4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dotty1972

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-11-20

going it alone Empty
PostSubject: going it alone   going it alone EmptyWed 21 Dec 2016, 7:41 am

I am practically going my recovery alone as my husband has been at work the entire time and I've had to pretty much fend for myself.  I requested specifically when he dropped me off for the op that he just do that - drop me off, not come in and wait with me - I couldn't see the point really.  He came to visit every night on his way home from work and that was great, but for the rest of the time I was in the hospital by myself.

I have been home three days and it's been absolutely fine.  I even went for a walk to the shops yesterday as a dressing came off and I was too worried about possible infection setting in to let it be until he got home from work and could take me to a pharmacy.  I just took my time and plodded along and I was fine. It's a 750m round trip so I am quite impressed with my efforts.

I have had very little side effects, the nausea was much worse when I was first home but has settled down to almost zero since.  This op is the best thing I could have ever done for myself.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

going it alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: going it alone   going it alone EmptyMon 19 Dec 2016, 1:22 pm

I would also agree, if you have no complications and you pre-prepare stuff you will be fine.  Make and freeze a few broths.  Buy protein shakes, some runny yogurt whatever your surgeon and dietician recomend for the first few weeks.  Just so you dont have to go out of you dont want to...
But I was walking around and bored enought to go shopping within a week.  I think I mowed the lawn the second week... dont you love boredom! hehe
Back to top Go down
Gollie

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2015-03-10

going it alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: going it alone   going it alone EmptySat 17 Dec 2016, 11:54 am

Hi ORgirl! I was in your situation. I didn't have anyone at home who could look after me after getting the sleeve. The only thing I needed to have was someone to pick me up from the hospital. My recovery was pretty straightforward and I didn't have any complications. I only took a week off work and spent most of it on the couch watching tv. I made sure to stock up on supplies before I went to the hospital, so I didn't have to worry about it when I was recovering. This meant pre-making jello, and having soup in the fridge. All I had to do was pretty much reheat food, or make up a shake.

I think it's totally doable, so don't let it put you off from getting a sleeve done. It's been the best decision of my life. I had mine done in April, and I'm finally 8kg away from the top end of my healthy weight range, and 10kgs away from being able to say I'm literally half the person I used to be.
Back to top Go down
ORgirl

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-12-16

going it alone Empty
PostSubject: going it alone   going it alone EmptyFri 16 Dec 2016, 11:16 pm

I am thinking about having the sleeve, but i am all alone no support. I was wondering how bad the recovery is? Do you really need someone there to help you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

going it alone Empty
PostSubject: Re: going it alone   going it alone Empty

Back to top Go down

going it alone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: