AuthorMessage
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 17 Feb 2010, 9:47 am

Any of you guys who come from Perth have the BEST fish at your door steps! WA dhu fish (I call it jew fish) is spectacular - once you've eaten it you'll find it hard to eat anything else. It's a really light flavoured fish (yes Apple, I know just what you meant!). Try some, it's delish!
Back to top Go down
Skinny-chick-wannabe
Skinny-chick-wannabe

Female
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 17 Feb 2010, 9:36 am

Thanks all

Just had a yummy feed of bassa and yes it wasn't fishy at all thanks for the advice I am trying to ignore where it might come from as there was a comment but it was so nice and all the kids scoffed it down and want it again

Thanks
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptySat 13 Feb 2010, 7:26 am

I'm not sure if you can eat this 3weeks out, but it's one of my favourites.

1 can salmon - lge onion - leggos chopped tomatoes - bechemel sauce (white sauce) - cheese

saute onions, add tomatoes and canned salmon + juice (bones optional) add to cooked pasta in oven dish cover with bechemel sauce and grated cheese cook in over 160 until cheese is brown. yummmmmmm
Back to top Go down
TGirl
TGirl

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-01-05

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyFri 12 Feb 2010, 11:40 pm

I'm with you Kyles and Apple, I hate fish that tastes like the sea at low tide.

Not that I have ever gone down to the ocean at low tide and tased it specifically but YKWIM!! That smell at the beach, on a hot day, when the water is way out and the flats are exposed (sand girls not .....). I love a nice peice of shark but I also equally love a pan seared 3 inch thick slamon steak mmmmmmmmm.

If a fish has a very strong after flavour I have found that the band just keeps reminding me of why I hate fishy fish.Yech!
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyFri 12 Feb 2010, 11:41 am

lol...apple I just try real hard not to think about it :)

prawns go well...did have some battered oysters in January but they just didnt taste the same as I remembered them...hmmmm
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyFri 12 Feb 2010, 10:02 am

The nicest fresh Australian fish shop I go to is the one in Morley..... It is behind ?rebel sports........yummy fresh fish.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyFri 12 Feb 2010, 8:43 am

Kyles I agree those basa fillets are the best but since I found out where they come from I just can not bring myself to eat them *LOL*

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Skinny-chick-wannabe
Skinny-chick-wannabe

Female

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyFri 12 Feb 2010, 8:25 am

Thanks all so much might head off to the fish shop tomorrow

Kyles and apple I hate fishie fish so I will start with your recommendations Thanks for all your feed back I had
prawns last night and they went down a treat anyone had a battered oyster early on as i know they are high in iron
which I need at the mo

Thanks again

3 and a bit weeks out
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 8:47 pm

I am such a nonk with fish...lol

I am fussy in a sense because I grew up on the mid north coast with fresh fresh fish...but like apple I cannot stand fishy fish (my hubby laughs at me and shakes his head when I eat fish and go nope its too fishy...he doesnt get it)

where i am weird is I love the basa fillets that come from filthy waters overseas...they are to die for and that is what I ate a lot of as soon as I hit the mushy stage...it went down really well :) sort of like chicken!!

If you can get your hands on some albacore that is very very nice...thats actually my favourite fish and I have heard it called chicken of the sea :)
Back to top Go down
family guy
family guy

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 3:32 pm

Hi
We eat alot of fish so I will give you some ideas.

Best fish to buy for taste - Red Emperor, Snapper, Barrimundi or Mangrove Jack
Some of our common recipes are:
1.Tuna patties - use tinned tuna can and mix with potato,egg and herbs and make into balls. Fry in a little olive oil - good on the BBQ or fry pan. Can also do with tinned salmon.
2. Curry Fish - cook a curry as normal, but add fish instead of chicken or beef - doesn't take as long, but takes fish taste out. Use white flesh fish.
3. Lemon Fish - Put fish in lemon juice for approx 2-3hrs and put into fridge, then fry in pan or BBQ - this will take fish taste away.
4. Fish Tom Yum - get tin of tom yum soup from asian section of woolies/coles and boil up. Add small amount of white flesh fish in 3cm/3cm peices. This is a nice taste - little bit of spice. Can also do with marinara seafood mix for a change.
5, Marinara mix pizza. The marina mix from deli has salmon/white flesh fish and other seafood. Can make pizza as normal, but put seafood on it. Just drain the mix prior and use flesh only. Comes out pretty good.
6. Flavour tuna tins - great snack for sleevers - come in several flavours that are not fishy - salsa, sundried tomato, curry, lemon pepper, mustard to name a few. Great with a green salad. Cheap option for fish intake.
7. Smoked salmon - have for breakfast with poached egg of grain bread and avocado great protein breakfast and good start to day. Can add holandase sauce if you wish, but I have found adding spicy salsa is healthier option and great taste.
7. Go to taste.com.au - they have lots of fish recipes.

Best of luck
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 12:32 pm

Lean cuisine have a range of only fish so there are a couple of selections there. They are in sauces so would be easy to go down.

My favourite is the florentine version. You can add your own veges.
B

acupuncture
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 12:30 pm

If you like shark you might be like me and NOT like your fish to actually be fishie if that makes sense. I would go somewhere that sells fish not just coles etc and ask them for a fish that is not very fishie trust me they have heard that before today hehehe. I said that rather than ask for a particular one because it really depends what is overely fishie in that catch. I would then put it on a bit of foil sprayed with non stick spray and squeeze a bit of lemon on it close it up like a lose sealed parcel and pop in the oven for about 10 minutes for a small filiet. If you want to spoil yourself stuid then swordfish steaks just seared in the pan are to die for. But be prepared to open your purse wide for them :)

If I am wrong and you are not into the shark because it isnt overely fishie then go with the salmon suggestions. Me I hate the stuff and I have had the best there is and even then I turned my nose up at it hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 12:18 pm

I did salmon fillets in the microwave the other night in the steam lock bags.......it only took 2 mins and presto...dinner...mmmmmm added cheese sauce and some veges..... absolutely delish.... 1 piece of salmon did me for 2 meals. I had the cheese sauce for moisture......
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 8:40 am

Atlantic salmon is yummy. I just spray the pan with spray oil, and fry on both sides until cooked.

Barramundi, this one I wrap in foil adding a little salt and pepper and lemon juice and bake in mod. oven for about 15 minutes, very moist.
Back to top Go down
Skinny-chick-wannabe
Skinny-chick-wannabe

Female

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! EmptyWed 10 Feb 2010, 8:16 am

Hi Everyone

I need some help with what Fish to buy thats nice and soft and How to cook it.

The only fish I would eat before the sleeve was the battered shark from the chippies

So please can I have some names of fresh fish or frozen brands etc

I am week 3 post op

Thanks so much

xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fish Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish Help Please!   Fish Help Please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Fish Help Please!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: