3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vogette
Vogette

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-05-13

Erosion of the Band Empty
PostSubject: Re: Erosion of the Band   Erosion of the Band EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015, 7:17 pm

Hi Squeaky & Nickers.

I had my band removed in May last year after not being able to swallow my own spit. I had the band since 2010, and it was good for about 2.5 years. Then, I had no ends of trouble where I would vomit after every meal, yet I was actually putting ON weight. I had fluid out, fluid in, a gastroscopy that was allegedly "normal" but I struggled. Then one day at work (I work in a hospital) I had a lightbulb moment. "OMG, I am so dehydrated, my skin was crunchy!" (Slight exaggeration there, but you get the drift).

I had already made my mind up that I wanted the band out, and had made an appointment to see a different surgeon, whose work I had seen. However, on this day, I went to the Emergency Department, and was rehydrated. I was admitted and went to theatre the next day. The surgeon really wanted to salvage the band if he could, but I was adamant, and I wanted it out.

When he got in there, it had slipped and I had a very large oedematous pouch above the band. He removed it. Afterwards, I am afraid I ate (cos I could again!) and I gained a lot of weight. The surgeon had said he would not operate for 4 months to allow time for the stomach to heal. I had a holiday to Spain booked, so I did not actually have the sleeve until November.

At surgery it was a bit more tricky as I had so many adhesions from the band, but the sleeve was done successfully, and I recovered really well.

It is so much better than the band - no more struggling with food choices. You can really eat anything, just much much smaller amounts. You do choose nutritious food over junk, as you just cant fit both! You cannot eat and drink at the same meal...something I miss, as I did like a glass of wine with dinner when I dine out, but you learn to live with it.

Weight loss has been slower though, than in those who did not have the band. I think it is because your metabolism has adjusted due to the band. I am exercising - I cycle 3-4 times per week, 20-30km, so I think I am building muscle. I can notice the difference in my clothes.

I am currently 10 weeks post op, and have lost 12.5 kg, with 7.5 in the first 2 weeks. Slow since then, but I am happy with that...as long as it is downwards!

I do not regret having the sleeve ne little bit. I just wish it has been at the stage it is now technically in 2010 - there were too many leaks and comps back then as it was a new technique...

Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Erosion of the Band   Erosion of the Band EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015, 10:29 am

Hi there, I don't yet have a sleeve but am taking steps to get my band removed. I've had mine for 4 years and all was good for 18 months until I started taking arthritis drugs.  Since then, have had many many dodgy episodes and it just doesn't function like it used to.  One day I can eat a hamburger (minus the bun) and the next day, yoghurt will get stuck (on 3mls in the band!).  I want it out, sleeve or otherwise.  I am so sick of vomiting.  

However I have had a barium swallow test and a gastroscopy and apparently all is fine.  So these symptoms happen without erosion or a slip.  Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your fears.  

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
squeakytoy
squeakytoy

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2015-01-19

PostSubject: Erosion of the Band   Erosion of the Band EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 11:33 am

Hi!

My name is Rachael and I'm new to the forums :)

I had my appointment with Dr Alan Thomas at Murdoch today and I'm booked in to have my Lapband removed on the 29th January after having it in for 9.5 years.  I've been having episodes where I can't eat or drink for up to 3 days at a time and I think it's time that it should come out.  This has only started occurring in the past year but I'm worried that this has caused some damage.

I'm slightly worried (actually really worried) that my band has eroded into my stomach and that I won't be able to get the sleeve done a few months down the track.

Did anyone share these fears when they were contemplating the revision surgery?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Erosion of the Band   Erosion of the Band Empty

Back to top Go down

Erosion of the Band
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: