Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptyThu 11 Jun 2015, 10:57 am

I did 3 optifast and 2 cups of veggies (form the list inthe pack). Which is the standard Optifast instructions that come in the pack.  You could try that for your last few days.

Good luck for Monday!  Hope it all goes well, and see you on the other side.

I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  65317
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptyWed 10 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

Bellaballerina33 wrote:
ISW, don't stress, I think I lost only about 2 kilos on the 2 weeks of opti, but like the others have said, it's about shrinking the liver down to a safe size for the op. Just keep on with the plan as prescribed by your doc, and you'll be doing the best you can to be ready

This makes me feel a lot better because I feel like I haven't lost much at all whereas I see so many people around my starting weight have gone into surgery 7-10kgs lighter!

I went from 115.5kg to 112.4kg but I can't seem to get under 112kg! I have been so worried about it and scared he will cancel the surgery just because I haven't lost much. But I have stuck to the diet but now thinking instead of his requested 2 optifast plus 1 cup of vegetables and 1 small serve of chicken or fish I should just do 3 optifast and thats it (I have thursday friday sat and sun left until surgery monday morning) just to get that last minute fasting in? 

But knowing not everyone lost an immense amount of weight on optifast and were still able to get their surgeries done makes me feel a lot more calm about it :)
Back to top Go down
Bellaballerina33
Part of the furniture
Bellaballerina33

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 2:59 pm

ISW, don't stress, I think I lost only about 2 kilos on the 2 weeks of opti, but like the others have said, it's about shrinking the liver down to a safe size for the op. Just keep on with the plan as prescribed by your doc, and you'll be doing the best you can to be ready
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 11:54 am

Only your surgeon will know, I only lost 3kgs in the optifast before my op. Just stick to the surgeons advice and that will be the most important thing. There's no need to be stressed about what might happen before it does. A massive amount of stress gets created and then everything actually turns out ok. Be kind to yourself, it's not all about the numbers, stick to the instructions the best you can and think positive.

This next week or so will feel like ages but it's such a small part of the rest of your life! You can do it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 8:47 am

WondaWendy wrote:
Greenfrog is right, it's more about shrinking the liver.  Obviously the weight loss can be a sign of that but is not everything.  It would be good to see if your body is in ketosis - I got keto-sticks from the chemist to check when I was on Opti.  I think you are in the bayside right? I got mine from the chemist at Alex Hills and they put my mind at ease.  Can't remember how much they were but not that much.  You get so many in a tube so I used to test once or twice a day, it was interesting to see how at different times of day your reading was lighter or darker on the PH scale - as long as you are the right colour though it apparently doesn't matter how dark it is.

Just an idea you might like to try.

i'll try some ketostix soon! hopefully i can drop a fair bit this week, oh my goodness less than a week to go now!
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptySat 06 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm

Greenfrog is right, it's more about shrinking the liver.  Obviously the weight loss can be a sign of that but is not everything.  It would be good to see if your body is in ketosis - I got keto-sticks from the chemist to check when I was on Opti.  I think you are in the bayside right? I got mine from the chemist at Alex Hills and they put my mind at ease.  Can't remember how much they were but not that much.  You get so many in a tube so I used to test once or twice a day, it was interesting to see how at different times of day your reading was lighter or darker on the PH scale - as long as you are the right colour though it apparently doesn't matter how dark it is.

Just an idea you might like to try.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptySat 06 Jun 2015, 8:26 am

Only your surgeon can answer that question (or his office).

The biggest reason they want you to do optifast is to shrink you liver for easier access to the stomach.  (I'm sure there are more techinical terms).  When they open you up, they need to move the liver to get to your stomach.  If its too 'fatty' it will tear when they try and move it.  Thats when they stop the surgery.  If your liver is still too big or 'fatty' they will cancel the surgery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  EmptySat 06 Jun 2015, 7:36 am

I have been following the optifast diet and eating vegetables at night and drinking plenty of water. 

I weigh myself in the mornings after the bathroom but before eating/drinking. 

I've only lost 2kgs :( My last weigh in is Friday 12th June and surgery Monday 15th June. 

Will he cancel the surgery if I haven't lost at least 5-10kgs? What is the usual amount people need to lose?

I've done the optifast diet quite a few times in the past few years so I don't know if that has some sort of bad effect on my efforts now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!    I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!  Empty

Back to top Go down

I've only lost 2kgs and surgery is in 9 days!
Page 1 of 1