26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TvAddict

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-05

Lap Band Removal Experience Empty
PostSubject: Surgeon   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 05 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

jen-e I was just wondering who the surgeon was that removed your band?
Back to top Go down
Charlie1
Charlie1

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 7:03 am

Thanks
My original surgeon is Dr Brancatisano my new Surgeon is Dr Craig Taylor in Sydney.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 3:49 am

Good for you indeed - who is your doctor Charlie1
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 2:58 am

Good for you Charlie.
I cant wait for my sleeve op to be over & done with. I'm so looking forward to eating a small healthy diet as opposed to an unhealthy one with the band.
Good luck with having your band removed & getting the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Charlie1
Charlie1

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyMon 03 May 2010, 12:57 am

Hi Everyone,
I too have been reading this forum for a few weeks and have decided to join in.
I was banded in 2006, I thought I had enough information to see me finally suceed in shedding my weight, but I was wrong. After losing an initial 10kg (mainly due to being on Optifast, preop and liquids post-op), I have about 6 band fill as I never felt full, when I reached about 8mls in a 10 ml band I would eat, then food would get stuck and I would vomit. So I had fill removed and I would go back to being hungry again. It seems it is a vicious cycle. I am lucky in that I have had no slippage, erosion, reflux or pain of any sort. I just can't seem to lose weight in fact I am actually now 10kg HEAVIER than I was when I was banded!!

After quietly suffering for the past 2 years feeling like a failure I was too embarressed to go back to my surgeon as I know I would be in for a lecture. After reading this forum, I found out about the sleeve surgery and finally plucked up the courage to go back to my surgeon and ask him about doing it. Well low and behold he lectured me telling me how and what to eat (like I already don't know), he sent me for a barium swallow and tried to sell me a new range of food for bandits called fulfill. Well I didn't have surgery to start buying pre packaged foods.

I now have an appointment with another surgeon to get a second opinion, after making the initial enquiry I found out he can remove the band (bulk-billed), and does the sleeve 8 weeks later.

I just want to eat good food and feel satisfied and lose some weight - something I thought the band would help me do!!

There, I finally said it, I don't talk to my family about these issues as none of them are over weight and they just don't get it. But I know you guys do.
Thanks for telling your stories and listening to mine.

Charlie1
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 02 May 2010, 6:19 pm

Emma wrote:
let us know how much they want to charge to remove the lapband?

Hi, I had my band out several months ago. The Dr bulk billed. All I had to pay was $400 for the anaesthetic. I do have to pay for the sleeve though.

Some people haven't had to pay for their sleeve as the same Dr who did their band also removed it & did their sleeve. Unfortunately the Dr who did my band only does bands.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 02 May 2010, 1:45 pm

Hi Emma

Life after band and then sleeved is definitely a lot different for all the right reasons. Now have healthy eating patterns and no more PBing etc. Can now eat fruit, lettuce, steak all without problems just in small quantities.

I must have been one of the lucky ones with regards to charging though. My Dr did my band removal as no gaps (probably because it was an emergency case) but also did my sleeve as a no gaps case as well, as did the anaesthetist.

All the best with getting your conversion.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture
TexasBell

Female
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 02 May 2010, 1:13 pm

Hi Emma, if you go to search and look up lap band you will see you are definately not alone! I'm only seven weeks out and the best way for me to describe the sleeve is it is all I hoped the band would be. I was only just thinking today that when I was out at a party this afternoon that I really enjoyed eating from the fruit platter whereas when I had the band it would have been the cheese plater (soft food again), I was also so satisfied and didn't even want any other party food. This is so different than band life as I never had that "full" feeling, just pain, vomit and slime. The band was a waste of time, money, bad for self esteem and health. Getting the band out and being sleeved was the right choice for me. Hope this helps, good luck with your decision Lap Band Removal Experience 65317 oh and by the way my surgeon removed the band no gap but was charged for sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Emma

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 02 May 2010, 8:36 am

Hi
I too am seriously considering removing the lapband. I have NOT, Yes I repeat NOT lost any weight, in-fact Ive actually put on more weight and feel so sick and tired compared to when I had it put in 3 years ago.
I can't eat, can't sleep due to acid reflux, I wake up in the middle of the night with a mouth full of spew and am always constipated.
I just want to eat an apple or a piece of lettuce without having to sit with a table full of guest listening to me burp or gag! Every meal is a pain in the gut.
These are the truths that I didn't want to hear when I went to get the lapband put in thinking I would be different, one of the beautiful skinny people. GOD-DAMN what a waste of money this has been.
All I can eat is soup - WITH NO VEGGIES in it or icecream, chocolate or milkshakes. Lap Band Removal Experience 135961
band2007 when you get back from your appointment can you let us know how much they want to charge to remove the lapband?
Back to top Go down
band2007
band2007

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyThu 21 Jan 2010, 1:04 am

Hi and thanks for reply. Have appointment with surgeon today and have all the questions to ask written down. Will post the answers here for others benefit. I have benefitted so much from finding this site. Without the confidence of knowing other's stories are so similar to mine, I would have continued to keep quiet and think I was just not trying hard enough instead of questioning whether the lap band was such a good thing.

