Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyTue 26 May 2009, 5:41 am

Opus you're doing fine.

I'm lucky as I have 6 years experience under my belt at chewing slowly. When I was first banded I tended to count the number of chews and could get up to 30 for each mouthful. Obviously this was for more solid food but I can also chew mushies like a champion!!

Try counting to at least 20 chews before swallowing and make sure that you are only taking a little spoonful at a time. And I mean a little spoonful. About 1/4 teaspoon at a time and have a 10 second break before the next one. Slow is the name of the game.

Good luck,
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyTue 26 May 2009, 3:57 am

I think it is great your daughter is getting into good eating habits - they learn so much from us, don't they.

I find that the consistency of the food has a lot of bearing on what I can eat. And how wet/dry it is. I had a rissole the other day and could only eat half of it because it was fairly dry. I can eat more soup (obviously because it "moves on" faster).

You are doing really well!!!
Caz
Back to top Go down
ozpatty
ozpatty

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyTue 26 May 2009, 2:58 am

Hi Opuskv626
Sounds like you're on the right track to learning about your new stomach.
It does take time and yes the learning of eating very slowly and chew every single little piece to a consistency of mushy slop does take time. I figure that we have had years of eating big chunks, and fast, thus having to eat differently now takes time and practice. eventually the old habit will go and the new habit will eventually take over. I had to giggle the other day when my mother asked me how long did it take to finally chew that one mouthfull........ and here is the woman who for years told me to "hurry up and eat"......lol.....what a laugh.
Another thing I have noticed, and I'm wondering if other Mums out there can vouch for this or give me any feedback...... since eating smaller amounts slowly I am sort of getting my younger daughter to also get into that habit. I'm also starting to get conscience about her weight and eating habits. Is this normal or am I being too "over conscience" ???
Hope you are all well
Trish
Back to top Go down
http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wTMLGtu/
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyMon 25 May 2009, 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I've posted about the board that since this discussion I've gotten food stuck on the way down. Here's an excerpt from my Journal about the latest occurrence.

I got stuck again. This time at dinner. I served myself about 2.5 ounces of lentils. It was a very soft mushy porridge-like consistency. Lo and behold after to bites I felt both bites suddenly lodge right above my stomach and stop. I had to spit out anything left in my mouth and try to straighten myself to breathe.

I'm learning some things here. First as I type that, I see that I had taken a second bite before the first hit my stomach.... Slow down!

Second, I need to take more time in the puree stage... I'm just advancing out of the puree stage, but I might need more time.

Third, I notice that both times I've gotten stuck, I've been trying to eat while hungry.... Yes. That's right... Hungry. Many people here will tell you that they no longer experience hunger. Maybe that's right for them, but the past few days, my hunger seems to be returning. However, it's different than pre-op hunger. Before the operation, I never experienced physical hunger. I was always eating enough. I experienced stress-related emotional hunger. Now, I get hunger because of an actual calorie deficit. This makes sense considering how little I've been eating. My stomach doesn't rumble, but I feel the hunger in my head.... not psychologically... I mean lightheadedness. So I have to look into how to avoid that. Drink more? Supplement? I know that dehydration can many times be misread as hunger. But today I know I had been sipping all day.

Fourth, I have to remember to take smaller bites. I can probably avoid getting stuck by taking very small bites; even when hungry. It'll lengthen my enjoyment of the meal and avoid these sticky situations....

Of course I knew all of that already.... I just haven't practiced it enough. I'm still learning with my new tummy. It'll take time.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyThu 21 May 2009, 7:27 pm

Hi there
I'm with the others - it takes time to learn to feel something that you didn't experience before!
And yes, the runny nose thing helps - my doc toldl me it's to do with the same hormones being used in your sinuses as your digestion - but for me, it's usually when I'm really full, and I should have already stopped by the time that happens.
When you're first going on to any new type of food, it's best to measure. At first you might only be able to manage a teaspoon or two, and that's okay. Don't try to push it, and make sure you're taking your vitamins regularly. If you get concerned that you're not getting enough nutrition, have a protein shake.
I don't measure any more, but I always try to use a certain bowl that I know holds 1 cup of food - sometimes I have it full and at others I only eat half.
Chris
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyThu 21 May 2009, 4:12 pm

opuskv626,

Yep. That feeling just below the sternum is my "full" feeling. I try to follow my dietitians and support teams advice to take each meal slow, thoroughly chew (when you get to the solid stage) to a liquid consistency and take time between each mouth full. When that feeling just begins, that is the time to stop. You're full.

I still have the old habit of eating quicker than I should and taking one too many mouthfuls. I can tell when that pressure is greater (not uncomfortable, however), but my nose also starts running (like ssteph2342, figure that one out!). Two mouthfuls too many and I start a sneezing jag and the pressure is definitely there; I have to rub the sternum area. Three mouthfuls too many and, yes, off to the loo to relieve the overflow.

Nine months out and still learning to listen to my body!

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyThu 21 May 2009, 4:03 pm

I only and still do is measure the 1/4 cup of food /liquid out.Now it is up to 1/2 cup depending on what I am eating. Pasta is more filling so is steak.But if I don't measure and am a little heavy handed ,so to speak .It is a hard feeling to explain .definitely under sternum there is a pressure feeling ,Then of cause if it is one mouth full too much the nose she starts to run. 2 mouth fulls off to the loo to relieve pressure.lol
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyThu 21 May 2009, 1:42 pm

Hi opuskv626 and welcome,

You know I have to say that I never knew what it felt like to be full either. The same feeling wasn't there but I had a hiatus hernia op at the same time and had to go back several months later and have my oesaphagus stretched as food was getting stuck so that was how I thought I felt full was the feeling of food in my chest/throat and still often get that although now I do feel full more in my stomach. I think it just takes a long time to learn what it feels like. Also I get a runny nose when I'm full too and I know a lot of others say the same thing happens to them as well.

Good luck,
steph
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Am I full?   Am I full? EmptyThu 21 May 2009, 12:16 pm

Today was my first try at breakfast after surgery. My meal plan includes 8 oz. protein shake, followed an hour later by 1.5 oz pureed protein and 1 oz pureed fruit or vegetable.

I am working on my protein shake and got about 5 ounces into it when I started to feel nauseous. I even dry heaved a little bit. (TMI?) I stopped of course.

I am aware of fluid in my body, just south of the sternum of my rib cage. When I used to get full I remember feeling pressure throughout my belly. Now, I think I'm full, but I don't have that sensation. Any comments, thoughts or shared experiences?

Am I full? What does feeling full feel like?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Am I full? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I full?   Am I full? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I full?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: