Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?

Go down 
+2
cool.J
aussiearies
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  Empty
PostSubject: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptyFri 08 May 2015, 2:36 pm

I am wondering if tummy tucks and breast lifts are covered under any health funds? I do know that they all pretty much don't cover cosmetic surgery but is it cosmetic if its fixing damaged sagging skin from major weight loss or can it be seen as more "reconstructive"?

I see that tummy tucks up front cost anywhere between $10,000-$15,000 and I'm really hoping I can find a way to not have to save up and pay that much!

What other options are there to have it in Australia and not pay that full amount? Did anyone go overseas for their tummy tuck and breast lift?
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySat 09 May 2015, 12:03 am

Hi Filoaussie

As I understand it the surgery you are talking about, where one has lost a lot of weight is classified as reconstructive rather than cosmetic surgery and is covered by health funds and Medicare to a certain extent.

I 'think' what they look for a medical reasons for the surgery, such as rashes or infections or, and I am not 100% psychological injury such as depression.

There are likely to be others with more recent information here but there is a section on here for plastic surgery you might want to read.
Back to top Go down
cool.J
Part of the furniture
cool.J

Female
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2015-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySat 09 May 2015, 2:14 am

Hey!! Aussiearies is right. If it's medically necessary it's usually covered and as long as medicare will pay a benefit towards it (meaning there is a medicare item number for the procedure).
I'm not sure about the breast lifts as working for a health insurance fund I haven't heard of this being approved but all funds are different. There are funds that cover tummy tuck or otherwise known as abdominoplasty, under reconstructive reasons as they can result in skin conditions etc and some funds may just have your surgeon who's doing the abdominoplasty complete a special form for claiming purposes. Depends on the fund. maybe give them a call and just ask? Most phone consultants in health funds are pretty friendly (the ones I know anyway :) )
Back to top Go down
youngbelle

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2015-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySat 09 May 2015, 3:07 am

Hi 
I think they cover a breast reduction rather than a breast lift, I think from what I've read they only have to take a little amount for it to be considered a reduction rather than a breast lift. I imagine if you go see a surgeon when you go through the process they would know for sure as they would deal with it all the time :) as side from that I think if you shop around so to speak you could probably get better prices.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySun 10 May 2015, 4:28 am

The Plastic surgeon I saw said you can get a Breast Lift done if it is within 7 years of having a child but since my baby is 18 it was no help to me :(

cheers Nini.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySun 24 May 2015, 3:58 am

If they have a Medicare item number they are claimable in your private health insurance. 

Listed below is all my surgeries all covered by my PHI.
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  EmptySun 24 May 2015, 11:53 am

Most health funds wont pay for cosmetic surgery. I checked with mine before all this started and reconstructive surgery is covered, and they specifically told me that if I had weight loss surgery and required surgery to remove excess skin down the track, this is covered by them. But as with the sleeve itself, they only pay the hospital costs, we still need to cover the surgeons gap and anaesthetist etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?    Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there health funds that will cover tummy tuck?
Page 1 of 1