surgery and as much as 10.3 when out of control.

It also showed that I am approaching the low end of the recommended range of some vitamins, specifically Vitamin D3. This latest report is expected as per the classes I've taken. We're increasing some of the OTC multivitamins, but the prescription med dosages are decreasing or being eliminated!!!

This surgery has indeed become a lifesaver!
Back to top Go down
jacki

Female
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2008, 10:05 am

Hi texesjade1
had my sleeve done 9th/9/2008 now on no insulin no tablets feeling fantastic
sleeve worked well happy to be normal again jacki
Back to top Go down
Peter1969
Part of the furniture
Peter1969

Male
Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 9:07 am

Denise1971 wrote:
It's also suppose to help with PCOS - how are your ovaries going Kahunalou and Peter1969??

Mine were removed while in the womb, so PCOS is not an issue for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cpapestore.com
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 3:50 am

I was on Metformin for years for my diabetes and to help with weightloss - i don't think it did anything in terms of weightloss. All it did was give me a metallic taste in my mouth and the runs so bad i could poo through the eye of a needle. It's also suppose to help with PCOS - how are your ovaries going Kahunalou and Peter1969??

Now when I even see that word I start gagging blaaah.....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 2:00 am

Peter1969 wrote:
I'm on 1000Mg of Metaformin twice a day currently, but didn't know that it assisted weight loss.

Yeah, I am a little the same here as you Peter, I have been on 1700mg of Metformin a day for over 2 months now, and I dont think I have dropped weight and faster.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 12:28 am

I'd have to say in my case, yes!

I saw an immediate reduction in blood glucose levels after surgery. I was told to stop taking Lantus and Byetta immediately and to only continue taking 1000mg of Metformin 2x daily. At my one month follow-up with my endocrinologist, I was taken off the Metformin (due to my monitor readings being in the 80-100 mg/dl range). but continue to monitor my glucose levels. I'm coming up on my 90 day follow-up and my glucose levels have been stable between 90 and 140 mg/dl depending on the time of day and what I've eaten so I'm going to guess that my A1C will be at or below 7.0. I suspect my Metformin will be reduced at that time.

I'm also seeing other medications being reduced (Lisinopril for the hypertension and as a result theHydrochlorothiazide) as my weight falls and I exercise more.

I'm starting to see the results!
Back to top Go down
Peter1969
Part of the furniture
Peter1969

Male
Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Oct 2008, 8:11 pm

I'm on 1000Mg of Metaformin twice a day currently, but didn't know that it assisted weight loss.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cpapestore.com
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 4:12 am

now the sleeve itself will not lower your blood sugars the weight loss will. mine have gone from high teens and twenties to normal. I take meteformin ONLY to aid weight loss now as my blood sugars just do not need it. I was needing to be on insuline and being so terrified of needles fighting it like crazy hence I wanted this surgery to prevent it.
The ONLY odd thing with my surgery that has not been fixed is my blood pressure it has not come down even with all my major weight loss and exercise. We are not sure why this is. Just something rathr odd.

The ONLY known curer for diabetes is weight loss surgery, as diet and exercise alone once your are mobidly obese as a less than 3% success rate long term so is never deemed successful as a curer for diabetes.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 4:05 am

Hi Texasjade1
This has been mentioned on a few other threads, but I can't remember where the discussion took place.
Before I started dieting, at the beginning of the year, I was on 168 units of Lantus at night and 20 units of NovoRapid during the day, plus 2 x diamicron morning and night plus 1 x diabex morning and night.
By the time I went on to Optifast, I was down to about 150/18/18/20, and after about 6 weeks of Opti, I was down to about 120/18/18/20.
Now I am 14 weeks post-op, and am still working up to taking all my large pills. When I get it sorted, I'll just be on 1 x diabex morning and night. At the moment, though, I'm not taking that - just the Lantus - 10 units at night. That's all.
There have been improvements with other health problems, too, and I take only about 1/4 of the meds I used to take before the op. I think that will go up again, as there are a few that I'll have to go back on at the end of the review period, but it won't be many.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
Texasjade1

Female
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Gastric Sleeve and Diabetes   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Oct 2008, 3:21 am

Has anyone had any luck on lowering their blood sugars after the gastric sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Diabetics on Site   Any Diabetics on Site - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Diabetics on Site
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2