AuthorMessage
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 6:49 am

Hi all,

I've read on a banding site that travel insurance can become a problem post-op: not all travel insurers will cover bandits abroad.

Anyone know anything about the situation of sleevers with regard to travel insurance?

Dark.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 7:11 am

I don't see a problem with sleeves, as there is no ongoing care like the bands have.

I am off to NZ in 3 months, and don't expect any problems with my Health Fund.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Just in case...   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 7:19 am

Yeah. I'm planning to apply for discounted travel insurance through my health fund, who will know all about my surgery. If they get fussy I gather (but check) that AIG (American Insurance Group) is the company that will cover the band, subject to an extra payment of about $60 for a "pre-existing condition." I'll go to them if the sleeve becomes a problem. I've had (but never claimed on) insurance with them before. The policy provisions weren't generous...but they were adequate.

I also gather (but again check), that they won't necessarily cover you for the band for long trips in high cost destinations (eg the US). That presents a bit of a conundrum, because even if they will cover you in other destinations, I can't imagine the band or the sleeve being well understood by doctors in the low cost destinations (eg Cambodia) where I'm likely to travel.

Hmmmm. More research I guess.. wow
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 7:53 am

I went overseas in August, and I had no problems. I disclosed to my insurer that I had recently had stomach surgery, and even told them exactly what I had done (they could have checked it if they wanted as my travel insurance was taken out through my phi).

Even if they wouldnt cover a bandit - it would only be for band related problems, they would still actually be able to have insurance for other things. My dad has a heart condition, and has had open heart surgery, so when he travels he cant get cover on his heart, but if he fell and broke his leg then he would be covered for that.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Thanks Tamara and Janette...   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 11:07 am

...thanks for the voice of experience.

As soon as I've unpacked the suitcase from the hospital, I'll repack it and take off (well... not quite immediately)! We're thinking Damascus next time.

I'm just hoping the sleeve will be so low maintenance & trouble free that the issue of claiming will never arise (of course)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? EmptySat 16 Jan 2010, 9:55 pm

Don't forget to check with your surgeon, I was going to come home from hospital, and fly straight up to my big kids in Qld for Christmas, but my surgeon said no. I had to stay close by for 2 weeks post surgery, just in case anything went wrong.

And if flying so close to your surgery wear your TED stockings on the plane.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? EmptySun 17 Jan 2010, 2:56 am

Janette wrote:
Don't forget to check with your surgeon, I was going to come home from hospital, and fly straight up to my big kids in Qld for Christmas, but my surgeon said no. I had to stay close by for 2 weeks post surgery, just in case anything went wrong.

And if flying so close to your surgery wear your TED stockings on the plane.

Thanks Janette. In truth, nicking off immediately is a pipe dream to help me get though the working week. Reality more like op in February/March; rebuild bank acount; travel in December; rebuild bank account. But yes, I can imagine that the DVT (deep vein thrombosis) risk is greatly elevated immediately post-op, and I can't even imagine trying to manage a travel diet in the mushy stage. Thanks for looking out for me, though. kiss
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Travel insurance? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel insurance?   Travel insurance? Empty

Back to top Go down

Travel insurance?
Page 1 of 1