8 posters
AuthorMessage
ohtobethinish
ohtobethinish

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2015-03-26

What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyFri 29 May 2015, 11:13 am

I have had a lot of soup, cans and ones from the deli all puréed consistency, Miso Soup, Smoothies made from banana, yogurt, protein powder, milk, yogurt with protein powder, Optifast, hummus, fruit purée.
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTrniFW/]
Sony_64

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-05-12

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyFri 29 May 2015, 7:56 am

Thanks everyone, this has helped a lot. Will get the shopping done week before ☺
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyFri 29 May 2015, 4:06 am

Hi Wook,

Thank you very much, not being much into cooking now I don't see the experimenting thing happening.  I would probably only use it in shakes, maybe I will just wait and see if I need the protein powder as some people say they didn't use much of it.  I do have sustagin if I need something extra and I keep thinking about egg flips that my mum used to make me when I was a child and even though the thought of raw edd turns me off, I may add an egg to a shake. 

I think my problem is, I keep thinking what has always been drummed into us (no suar, no sugar) but I realise I have to have whatever I can drink or eat for the first few weeks whether it has sugar in it or not as long as I can get some nourishment.  I really like milk so no problem with dairy products as long as I can drink or eat them that is.
Back to top Go down
Wook11

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyFri 29 May 2015, 2:16 am

Hi Rob54,
Mostly I use protein powder in my smoothies but I have used it in baking. The only real disaster I have had was trying to make yoghurt and using protein powder instead of milk powder. Unbelievably horrible sour watery mush resulted.
There are hundreds of recipes on the web. I just search for 'cooking with protein powder' and see what comes up. I'd say most of the recipes are for when you can eat solid foods again but I did find some nice looking jellies and fluffy deserts. Have fun experimenting.
Cheers
Wook11
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 12:05 pm

Thank you everyone for all your input, I hope it has helped you too Sony, with what you need for when you get home.  I think having all these friends so willing to freely give their advice and experiences is just wonderful, thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 10:28 am

I liked Yakults - good probiotics and small so doesn't take too long toooo long to drink.  Also, my dietitian wanted me to drink Optislim or Optifast (I wasn't expecting that and was a bit miffed, lol) for it's completeness of nutritional value.  I was obstinate and tried everything else I could - Musashi shakes didn't sit well, sustagen was just as bad as Opti.  In the second week when my fluids were allowed to be a bit thicker, my best friend ended up being cream of mushroom soup with the bits strained out, made with a bit of skim milk. Delish!
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 9:46 am

Hey Rob, they delivered me sustagen as part of my first 'meal' in hospital, so could have dairy straight away. Shame Im lactose intolerant and they didnt read my admission papers lol
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 9:30 am

I had lots of tomato soup with a few scoops of protein powder, I used NutriVital unflavored whey protein. I also blended liquidy chunky soups in the ninja and added protein. Half of a optifast shake. Hydrolyte icy blocks. Up n go. And diet cordial to add to my water because I found I couldn't drink it straight like I used to.
Back to top Go down
Achara
Achara

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Another vote for boomers   What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 8:25 am

Another vote for Boomers , though I use the Whey protein isolate rather than concentrate.
has basically a very mild milky taste and isn't too bad.
If you want to put it in something warm you need to mix it in water first - the same way you do with cornflour.

Regards,
Achara.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 8:23 am

Wook11 wrote:
Hi Rob54,
I like 'Boomers 100% Whey Protein Concentrate' as it has no added flavours or sweeteners. You can use it sweet or savoury.
3 heaped tablespoons has 25 grams of protein. If you can't find it locally you can order it online from their website.

Cheers
Wook11
Hi Wook11,

Thank you, can I ask, what sort of things did you add it to?  Sorry probably a silly question!

Last edited by Rob54 on Thu 28 May 2015, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 8:18 am

Hi Bumbles, 

Thanks for the info on what to stock up on.  I keep thinking I must avoid any thing with a lot of sugar but I guess I have to eat what ever I can get down in the first few weeks.  How long before you were able to eat or drink dairy?
Back to top Go down
Wook11

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 8:16 am

Hi Rob54,
I like 'Boomers 100% Whey Protein Concentrate' as it has no added flavours or sweeteners. You can use it sweet or savoury.
3 heaped tablespoons has 25 grams of protein. If you can't find it locally you can order it online from their website.

Cheers
Wook11
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 6:10 am

Custard, drinking yoghurt, icypoles or zooper doopers, pain killers, gatorade/powerade, makings for smoothies - basically any gooey, liquidy form of whatever you could stomach for the first few weeks - maybe make up or buy some soups as well. If you tolerate milk, get up n gos, musashi etc in the ready to drink boxes.

I lived on icypoles/zooper doopers, gatorade and boost juice through the liquid stage. 

I bought protein powder, think in 6 months Ive used 2 scoops, some love it, some need it, I didnt, Im doing ok with protein intake from real food. If you think you will struggle with protein, an unflavoured one would be best as you can mix it into just about anything, savoury food, sweet food, drinks, hot or cold - doesnt matter really.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyThu 28 May 2015, 3:39 am

Hi Sony, 

That's a great question. I'm trying to get everything together for when I come home too.

One other question I would like to add is do we need to have protein powder is it the same as drinking optifast and can anyone recommend the best brand, there are so many did different brands.  I found 2 with minimal carbs and sugar.  But then what about the taste which ones taste the best? 
 What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  618285
Back to top Go down
Sony_64

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-05-12

PostSubject: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  EmptyWed 27 May 2015, 1:35 pm

Can anyone help me with what I should make sure that I have in the house upon my return from hospital. Don't want to be a pain and get someone else to do the shopping. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I have in the house ready for when I get home    What should I have in the house ready for when I get home  Empty

Back to top Go down

What should I have in the house ready for when I get home
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: