applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Sleeve vs Lap Band?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 10:19 am

I was told risk of death and serious complications. i do always say pick your surgeon with great care. ask his complication rate. if he wont tell you dont walk away run.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 10:04 am

Applesause that is the risk of death no risk of long term hospitalization.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 9:52 am

the risk for sleeve surgery over a band is a horrific and oh so scary 1% and no that is not a typo.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
leisa82
leisa82

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Too much maintenance   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 8:59 am

Hello everyone. I'm booked in for my sleeve op at the end of this month. I too initially went in to the doctor intending to get the band, but after much deliberation I have decided to go with the sleeve instead. Even though the band is a lower risk surgery, I think the benefits post-op/long term are far greater with the sleeve. I have spoken to a number of people who have had the band, and although they have all lost great amounts of weight, their diet is actually quite unhealthy because it is so much easier to "cheat" with the band. I also live 6 hours away from my surgeon, and considering the band only works if you keep getting regular fills, it was not really an realistic option for me. Yes it is kind of scary that the sleeve is irreversable and a higher risk, but when you take into account that there is no maintenance or years of follow up visits and adjustments, plus risks of slippage or errosion, then the sleeve is a far better procedure... in my opinion anyway :)
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 5:07 am

I understand where you are coming from when things go wrong with the sleeve surgery it's a lit nastier than things going wrong with band surgery and something we all have to weigh up before having the operation. Most folks surgeons don't want to scare them so gloss over the possible negatives but my surgeon was very upfront About when it does go wrong just how sick you can get and be prepared for a month in hospital if there is any leak in the staple line. After about 2 weeks your home free. Or so I thought. Until post surgery when my surgeon told me the symptoms I need to call him about if I ever have them in the future, which also require further surgery just like the band. Needing a dilation after 6 months or a year out and sometmes needing one yearly for some people is also common with the sleeve but nobody talks about that here either it seems people would rather slip into an unhealthily low weight than get a dilation when they clearly need one. Either everybody on this board is super lucky or people that had serious complications just don't come here. There are negatives and positives to both surgeries though I'd never touch a band again after my erosion experience. Though I found weight loss a lot easier with the band.

Good luck with your banding :)
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture
TexasBell

Female
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 4:23 am

Hi Babyd, I'm also a ex lapbander. I asked my dr why he didn't mention the sleeve 7 years ago when I had mine. He said the long term studies where not out (bugger). You mention you have seen the good and bad for sleeve & band, just wondering what the "bad" is for the sleeve (warts and all..lol)? Tx
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 10:52 am

Hi,

I got the band 7 years ago and I don't think the Sleeve was around as WLS back then. I didn't have any medical issues with the band (such as errosion, flipping ports etc) but I did learn to cheat the band pretty early on.
Back to top Go down
babyd

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 10:42 am

Hey Libby

Thanks for the post. I'm interested in knowing why you didn't go the sleeve first? And also why did you end up getting the sleeve? Did you have problems with the band or was it just not working as well as you expected?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 9:56 am

Hi babyd,

Im so happy that you have made a decision as to which WLS you want. I would probably be like you if I had to decide which surgery to choose between the band or sleeve as the sleeve can sound very drastic. (I had a band then the sleeve). I don't want to sway you one way or the other but just be aware that the band could stop you from having further WLS.

Goodluck with the band.
Back to top Go down
babyd

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Getting a band   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 5:11 am

Hi All
I am booked in to have a band on 31 May 10.
I've been researching Sleeve vs Lap Band?? 725676 and considering WLS for about 5 years now and over this time I've seen the good and bad for both the Sleeve & the Band through friends that have had these procedures.

I really think it depends upon what is right for you.

For me, I am fairly risk adverse so I wasn't prepared to have a non-reversable procedure at this point (I understand that the band is not meant to be reversed but it can). My gut feeling (pardon the pun) is that the band is the best option for me at this time. My GP who knows me quite well also agrees with this. This isn't to say that I wouldn't consider a sleeve later but for now it's the band for me.

Lovin this forum, it's so user friendly.

All the best to anyone who is considering WLS.

IMPORTANT - Make sure you get yourself educated about all your options and pick the one that is right for YOU.

wow
Back to top Go down
Sharon66
Part of the furniture
Sharon66

Female
Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2009-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyTue 29 Dec 2009, 9:45 am

Hi Jo,
It sounds to me that so far your band is doing a great job...
I wished I was the same,keep up the great work,and soon you will be one hot mama..

Sleeve vs Lap Band?? 369315

All the best
Sharon
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 8:12 pm

What is the best doc in NSW who does do sleeves?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 9:03 am

hey Sharon,
thanks for the info...gosh it sounds like you had a shocking time also. There seems to be a lot of ppl on here who have had a shocking time with the band.

It is scary not knowing what the future holds, I'm going to take one day at a time. If worse comes to worse and I have to have the band out i'm hoping that I can maintain my weight (have about 7kg to go) .

Theres about 4 ladies where I live that have bands and one with the sleeve, it will be interesting to see the outcome in say, 12mths time..

all the best on yr next journey kiss
Back to top Go down
Sharon66
Part of the furniture
Sharon66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 8:51 am

Hi Jo,
Where do I start,not being able to get food in..When I did I vomited...Never knowing what was going to make me sick..Pain in my left shoulder...Pain in my lower left hand side of my ribs(a bit like a stitch)...Reflux...
I had every test and it all looked ok...After 2 years I had to get it out,I'm a shift worker and I was not living...I thought I was getting a band instead I paid to become a bulimic average3x a day..When I saw my surgeon the next day he said we got it out just in time,he was not shaw what was going to happen,but that my stomach looked very angry.
Jo I'm so glad that it is working for you, great weight loss by the way Sleeve vs Lap Band?? 542174 ,but sorry to say with all the banders I know we have all had bad luck...My GP is happy that I'm getting the sleeve,he never wonted me to get the band,he never had good reports about the band.This time I am listening to him.I guess it all comes down to the luck of the draw,sorry for dribbling.
Cheers,
Sharon
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 28 Dec 2009, 4:23 am

Hi there, my name is Melissa, I am 5'2 (157cm) and I weigh about 78. It goes up and down like a yoyo, suppose it has alot to do with what I eat during the day and if I exercise lol. Through my whole life, ever since I prob started school, my whole family, mother and aunts use to weigh themselves the day after xmas or the first of January, set themselves a goal and stick to eating healthy until they reached their goal weight. It didn't really affect me until after I had a car accident and was traumatised in a coma for 4 months. After being hospitalised for 9 months and being released from the brain injury ward I started gaining weight way too quickly! I competed in swimming which was very good for my bones as I developed osteoporosis. I was advised that I had osteoporosis when I was 19! I competed in the Sydney 2000 Paralympics. And soon afterwards retired from my swimming. I am quiet positive that getting the sleeve would help me greatly! I have a tendency to overeat, especially when I eat things like chips, chocolate, ice cream, dairy (like custard) and I mainly drink the fizzy drinks now, like diet coke, sugar free drinks ect ect. I eat a very good diet, but I just have a hard time stopping at one or when it involves chocolate I just go for more and more!!! I understand that the doctor should know the best answer to this, but I am just wondering if there are any other people out there who were in the same situation as me and what did you do, and how has it been, has there been any problems ect.

Over all, I am not that heavy, but if my mother allowed me to eeat whatever I wanted to, I would be the size of a house. Besides, things hurt in my body. think I slightly fractured my ribs or I could have torn a cartlidge near my ribs a few weeks ago, found it oh so hard to breath. Think happen all the time when I eat too much!!!

Thanx so much for reading this
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptySun 27 Dec 2009, 12:35 am

Like a few of the other members have mentioned, I also initially went to see a surgeon about getting the band, however in that appointment he mentioned about the sleeve. I wont lie my initial reaction (internally), was something like "what you want to cut half my stomach out, Im not that bad, I dont need that".

However when I stopped and thought about it, I realised that the sleeve was the right option for me, like Lib I was an emotional eater and with the band it would have been too easy to cheat (although funnily enough since having the sleeve emotionally eating hasnt really been an issue anyway), added to the fact that I am a very fussy eater (I pretty much only eat chicken, rice and occasionally mince), and I know that with the band these foods can be a real problem.

Another deciding factor for me, was the fact that I am very sensitive to several things ( I cant wear certain metals/jewelery, I even cant spray prefume on my neck without having a reaction), so I am not sure how my body would have copped with having a huge bit of plastic on my stomach.

I love my sleeve, and I am glad that I went with this option, as I wonder how successful I would have been with the band - normally on a diet the novelty would have worn after a couple of months, and I would have started regaining weight. But with the sleeve this isnt an option as I can still eat whatever I want, just in much smaller amounts (so I dont find the need to binge on junk food), self sabotage is also not too much of an issue as you physically can not fit in enough food to do very much damage (in one sitting anyway, if you were to continue eating crap all day then it is very possible to start regaining weight).

Good luck with your decision.

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
The Lady Helena
Part of the furniture
The Lady Helena

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptySat 26 Dec 2009, 8:41 pm

Hi all, just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in, I had a band for about three years and to ditto what issi said it was like having surgically induced bulimia. You can read all about it in my intro post....but simply put...too tight from word go, vomiting every meal, horrendous reflux, hiatus hernia, vitamin deficiencies, hair loss, anaemia...I was sleeved 13 days ago and I can already tell you that the sleeve wins hands down!
The band is not for everyone, having said that my best friend's husband was banded two years ago and is going fantastically, no problems etc...When I had the band removed the surgeon offered to fit another, larger band and I just said take the bloody thing out and be done with it...I regained 30kgs within 10 months...and was then diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. To be fair one of the criteria for being suitable for WLS is that you don't have any major (untreated?) psychiatric problems...so at least now that the Bipolar is under control it makes it easier to make good decisions...perthJo, your weight loss is phenomenal, and when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter by what means we chose to do this, the main thing is that we are trying! Good luck to everyone who is chosing health and a better life for themselves! Sleeve vs Lap Band?? 446871
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptySat 26 Dec 2009, 2:30 pm

Hi Sharon,

Can I ask you what problems you had with your band?

I've read that a few people have gone from bands to sleeves.

I know of one lady on another forum who had her band for 5 yrs and now it waiting to be sleeved.

Its scary business when you think about it
Back to top Go down
Sharon66
Part of the furniture
Sharon66

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptySat 26 Dec 2009, 12:24 pm

Hello Mel,
Glad to here you are having the sleeve,forget about the band,nothing but problems.
I'm an ex-bander,besides all the throughing up,lack of food choices and the costs with getting fills and unfilled,the sleeve is the way to go.I'm getting sleeved in February and can't wait..Dont worry,comming from the other side I know we are making the right choice.

Sharon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 10:45 am

thanks Lib :-)

I didnt know much about the sleeve when I went to see my surgeon and he didnt mention the sleeve.

My friend had a band and recommended it to me. I didnt know anyone at the time who had wls..

In another time in another place i might of done things different :-)

Last edited by PerthJo on Sat 26 Dec 2009, 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 10:37 am

I am the same as you. I went to make an appt for a band.

My surgeon told me about the sleeve. He explained to me that as an emotional eater, a sleeve would be better for me as I physically couldn't eat more than 200mls of icecream or chocolate but with the band it would slide through and it wouldn't work for me.

I didn't want temporary measures. My friend who was banded before me said, you know its not reversable don't you? I was like....umm yeah I am not doing this to fail and get fat again. I am so greatful he told me about the sleeve. My life has turned upside down in 8 months. I feel better, I look better and I eat better.

My recovery wasn't ideal or textbook, but I wouldn't go back and change a thing.

Good luck with your decision.

Just in regards to Jo, she obviously wants this to suceed, she is the most motivated and the weight loss is the most I have heard of a bander in 12 months. Well done Jo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 8:32 am

Hi Mel,
I have the band, I was banded 27th March 09.

I lost 24kg in the first 5mths and a total of 30kg since January this year.

I am lucky in the fact that I can eat anything as long as I chew correctly. I eat more than a cup full but alot less than I use to eat.

yes, it can be a pain having to go get fills etc and phelming or blockages are not the nicest of experiences (thats when you have eaten too quick and you can swallow properly and the salvia etc ends up coming up or you get something blocked. I have had that a number of occassions, especially if I eat too quick and had to drink a can of coke to release the block.

I have read/heard alot of other peoples experiences with the band I'm hoping/praying that I won't have any problems, I am keeping a close eye on my health and will have it removed with no hesitating if things start to change.

I know a few people who have bands, sleeves & other WL surgeries (sorry Jen I can never remember what yours is called) and the sleeve does sound like less maintance and once its done its done and no running back for fills/unfills. LOL.

all the best with your decision xxx
Back to top Go down
twoangels72
twoangels72

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 8:17 am

Hi Libby, applesauce and Issi,

Thanks so much! Your stories really make a huge difference and certainly help with the decision making process. I know I really prefer the sleeve. I guess the time between now and the surgery just means more time to think and worry.

Thanks again. I really appreciate hearing what you went through.... the more I read the more I know the band isn't for me.

Mel.
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 5:32 am

I had the band for 6 years and had no problems at all (except for not losing much weight) but the big downfall for me was the fact that you could control the fill. It is very hard to eat healthy food with the band. Its so much easier to eat the bad stuff such as chocolate and chips and easy to cheat it.
I love that the sleeve is permanant.
I think all surgeons get 'Kick Backs' from companies. Probably even the pharmacutical companies from the anti reflux medicine that our doctors prescribe to us so I wouldn't use that as a reason to make your decision against.
Good luck with your decision making.
Sleeve vs Lap Band?? 217555
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 5:14 am

When the band works it works well. but there is a big but, no matter how well your band is done, even by the BEST surgeon out there, and your band is done perfectly you can still have problems a month a year 5 years down the track. Also the band doesn't work for everybody. There are those that can never get the right restriction without reflux that is not controlled by medications which you can not live with long term. One in 4 to 5 bandits need follow up surgery at least once some many times more to fix slips erosion etc. this doesn't count the fact that like all things plastic it has to be replaced on a regular basis. The current thinking is 10-15 years. But nobody is 100% sure. Not all but quiet a few bandits have to follow diets that can be restrictive along with rituals on chewing and when they can eat. You also must remember that bit of plastic going into your body is a HUGE profit making think and thus promoted like crazy to make money. Along with the fact that any half competent hack can be taught to put one in with ALL the cost of training etc provided BY the manufactures of the lapband itself. Where sleeve surgeons need to be dedicated enough in their profession to go out and explore new options out of their own pocket and get their training that way. Even if I was going to have a band I KNOW I would choose a surgeon who can do sleeves as well and get a far more balanced view as band only surgeons tend to bag the sleeve.

the difference with the sleeve is IF you have a good surgeon and it all goes well it is pretty much unheard of to ever have a problem after that. sure pick a bad surgeon or have something go wrong during surgery that results in a leak and that is very serious stuff. But getting past the first few weeks with no problems pretty much means you are set for life. The volume of food you can eat is very restricted in the first few months but works its way up to about 250ml and once you can do that life is just fantastic and normal, with no food restrictions once your stomach has fully healed. I am not kidding when I say that a LOT of people find that first few months very frustrating and limiting in what they can eat but eventually you do get over it and life does become amazing :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve vs Lap Band??   Sleeve vs Lap Band?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeve vs Lap Band??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next