6 posters
AuthorMessage
cacooned
cacooned

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Why won't they tell me?!! Empty
PostSubject: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 1:46 am

Hi All,

Yesterday I received a confirmation letter from my surgeon for my initial consultation (next Friday - yay!).

In the letter it listed a forecast of the total costs including the procedures and appointments with item numbers saying that I should contact my PHI to make sure I'm covered.

Well, yesterday I did just that. I rang Medibank Private and asked how much I would get back for item number "x". They wouldn't tell me! They said they didn't know - WTF? I said, how can you not know when you are the one paying me? She said for me to ring Medicare and they can tell me what the actual cost of the item number is and how much I can expect to get back.

That just doesn't make sense to me. Medicare can tell me how much Medicare will cover but how on earth do they know how much my PHI will give me back?

I got off the phone thinking WTF! I'm their customer - I'm entitled to know what I'm covered for.

Anyone else had this from the PHI company?

Sorry about all the 'WTF's'. I'm really angry about it now though.

Cacooned
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
cacooned
cacooned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 3:21 am

Thanks Kylie :). Will check on that later on today.

Cacooned
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 8:43 am

I know! I've never had to use our PHI, so was confused how it all worked. They were hardly helpful! My PHI told me I would get back $900 odd for item 30518. I was covered for the stay in hospital, and theatre fees, etc., I will be out of pocket approx $4k
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:17 am

Hi there cacooned, you can check yourself at http://www.health.gov.au/internet/mbsonline/publishing.nsf/Content/Medicare-Benefits-Schedule-MBS-1
you enter the item number and the results show the scheduled fee, the 75% benefit and the 85% benefit. Medicare covers the 75% and your health fund covers the remaining 25% up to the scheduled fee. Anything over that is 'the gap' and that's what you'll have to pay out of pocket. Hope this helps,
Back to top Go down
cacooned
cacooned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:32 am

Thanks guys. I went and had a look (thanks for the link TL Helena, would've taken me ages to find that). You're all so helpful. Why won't they tell me?!! 618285
Back to top Go down
CheekyBugger
Part of the furniture
CheekyBugger

Male
Number of posts : 561
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptySun 21 Feb 2010, 11:25 am

Hi cacooned,

It is very weird that Medibank wont give you those details, however I do know that when i went to my surgeon I gave them my details (health fund) and they checked on my level of cover and prepared a quote for me, The most medibank could do for me was tell me that they did provide cover for the item under my level of cover.

I think you may be heading for disappointment if you keep trying medibank - bes try your hospital and doctor for the pricing you will need to pay.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyThu 25 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

Hi Cacooned

The way it works is that there is the recommended scheduled fee for the Item No of which Medicare will pay back around 75% and your PHI will cover the remaining 25%. Please bear in mind though that the schedule fee is likely to be $'000s less than what you are actually being charged by your surgeon for the procedure.

You can use the following web address to look up the Item No and it should give you the break down (I've found it useful now that I'm looking into the "reconstruction" of the body phase).

http://www9.health.gov.au/mbs/search.cfm?pdf=yes

Just type in the Item No and it will give you some information about it.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
cacooned
cacooned

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! EmptyFri 26 Feb 2010, 12:28 am

Thanks Gail :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why won't they tell me?!!   Why won't they tell me?!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Why won't they tell me?!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Private Health Insurance-
Jump to: