AuthorMessage
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

Baggy skin and exercise question  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggy skin and exercise question    Baggy skin and exercise question  EmptyThu 31 Mar 2016, 3:57 am

I exercised from 1mth post op and I do mean exercised like a crazy woman as I hoped it would mean less sloppy skin yes muscle does fill the excess better then without but it still doesn't mean that it will stop puckering etc.  I mostly agree that it is a age factor the more collagen and elastin you still have in the body the better but the genes have a even greater effect then that so take a good look at Mum.

As for exercising making weight loss faster I wouldn't necessarily agree with that I lost really so much slower then my peers who were done at a similar time they didn't exercise and I lost a couple of my last kilos after I stopped exercise 18mths post.  I think slow and steady is the way forward for those who have never done it start just walking for however long you are comfortable and go on from there remember if you have never exercised it can damage your knees etc if you go to fast.  See if there is a local gym with a free or low cost months trial just so someone can supervise your movement until you know what you are doing.

Look at your local TAFE to see if they have a gym this is where I went (Loftus Sydney)the trainers are all qualified ex students and my one also had supervised student private trainer for free every so often.  The biggest problem for me the hours were limited but i still got a lot of help. It was only about $150 for 6mths.

I think movement is a key factor for good overall health stop moving and slowly cease up and die.  I BTW was 57 when I had the op around 110kg and had never ever exercised in my life I am about to turn 60 skin is very puckering like a 80 yrs old at times but no excess skin except stomach overhang from cesarean 30yrs ago and small batwings but more from age then weightloss so maybe weights light ones a good thing for that.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture
Fat-to-Fit

Female
Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Baggy skin and exercise question    Baggy skin and exercise question  EmptyWed 30 Mar 2016, 11:21 am

I've always exercised, whether I was fat , thin, heading up or down, and I really think this has helped me with having pretty much no excess skin. I've lost 26kg in about 4 months - so nowhere near aa, but relatively quickly.

I enjoy exercise, it's 'me/my own headspace/thinking  time' for me. Why don't you just start slowly , maybe just a little every day, or 5 days a week - it doesn't have to be for half the day,  or super intense - and I bet you will start to enjoy it more & more. It's never too late to start, and I imagine it will help with tightening your skin, and just making you feel better !! All the best :-)
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Baggy skin and exercise question    Baggy skin and exercise question  EmptyTue 29 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

Hi

Exercise helps lose the weight quicker and weights can help build muscle which might make the skin seem firmer as it is stretched over muscle rather than fat, but how saggy your skin will become has a lot of different factors, such as age and elasticity.

I have a LOT of saggy skin as I have lost over 70kg but I look at it this way, the fat would have killed me, the excess skin won't.

I do hope to have some cosmetic surgery to remove the excess skin when I think I have reached a comfortable weight for me and manage to maintain it for some months. I am not sure anything else really works.

Congrats on your weight loss to date.
Back to top Go down
Ineedasleeve
Ineedasleeve

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Baggy skin and exercise question    Baggy skin and exercise question  EmptyTue 29 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm

Is anyone doing exercise? my after op care included a visit with an exercise physiologist and she made me a great work out I could do at home, but I am ashamed to admit that I haven't done any of it. I hate exercise and still can't find the motivation to do it. Does training help with baggy skin? I know cardio doesn't but what about weights etc ?

Saggy skin :( Anyone else getting it. I was told if you lose weight slowly you won't get as much. I'm losing weight slowly ( well I thought I was) but still getting some baggy skin. I know there is nothing I can do to help it or is there ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baggy skin and exercise question    Baggy skin and exercise question  Empty

Back to top Go down

Baggy skin and exercise question
Page 1 of 1