WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 11:28 am

Some good suggestions on here.  You could also do...

- stuffed baked tomatoes
- tomato relish
- gazpacho (yes it's soup but is served cold - I had it made by a Spanish woman once & wow!)

Here's a link to my favourite recipe site with tomato already searched for you, lol.  Every 5 star recipe we have ever made has been fantastic!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=tomato

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

Bruschetta?
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 10:22 am

If we have heaps towards the end of summer that we can't use, we just put them into plastic bags straight into the freezer.  Just wash and freeze.  Can't use them in salads etc, but are great to chuck straight into casseroles or stews or oven backed dishes since the skin comes off really easily if you chuck them into hot liquid still frozen.
Back to top Go down
Maryle

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-08-28

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 7:51 am

Thanks for that, I like the freeze for omelette idea. Would you believe...my brother rang just the other day and said next time he visited he was going to bring some home made sun dried tomato he had made and preserved in garlic infused olive oil with feta cheese (which was hand made by his next door neighbour). He said his tomato crop was over abundant! One good thing...he's bringing some zucchini too. My brother is into self sufficiency, home made, hippy stuff ATM. He bakes his own bread etc. I have to admit it suits him...he is looking good and seems happy...he even admits to spending most of his mornings naked and loving the sun on his skin. All I can say is thank goodness his neighbours are a long way away. Oh well, to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 7:30 am

You could fry them up with some onion, even a bit of baby spinach and freeze in small batches, great for quick omelette.

Probably not Roma tomatoes (could just slice in half) I'm guessing, if not you could still quarter them then mix crushed garlic and olive oil together with the back of a fork bast the tomatoes cook really slow in the oven till semi dried Yum Yum cover with oil in a jar or freeze great added to pasta sauce.

hope that helps all I can think of at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Maryle

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-08-28

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? EmptyTue 09 Dec 2014, 7:06 am

Anyone have some interesting variations for tomatoes? I ordered 5 tomatoes online and Coles sent 5 kgs!!! I gave 2kgs to the neighbours but geez! Not exactly soup weather either.

I'm not an Italian Nonna.......I don't do home made pasatta.

I don't mind just plain tomato with salt and pepper for a snack but even that's wearing a bit thin. I'm over grilled tomato with cheese. You can only add so many tomatoes into mince for spaghetti Bol when you live by yourself. I know I can always ditch them but it annoys me to waste them, they're really pretty good quality.

In the old days (when I could still eat) it wouldn't have been such a big problem. Ah....first world problems....aren't I lucky?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tomato recipes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomato recipes?   Tomato recipes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomato recipes?
Page 1 of 1