Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

Ok, I think I've decided I'll just get hubby to give me a list of questions that he'd like answered, and go by myself. Even though he IS supportive, it's still not something he would do himself, and I think I would feel a little on edge with him there, whereas I'll be totally relaxed on my own! On a side note, he said he'd far rather the band, or an Orbera balloon than the sleeve!!!!??!! Funny how we're different. I considered both of these, but , personally, I don't like the idea of a foreign object inside me - plus, the balloon can only stay in for 6 months, so that is just like another short term diet type thing. The sleeve seems more like an operation like a c-section, and I've had 4 of those and survived fine (and coped with another baby each time!!!) He sees the sleeve as very invasive. Ok, rant over, I just thought it was interesting that we have quite different perspectives!

Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP 427584
Back to top Go down
JadziaOz
JadziaOz

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 10:50 am

I'd love to have had hubby there for support, but there's no way he could get time off work unless I was dying (and even then, they'd have to be sure). He will take me to the hospital (90 minutes away) on surgery day (since I can't leave him without a car for three days or drive myself home afterwards), and he can drive to the closest train station and park there and head to work by his normal start time, and will come back after he knocks off in the evening for a few minutes then head home to take care of our old, sick, indoor cats...and himself.

I made the decision alone. I went to all appointments alone. I checked in with him to make sure he was ok with it all, but he says it's my body, my decision and he knows I've struggled with my weight for a long time (all my life, and definitely ever since we've been together - 18 years on 2 August just gone) and if I really want to do it, and I am totally prepared for any possible consequence, then I should do what I have to do. And since he's been supporting me for years anyway, nothing will really change if something goes wrong and I can't ever work again.

Still, it would have been nice for him to have been at some of the appointments, if only for his own information :/
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture
SammySleever

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 10:27 am

Oh no surgeon didn't ask or bat an eyelid!

Didn't even ask if I had support! Mind you, my Dad was going in for an appt with him after me, so I guess he assumed I had support!
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 10:06 am

I went by myself. My partner is very supportive and is one of the main reasons I made the decision to go ahead. I'm sure if I'd asked him to come he would have but to be honest it didn't occur to me. I discussed all the info with him but it was my journey to take.

Can't imagine why she would make such a big deal over it. I did get asked if I had a significant other but the surgeon didn't question why I came to the appointment alone.

To be honest I needed to focus on getting the info for myself, so I could have some time digesting that before I filled my partner in on the "nitty gritty" as BOJ says. It was all part of my journey to come to terms with the idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 9:25 am

Thanks, girls - lol Totoro "meh" !!!  I would rather go by myself, my husband will think of too many smart questions ha ha! I should have asked Do you think it was an issue that you went on your own, did the surgeon question why your hubbies (or partners) didn't come ?
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture
SammySleever

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 8:39 am

Meh I totally went by myself. Hubby wouldn't even come to the information seminar - doesn't like talking or hearing about surgeries at all, they freak him out!
LOL
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 8:13 am

I went alone.  Husband is supportive, but not that interested in the nitty gritty details.  He trusts I make decisions like this with a good evidence base and a level head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 6:38 am

I have just had my pre op bloodwork and  EcG done, as well as having my  dietitian, G.P.  and psychologist appointments. I am now due to meet with the surgeon , which is my final pre op appointment. My appointment is on Sep 21, and I can't have it brought forward. September is the busiest month of the year at work for my husband, and, as my appointment is during the day, it's unlikely that he will be able to come with me. I am perfectly fine with this. He is supportive, but not thrilled about me having WLS (I think he thinks it's a bit of a cop out, despite having watched me lose , only to regain over & over during the last 18 years or so) Anyway, the practice nurse said it would be  a really good idea if he were to come to that appointment, and emphasised the point that this is an enormously important episode in my life and with regards to my health. I know she's right, and I don't want the surgeon to think I've snuck out to the appointment without my disapproving husband, but, as I said, I'm happy to go on my own and relay the information!

So, I was wondering if others had taken a husband/wife/partner/support person, or if other people had gone in alone and what were your experiences ?

Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP 618285

Last edited by fat-to-fit on Wed 19 Aug 2015, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!!!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP   Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgeon's Appointment Pre OP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: