Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? EmptySun 10 Jan 2016, 10:55 am

For me it was about 4 months from my initial appointment at the clinic until the surgery date. I had to have blood tests, psycologist appointment, dietician appointment and sleep apnia study, as well as see the surgeon just before the operation.

Check with the clinic/surgeon your interested in seeing and they will be able tell you when to come in for your first appointment.  I'm sure its different for all of them.

Personally I think your better off waiting until your PHI kicks in.  I know the feeling of wanting to do it ASAP, but the risks are high, at least with PHI if you end up staying in hospital for an extra week or whatever, your covered.  The extra time gives you a chance to get yourself ready.
Back to top Go down
Peapodprincess98

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2015-11-22

PostSubject: Re: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? EmptyFri 08 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm

Mine all fell into place really quickly. I always had Private Health because I came here from the US and it was a requirement of my visa to have a really high level of private health. Around mid Sept 2015 my GP suggested I look into surgery because I had a lifelong struggle with weight and had other issues like fibromyalgia, arthritis, an ankle that has been fractured 2x, osteoarthritis in a knee etc that were making it worse and harder to lose. I talked it over with 1 close friend and went to the info session. I scheduled the initial surgeon and dietitian visit for a date in October when I knew I could take a day off work to do it. I made the decision there in his office to proceed and set a date then for 6 weeks out. (he seemed surprised as most people spend years thinking about it and talk to lots of family and friends about it and I had not done any of that).  

I came home, called insurance, etc and got my ducks in a row - financially, psychologist, food, research, books etc

I started Optifast that weekend and had my surgery in Dec. Very happy I did. It has only been 4 weeks but I am already walking better and with less pain. If 15kg can make such a difference I am so looking forward to the rest of this journey.
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? EmptyFri 08 Jan 2016, 9:43 am

I had one visit in february, and then another less than a week before surgery in the July.  
The february was a long one, lots of explaining.  I signed consent forms, got all the financial info etc happening.  The July was just a check really,  final details etc.  I think even if I'd been done in March, there still would have been a second visit.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? EmptyFri 08 Jan 2016, 9:12 am

FML I had the first appointment with the colleague of my surgeon on 21 Feb and had the surgery 17 September, so depending on your chosen surgeon you may end up waiting almost the time of your PHI period anyway, although from memory I could have had my surgery a bit earlier but then the surgeon was not going to be around for a period so I chose to wait until he was back so if anything went wrong he would be around to deal with it.

In the waiting period I saw the dietician and the psychologist etc and did 4 weeks Opti
Back to top Go down
For my life

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? EmptyThu 07 Jan 2016, 11:34 pm

Hi all,
Wondering about how soon to see surgeon to discuss VSG, my PHI kicks in mid September and I would like to have surgery the day after! Am also considering going the early super release instead cause I just want to get on with it.

How many visits to surgeon pre-surgery do people tend to have? Thinking if I go too soon in the name of research, I will need to go again closer.

Thoughts appreciated,

Many thanks,

Fml Cat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?   How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long before PHI kicks in did you see surgeon for the first time?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: