Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long between first consult and surgery?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

How long between first consult and surgery? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyTue 26 Apr 2016, 6:57 am

Hi Scared!

Time between consult and surgery varies from surgeon to surgeon (of course!) but for me it was 6 weeks. Good luck making your decision. I understand how hard it is. I thought about it for two years before finally taking the plunge!

I'm ten weeks out, have lost 20Kg and feel fantastic! I can still eat out (which was something I was worried about) and am now eating a wide range of foods. (I list what I'm eating each week in my diary if you are curious!) I've also got loads of energy and am feeling positive about my future.

Obviously that's only my story and others will have a different one to tell. I'd urge you to research the procedure well. Read through a few of the diaries here to see the path others have travelled.

Remember we're here to help and support you so feel free to ask any questions you may have :)
Back to top Go down
Scaredbutgettingcommitted

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 2:53 pm

Thanks guys!! That's great to know that it is a pretty quick process as long as the dates are available. I am a bit like you Mark - I have been swinging wildly between yes and no...unfortunately my deliberations have all been squeezed into a month How long between first consult and surgery? 878453 my poor poor partner!! It's been a crazy time! I think I am at the point now that once I get in there and the date is available I just want it booked and done. Too much time and I start to double and triple doubt myself :( 

Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
wabster

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-17

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 12:26 pm

Yes, my oversight, I also had my first of a number of consultations with a dietitian/nutritionist. It was the only one scheduled pre-op, and there are 3 further consultations post operatively. I have access to quite a comprehensive library of information from her company, and can email questions any time.

Cheerz Mark.
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno
Ezzareno

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm

Also, other appointments:
My surgeon makes you see a dietitian and therapists before surgery (in addition to several dietitian appointments after).
Back to top Go down
wabster

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-17

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm

I'm not sure whether the PHI aspect has a bearing on what time gaps are involved, as I'm a self funded sleever about the have the op on May 3rd 16.

My first meeting with the doctor was April 13th 16, op date May 3rd 16, so 1 day under 3 weeks :-)

But I've been yoyo'ing for about 6 years over getting it done. Once I got into the doctor's office and he had the date available, I jumped at it to make a firm commitment. Had it been put out to July I'd have wavered.

Time factors were mainly around length of time I need to be on Optifast to get the girth down to make laparoscopic surgery possible/easier, in my case 2 weeks will do. Also needed to get CT scan and blood tests done.

So 2 weeks down, 1 week to go to op day. I can't wait, I so need this done.

Cheerz Mark.
Back to top Go down
Ezzareno
Ezzareno

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyMon 25 Apr 2016, 10:36 am

For me it was about 3 months. But that was because it was the first date available for the surgeon.
Back to top Go down

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? EmptyFri 15 Apr 2016, 6:42 am

Hi everyone

I was just wondering what time frame everyone experienced from first appt with the surgeon to date of surgery when going with PHI? 

I guess a lot would depend on how many surgeons there are operating in your area but I am just trying to get an idea to know roughly what to expect. Also what other appts are required pre-surgery after the first consult with the surgeon? I am in Perth, if that helps or makes a difference?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long between first consult and surgery?   How long between first consult and surgery? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long between first consult and surgery?
Page 1 of 1