Next big question is sleeve or bypass. Have been told that sometimes the sleeve will not work if stomach has been damaged by band. Any stories here on that? Or recommendations for surgeons that do bypass?
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyWed 20 Jan 2010, 7:01 am

Hi Band2007,

I've never heard of anyone that has had the band removed and still has the port and tubes left inside. I couldn't see that being a good thing.

I actually had a reaction to one of the waterproof patches they put over the drainage site. The nurse told me if i'm ever in hospital again just to tell them i'm allergic and they will use something different. I don't remember what she said tho, sorry.

I have really bad keloid scarring as well. I have 3 lots of scars. 1 - from the lapband, 2 from the lapband removal, 3 - from the sleeve. My doctor tried to use the same scars if he could but wasn't successful. Apparently BioOil is good. I did buy some but got slack and only used it a few times.

Lap Band Removal Experience 217555
Back to top Go down
band2007
band2007

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-19

PostSubject: band removal - did you get port and tubing removed too?   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyWed 20 Jan 2010, 5:51 am

Hi everyone,
I am new to site and had a gutful of this band. Seeing doctor tomorrow to have it removed and move forward to sleeve or bypass whichever is the best option considering the damage this band has probably done to my stomach.

Question is - do they remove the port and tubing as well as the band? And is this a further complication. I seem to remember my doctor saying he just removes the band and leave the tubing and port in as it doesnt cause any problems. But I want it all out! As I sit here now I can feel the port. Any ideas on why surgeons do or dont remove the port?

Another question - I have a reaction to the tape they use in surgery, even to the bandaids - anyone else have this and have a solution? Apart from the risks of surgery, I am worried about the blisters from the tapes they use getting infected. It only takes 10 mins and I have blisters. Have full blisters from the bandaid that the doctor put over the port site yesterday and I removed the bandaid within 10mins. He doesnt seem to care too much but it does worry me.

While I am here - another question! Scarring - I have disgusting scars from the banding 3 yrs ago and gallbladder removal this year. I am dreading adding to those with first the removal of the band and then the sleeve or bypass op. Anyone have any products or tips on minimising ketoid scarring. Once again, my surgeon is oblivious to this issue and it may be trivial but why suffer when it is not necessary.

cheers,
Back to top Go down
ladyfortythree

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyWed 21 Oct 2009, 1:47 pm

I have a niece in merriden who was banded around two or three years ago, after a few hiccups with it she is now fifty kilo lighter and looks great. Her mother (my sister) was banded yesterday in Cairns and hopefully will do just as well. Im still on the public waiting list but almost at the top now. Im unsure what my options will be and will find out when I get my first appointment, hopefully soon.

charma wrote:
Hi Everyone, I thought i would put my experience up too!

I was banded back in 2006 by my current surgeon. He gave me heaps of info and at the time I thought it was my best option (he did give me the option of the sleeve back then)... i had the op and everything was going well for a year. i had lost probably 18kgs in that time, which i was happy with cause i didnt want the wait to fall off in six months. i wanted to learn to eat healthy and exercise (which is after all, my problem to begin with)... We found the problems started occuring when i just could get any more weight off, I ended up with incredibly bad reflux (couldnt lie down at all) etc, so I ended up having the bad out in October 2008 (2.5 years later). I had lost 18kgs. Since then I discussed options with my doctor and he said to think about it (the sleeve) and he said "look if it takes you a year to make up your mind on it that is fine, just come and see me if you have any questions". So I went back to him probably 3 times in the last 12 months with questions and made up my mind a year to the day of my band removal to have the sleeve operation. It was like a weight had lifted of my shoulders... I am officially heavier than when i had my band put in, but am now on the optifast and have already lost 2.5kgs. In two and a bit weeks im going in for my sleeve.

My sister had the band done by the same doctor about 3 months after me and has had absolutely no trouble at all. She is at her goal weight, been able to maintain it and looks gorgeous. So it does work for some people, just not me (likewise my other friend has a band and its worked for her too)... so yep i did feel that i was a one in a million that the band didnt work for, until i found this website and realised im not a wierdo! LOL... So anyway that is my experience with the band! Now the count down is on till Im sleeved LOL!!! so over all i will have gone 13 months between banding and my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
charma
charma

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyWed 21 Oct 2009, 3:09 am

Hi Everyone, I thought i would put my experience up too!

I was banded back in 2006 by my current surgeon. He gave me heaps of info and at the time I thought it was my best option (he did give me the option of the sleeve back then)... i had the op and everything was going well for a year. i had lost probably 18kgs in that time, which i was happy with cause i didnt want the wait to fall off in six months. i wanted to learn to eat healthy and exercise (which is after all, my problem to begin with)... We found the problems started occuring when i just could get any more weight off, I ended up with incredibly bad reflux (couldnt lie down at all) etc, so I ended up having the bad out in October 2008 (2.5 years later). I had lost 18kgs. Since then I discussed options with my doctor and he said to think about it (the sleeve) and he said "look if it takes you a year to make up your mind on it that is fine, just come and see me if you have any questions". So I went back to him probably 3 times in the last 12 months with questions and made up my mind a year to the day of my band removal to have the sleeve operation. It was like a weight had lifted of my shoulders... I am officially heavier than when i had my band put in, but am now on the optifast and have already lost 2.5kgs. In two and a bit weeks im going in for my sleeve.

My sister had the band done by the same doctor about 3 months after me and has had absolutely no trouble at all. She is at her goal weight, been able to maintain it and looks gorgeous. So it does work for some people, just not me (likewise my other friend has a band and its worked for her too)... so yep i did feel that i was a one in a million that the band didnt work for, until i found this website and realised im not a wierdo! LOL... So anyway that is my experience with the band! Now the count down is on till Im sleeved LOL!!! so over all i will have gone 13 months between banding and my sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 1:30 pm

Hello Tubbie38 and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your decision to be sleeved. I haven't been sleeved yet, and as a matter of fact, I haven't even seen the surgeon yet. Lap Band Removal Experience 81722

My first appointment is this Friday and I can't wait.

So I have been reading and reading and reading some more, trying to get all the info I possibly can. This forum is excellent! Loving it here.

Lap Band Removal Experience 217555
Back to top Go down
mumto3kiddies

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 12:01 pm

Yep, you are so welcome and of course you can be on here without having being sleeved yet. Most or all of us started out this way and for me this site what i needed to go ahead with having my band out and going the sleeve.

There is so much support and info on here.

So hear you on all hiding away front.

I am turning 38 next month and also have 3 kids..In the past 4 weeks since my op I can start to see the little things that would keep me at home starting to change.

I have been out walking with my kids every day for the past week and am so enjoying it - something so simple but has held me back for years and years so can't wait for it to all improve one step at at time.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

welcome Tubbie38.... You are definitely welcome on the site and congratulation for deciding to have the sleeve done!
there is plenty of information on this site to read through and we are here if you have any questions.... i have not had the sleeve done yet but there are plenty of people on here who have..
all the best and take care!
Back to top Go down
not as tubbie39
not as tubbie39

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Im so glad I found this site   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 11:43 am

Hi everyone,
I'm so grateful to all of you, who have shared their experiences.I am 38 and 123kg.s and a mother of 3. I have been on the waiting list for a lap band for 5 years, and I have finally entered stage 2 of the list, I have met with dieticians, and doctors,etc. I was overwhelmed when the doctor offered the sleeve to me as a choice. I had told him I would think about whether I wanted lap band, or the sleeve and have set out to see how others have gone.
I have to go to the Lighten Up Program, run through our hospital, I start that next week for 10weeks, so I imagine I wont be done until after Christmas. I found the Royal Brisbane hospital staff excellent.
But I have to say 'wow', I am shocked to see how many people dont have success with the band. I guess i thought it was a magic cure. I now know better. I think after reading these pages, I have made the decision to go through with the sleeve.
I'm hoping its ok that i have joined this site, as I havent been done yet, but am now starting to look at changing my eating habits in preparation. Apparently thats a major advantage before the surgery for future success.
But anyway, THANK-YOU EVERYONE. Being overweight would have to be the loneliest lifestyle of them all I think. I dont have friends, and dont go out that often,Ifeel ashamed of what I have become. I'm also aiming to change that thought process too. Good luck to you all, and I will keep checking on peo;e here, and you can certainly guarantee that you will be seeing me on here again, hopefully not too far into the future.
Take care everyone.
Kim
P.S Once seen a good book on tv, think the title is an excellent quote and I would share it with you all....."Good friends bring salad." Maybe a book worth reading...have to checkit out one day. bath
Back to top Go down
mumto3kiddies

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 11:44 am

Hi,

My lapband removal was great actually. I was done at about 8.30am and woke in recovery at around 10.30am. I was then home the same day at 5.30pm...

I kept the meds up every 4 hours for the next 3 days, but had no problems what so ever.

My body actually felt great not having the band in any longer after 15months..

I had my sleeve then done by a different surgery 8weeks 3days after the band was removed. My original surgeon would not do it any less than the 12 weeks and then he was away so it was around 13 or 14 weeks later.

I wanted it sooner also to tie in with school run as I have no family where we live and it would have been impossible to have it during school term.

My new surgeon was fantastic and it was previously set for the 9weeks 3 days but it was brought forward a week.

I found my healing in the liquid stage took a week or so longer, but I am 4 weeks tomorrow post op and this week I have been on "normal" food and havn't had any problems.

Actually yesterday I had one small slice of wood fire home made pizza. I didn't vomit, or it was sitting in my stomach not going anywhere - all was digested and felt great.

I am lower than I was what I had with the band. I lost 4kgs with the band over 15 months. I put on 5kgs in the first 4weeks felt totally out of control, but the month prior to my sleeve I started doing shakes a few days here and there and lost a couple of kilo's.

Then what would have been 2 weeks out (ended up being the 1 week since the op was brought forward) I had lost 3kgs and then was back down to the same weight I had the band out at - so anything down from there was a bonus.

In my opinion now having both - I know I had a bad band experience with it leaking and the port flipping over, and I know there are heaps of people who are successful with it, but it makes me sad to think I wasn't one and so wish I didn't have to go through the whole band to get where I am now, but I guess I am savouring every kilo that comes off..

One thing also, the band does require "upkeep" and can slip etc at any time and i would be worried even if you can get it done under public if it does slip will you be looked after if you need to have it removed/replaced at any stage.. and what happens if the port flips, etc will that then be covered under the public again...I would be asking these questions cause where as the sleeve is basically a one surgery process unless complications etc, but the band over a lifetime will require further ops and are you prepared for this...

I so would be getting your private health and waiting the time, cause my out of pocket from private health & surgeons fees I paid $4,0000 for my band, $1,000 to have it removed even though it leaked the port flipped and then now another $3,500 for the sleeve..

Sorry to be upfront, gosh if what I know now there is no way I would have had the band - none what so ever...

Nicole xx
Back to top Go down
ladyfortythree

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 10:25 am

geez reading these posts really has put me off the band. Im on the public list for one but thinking of getting private cover and going with the sleeve. Surely there are not that many problems with n=banding? I have two sisters due any time to be banded, I don't think I will tell them to read this :-) I would still consider the band if it came up before I qualify for private
Back to top Go down
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyMon 05 Oct 2009, 1:55 am

Hi everyone, I had my band removed almost 2 weeks ago and I go and see my surgeon, Dr Alan Thomas, for my post op appointment next Monday 12th October. I seem to recover and heal very quickly after operations so I'm going to ask my surgeon if he will do my sleeve operation sooner than the usual 12 weeks waiting period. I'd like to have it done around 20th November which will be 2 months after my band removal. I want to be sleeved before Christmas because I know what I'm like and having no restriction over Christmas would mean another 5kgs put on.

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has gone from band to sleeve where their surgeon has done the sleeve op less than 12 weeks after the band removal? Thanks

Marion
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyFri 02 Oct 2009, 12:07 pm

Good Luck Hello Skinny,

You get back on here as soon as you can to let us know how you went.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
HelloSkinny
HelloSkinny

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Times flies !!   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyWed 30 Sep 2009, 5:50 pm

Hello everyone !!!

I have been overwhelmed busy with work, school, perhaps moving out soon etc... So many things going on.
So to go back a little, the lap band have been removed in June and I will have the Gastric Sleeve Tomorrow !!!!
You read well !!! tomorrow and I didn't had a second to even worry about it or taking more info !!!

I didn't had any issues with the lap band removal outside from gaining about 10-12 pounds (5kg) in 3 months and a strong feeling of hungry all the time.... let say it was a good reminder as of why I did the lap band at the first place.

I'll keep you posted !
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

Issi, I really through myself into my exercise (train 3 times a week with a group personal trainer) and really watched what I ate. That's not to say that I didn't have my moments when I ended up at the Golden Arches!!!

Just remain focused on the end result and you too can do it.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 1:40 pm

Maybe it's the reason your band is coming out that accounts for how much time you have to wait... mine came out last week from erosion and they are making me wait at least 3 months before sleeving. I am so scared of gaining weight in the interim. I already gained so much weight before removal when the erosion happened.

It's good to see reports of people not gaining much weight between removal and sleeving.... i hope i am as lucky / conscientious with my hunger/eating the next few months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lap Band Removal Experience   Lap Band Removal Experience Empty

Back to top Go down

Lap Band Removal Experience
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: