MuppetGirl
9 posters
AuthorMessage
carollsadler

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2014-09-23

Knowing when to stop eating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015, 3:19 am

MuppetGirl I'm 10 weeks post op and had another surgeon's appointment last week. He still wants me to keep me meal sizes to 1/2 a cup. I'm in no rush to increase the quantity of food I am eating because the last thing I want to do is stretch my stomach. This small stomach has to last me another 40 - 50 years LOL

I usually find if I serve up 1/2 a cup worth of food that I'm either full before I finish or when I've finished satisfied. If I try to stuff any more in I usually have a very loud hiccup or that blocked pipe feeling. Never had the slimys. Almost threw up once, but a good burp fixed that.
Back to top Go down
simallyher
simallyher

Female
Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015, 2:04 am

I don't get a runny nose or hiccups. I get a small pressure feeling at the bottom of my throat, I wait and see what happens because I have thrown up a couples times, usually now because I've chosen something my body isn't ready for or I've eaten too fast. Usually I have a couple burps and I'm like "yep, I'm done" then my tummy feels full. It's kinda of like a contented feeling in my stomach and knowing that if I eat more I'll be sick.

I do get excess saliva and what are slimeys?
Back to top Go down
Shrinking Violet

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:48 pm

Runny nose/sneezing.
Back to top Go down
juldon1
juldon1

Female
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2014-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 1:32 pm

Ahh now that you mention it I too get the hiccoughs but I hadn't associated it - now I know. No runny nose though.

I haven't had any vomiting luckily but I sometimes get lots of saliva, but that doesn't necessarily happen when I've finished a meal, it can happen when I lay
down or when I drink but not every time.

As I'm sitting here typing I now have the extra saliva - gross stuff. Anyone have experiences with that and is it related to Muppets question - ie: is that extra saliva
because of eating too much of something earlier in the day?
Back to top Go down
aramat
aramat

Female
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:36 am

Hi I usually find that I get the hiccups only, thank goodness. (mind you they are pretty loud hiccups)

Never had the slimeys or throwing up, but have had the occasional burp.
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:27 am

Yes, I have the single little lady burp, pops out sometimes. Forgot about that.
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:20 am

No runny nose or hiccups, my warning sign when I'm getting close to full is a discreet little burp. I can then eat a couple more bites but not much more if I don't want to feel uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 10:17 am

I also get the runny nose thing but not the hiccups.  I have also (regrettably) had the slimeys a few times and in my opinion that is related to either eating too fast or not chewing things into small enough pieces (which is probably related back to eating too fast anyway), rather than from eating too much.

Due to a few uncomfortable experiences after eating too fast, I have learned to slow down and I think that this has helped me to feel fullness in my tummy before I get to the runny nose stage (not always but often).  Hopefully this will just keep getting better as time goes by too.
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 6:26 am

Im nearly 7 months, since my sleeve and I have noticed that when I get near my limit of food, my nose gets runny or else I get the hiccups.
(Does anyone else have this happen?)
My surgeon has his own facebook page and we were all discussing i
t the other day and both these were quite common with lots of others that have been sleeved.
Ive never had the slimeys or thrown up, Im pretty pleased to be able to say that.
Back to top Go down
juldon1
juldon1

Female
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2014-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 4:13 am

Good question Muppet

I was going to ask the same thing. In my dietician notes it does say take a small amount, wait 10 minutes to see how it sits then take another mouthful - my 1/4 cup is usually about it for me but if I do have something thicker then it is less and I end up with that "stuck in the pipe" feeling. I'm still on puree atm and my food is usually stone cold by the time I am finished. I really empathise with babies now! LOL

Hope all else is going well

Jules
Back to top Go down
MuppetGirl

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 1:10 am

I will be four weeks post OP on Wednesday. I have been progressing my foods as per my dietician and will be on a fairly normal diet (just no steak or bread yet) by 4 weeks.

I still can't really eat much food, around 1/4 to 1/3 cup if solids. About 1/2 cup if soup, probably more but I have it measured out in half cup portions and stop at that.

The problem is, with normal solid food (ie fish n veg), I don't know that I've had enough until I take that one bite too many. And there is no consistency in amount of food I can eat. Some meals might be 6 mouthfuls, some 8, some 10. There is no set amount. 

So how do you know when to stop? How do you know it's enough before you have that final bite where it's too much? I feel like my body isn't communicating to my head properly yet if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knowing when to stop eating.   Knowing when to stop eating. Empty

Back to top Go down

Knowing when to stop eating.
Page 1 of 1