Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Reflux - severe and awful Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 26 Feb 2015, 1:24 am

I had sleeve to bypass revision in September 2014 due to severe reflux and am happy to report that I am now on no reflux meds and essentially have no reflux, he only time I have any issue is if I eat something that doesn't agree with me or I eat too much, but I don't really count either of those thigs as true reflux as such, I'm very happy with my decision to have bypass as my life was becoming very unpleasant with the level of reflux I had prior to bypass and it was just getting continually worse
Back to top Go down
kjmaybe
kjmaybe

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyTue 24 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

I'm weeks out of having a bypass - due to my sleeve causing my stomach to controt and servre gord. My surgeons have advised the bypass will stop the acid from producing as the are removing the portion of the stomach that creates the acid. Im hoping this works as I've had nothing but issues with my insides for the last 24 months. The acid has damanged my stomach lining and some of my osphegagus (sorry if spelt wrong). I have to get the surgery done anyway but it worries me now that I might not be getting the bonus of getting rid of my reflux :( I'm currently on 40mg of omprepozole that is two 20mg twice daily. It is not working completely but I manage.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 9:58 pm

Changed Mind wrote:
REFLUX is just the worse......

Changed Mind, I haven't seen an update from you apart from this quote with all of the suggestions myself, Suzy77 and Swayback have repeatedly given you.  Have you been back to see your surgeon in a proper appointment and get some solutions for the interim and for the future?  If your surgeon hasn't helped you, have you made arrangements to see another surgeon or are you just putting up with your frustrations and unhappiness with the sleeve, reflux and diet?  Plus are you seeing your dietician as you were greatly struggling with your diet wanting it all to return to normal pre-sleeve stage, and also a psychologist to help you develop better coping mechanisms and work with the sleeve as it's there for life now.

Sorry if you feel I am being nosy but it concerns me if people are not doing anything to help themselves which can lead to long term lifetime problems from the reflux causing major health problems to your stomach, esophagus, teeth, etc plus the mental problems with severe depression.  This isn't something that is going to magically go away with time. 

Some people suffer with it for years.  I've met a young girl two years ago who is only 42 and thought it was totally normal everything you have described.  She had every tooth pulled because they were ruined from the acid from constant vomiting or slimies and now wears dentures, she can only eat limited food as reacts badly to so many things or can't eat it because of the dentures, can't drink any type of alcohol and after 5 years of putting up with it, she finally saw the surgeon who opened her up and said she had left it for so long, she is so is badly scarred up and ruined, there is nothing left he could do to help her any more except provide her with strong reflux tablets and pain meds for the rest of her life.  She wasn't happy with that response so saw two other top surgeons and they both turned her away for the exact same reason.  In her depression & failure, she has now turned to alcohol and drugs to cope.  She can't work, can hardly function on a day to day basis and her husband is basically the sole carer of the kids.  Morale, reflux might be the worse - but it can get a hell of a lot worse!!
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 2:53 pm

Suzy77 wrote:
Sorry to disagree but based on experience.....Bypass doesn't fix reflux. And sadly, it isn't the worst thing we can deal with either.

STRONGLY SUPPORT SUZY ON THIS!  Reflux - severe and awful 542174

Please please please people - do not look at the bypass to fix your reflux issue.  It has been brought up many times over & over, and from myself and Suzy who are both bypassed and have been for a significant time - it doesn't NOT fix reflux.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 6:53 am

Sorry to disagree but based on experience.....Bypass doesn't fix reflux. And sadly, it isn't the worst thing we can deal with either.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 9:00 am

REFLUX is just the worse......
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 8:45 am

Garfield99 wrote:
I really can't understand how the bypass would fix it?  I have the bypass and severe reflux myself.  I need to take reflux meds and maxalon every day, maxalon up to 3 times per day.
 To be honest I'm not sure either, but the research does support this, I can't remember the exact number but it's over 95% of people that resolution or significant reduction in symptoms of reflux after bypass. I'm actually unfortunately in the middle of another flare up now, been going for at least a few weeks, though is suspect it's actually longer and I just didn't realise as I've been very tired for a while now, which I think is because my reflux interrupts my sleep, so I don't get good restful sleep.  I did have bloods last week that show my iron, b12, vitamin d and thyroid function are all ok, so it probably has been the reflux making me tired.  I am considering seeking an opinion about bypass from a surgeon that does it without my clinic referring me, my gp will do a referral if I ask, just to talk to someone who is not opposed to bypass,my clinic doesn't do them and isn't really in favour of them.  I do have a referral to have a gastroscopy done, so I might organise that and go from there.  Obviously I don't want more surgery if it isn't actually going to fix my reflux, bunt I would like to not have reflux!
Back to top Go down
JellyB

Female
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 1:09 pm

I agree. You need to find the cause. It could be as simple as having helicobacter in your stomach which can be cleared up with anti-biotics.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 10:01 am

Just adding my tuppence worth again as I agree with Sway and Garfield. If you are suffering you need to be in contact with your surgeon constantly. There is so much that can be done and we've given you a few suggestions. There is no need to suffer. Hopefully you get the support you need ASAP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySun 27 Apr 2014, 12:36 am

I agree with Garfield...time to be assertive with your surgeon. There are other tests which can be done to find out the cause of your problems. Anything form a barium swallow to oesophageal manometry. Maybe a CT or similar. A gastroscopy doesn't show dysfunction, it shows an anatomical problem. Perhaps you have oesophageal dysmotility, gastro paresis, it could be heaps of things...not excluding a psychological issue (are you distressed because you are having post op discomfort or are you having post op discomfort because you're distressed?). It really is time to demand that your surgeon investigates further.

Please let us know what you decide to do.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 2:13 pm

Changed Mind wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they experience side effects from taking reflux meds?  I have been back on somac for a week and i have had a headache every day, dizziness and an upset belly, is it worth me swapping my meds?  I just cant function properly

I strongly suggest you go back to your surgeon to get some advice as you have pretty much taken every possible reflux medication available without success.  We can only assist with our personal experiences or what we can google, but everyone's experience is unique.  From what I can understand, you are having severe issues adapting to this sleeve from eating and reflux due to the almost daily posts on your struggles.  On many occasions members have suggested you seek assistance from a psychologist which I am not sure if you have taken this option to assist you moving forward but it would be a good idea to help you adapt.

You need to speak to your surgeon as well to advise him of your daily struggles and unhappiness with the sleeve.  There may be something he can either help you with or refer you on to see someone that can help you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 5:41 am

Hi, I found this....

Pantoprazole.

Common side effects are those which occur in more than 1% of patients given Somac tablets. These include:

Fatigue;
Asthenia;
Increased sweating;
Headache;
Diarrhoea;
Severe belching;
Constipation or flatulence;
Dry mouth;
Upper abdominal pain;
Metallic taste.

I'm not sure but I think most of these are supposed to improve over time but you can always ask your doctor.
Back to top Go down
JellyB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 5:22 am

Your local pharmacist can look up the side effects of your meds.
I have never had trouble with Pariet.

BTW are you taking Gaviscon to aleviate the pain?
I believe it's the most effective ant-acid.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 26 Apr 2014, 1:12 am

Can anyone tell me if they experience side effects from taking reflux meds? I have been back on somac for a week and i have had a headache every day, dizziness and an upset belly, is it worth me swapping my meds? I just cant function properly
Back to top Go down
JellyB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 10:32 am

My surgeon said he wouldn't sleeve anyone who already has trouble with reflux, as a gastrectomy or by-pass will agravate the existing problem.
The pre-op test for this is the barium swallow.
   I think surgeons should be up front with this problem so people can make a more informed decision.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 6:50 am

scoots266 wrote:
I am nearly 1 year out and still have what is termed as severe reflux, I did however have reflux problems pre op as the sphincter at the top of my stomach doesn't fully close, so I was aware that there was potential that the sleeve could make my reflux worse, though it didn't till about 5 months out.  I am on zantac and somac twice a day and it helps, it stops the burning but stuff still cones up frequently,  I have however learnt to live with this.   My only option for possibly fixing it is to have bypass, however I currently feel that it managed well enough to not need to take up this option, though there was a period late last year before I got some control of it that I would have jumped at the chance to have bypass done as it was so bad, my surgeon however wanted to do the whole wait and see thing.   I have had a barium swallow which showed my sleeve was "beautiful", as my surgeon put it, so its just that darn sphincter at the top of my Stomach causing my probs!

I really can't understand how the bypass would fix it?  I have the bypass and severe reflux myself.  I need to take reflux meds and maxalon every day, maxalon up to 3 times per day.
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyFri 25 Apr 2014, 1:44 am

I am nearly 1 year out and still have what is termed as severe reflux, I did however have reflux problems pre op as the sphincter at the top of my stomach doesn't fully close, so I was aware that there was potential that the sleeve could make my reflux worse, though it didn't till about 5 months out. I am on zantac and somac twice a day and it helps, it stops the burning but stuff still cones up frequently, I have however learnt to live with this. My only option for possibly fixing it is to have bypass, however I currently feel that it managed well enough to not need to take up this option, though there was a period late last year before I got some control of it that I would have jumped at the chance to have bypass done as it was so bad, my surgeon however wanted to do the whole wait and see thing. I have had a barium swallow which showed my sleeve was "beautiful", as my surgeon put it, so its just that darn sphincter at the top of my Stomach causing my probs!
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

I always had that lump in the throat feeling with Nexium hence refuse to take it.  Others that find it too just live with it and eventually you ignore it.  40mg Pantoprozole works for me - have you tried that one?

As Suzy77 suggested, if you are only on 20mg - increase it (it's totally safe and I'm surprised you are not already starting on 40mg considering your history).  Anything lower and I have reflux.  When I had a very bad episode for a week I took it twice per day, morning and night just so it kicked in quickly.

Also have a look at your diet as there are triggers for reflux.  Dehydration is the main culprit, dairy, sugars, fat, breads etc.  All those nawdy things we are meant to be avoiding.  If your stomach has trouble processing - it's going to let you know in a nasty way.
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 7:48 am

At day 7 I'd expect it to start kicking in now but 20mg is a very low dose so you might need more. Chat to your doc or surgeon on Monday. I take 80 and stil have a couple of terrible episodes lasting from a few hours to a whole day every single week but I have problems as you know anyways so just something I else I have had to learn to live with.
Back to top Go down
JellyB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 4:49 am

I often get a lump in the throat feeling. I'm not sure of the cause but suspect it's from snoring.  Can't be sure as I live alone. These days I just try not to focus on it & eventually it goes away.
 It's not a nice feeling, but not as bad as the pain I get in my knee.
   Hope you can manage to distract yourself from it & that it goes away soon, All the best J.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 12:51 am

How long does it take to get rid of the "lump in the throat feeling", this is my 7th day on Nexium????
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014, 4:57 am

LizHaynes wrote:
I must say, since I have been revised to the bypass I have had absolutely NO reflux!!! NONE. Its a bloody miracle for me!!!

I never had any problems with reflux until after I had the bypass and it turned up a few weeks after the op and it's bad!  If I don't take my tablets I'm sick for the entire day, vomiting non stop, have to sleep upright, waking up to vomit etc and it takes me a few days to recover. so be aware it may come back.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014, 4:53 am

Changed Mind wrote:
At present 20mg twice a day, Suzi in your experience does it get rid of the lump in the throat, feel like I am gagging and want to vomit..

I felt the exact same way with Nexium so refuse to take it.  I take 40mg Pantoprozole.  You can get the 20mg over the counter.  I'm shocking at remembering to take it, so I use quick eze in the interim until it starts working again (around 3 days).
Back to top Go down
JellyB

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014, 4:33 am

Quote :

You really need to continue the trial and error solutions to the reflux as if left untreated it can cause multiple problems including cancer of the oesophagus and it will rot away all the enamel on your back teeth from the highly acidic fumes coming from your stomach. 

Liz I understand your intention to be helpful & informative, & bless you for that.
However, the statement 'above' could really freak out some people.  At the very least it could cause enough stress to exacerbate the problem of reflux as it is well known that stress & tension plays a large part in the problem.
   Surfice to say that reflux over an extended period can cause other problems & it's best to get it under controll as soon as possible.
 One thing that can help anyone suffering from reflux is to note their posture. If slumped over, try imagining a cord fixed to the top of your head & someone pulling it so you are straightened out. This can help relieve the pressure placed on the stomach.
Cheers, Granny J.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful EmptyThu 17 Apr 2014, 1:45 am

I have had GORD since I had my gallbladder out 16 years ago. Having the sleeve only made it worse. I would wake up vomiting bile. Shudder.

Gaviscon is the best treatment for instant relief that I have found. QuickEze did absolutely nothing for me. Mylanta did help a tiny bit but the Gaviscon wins hands down!!!!

I must say, since I have been revised to the bypass I have had absolutely NO reflux!!! NONE. Its a bloody miracle for me!!!

Next thing I want to address is the reflux and heartburn names. They are the same thing. The only difference is with heartburn is the acid has travelled up higher away from your stomach and into your oesophagus. You may also find your breath starts to smell weird to your partners too. Generally can't smell your own breath so don't bother trying lol.

You really need to continue the trial and error solutions to the reflux as if left untreated it can cause multiple problems including cancer of the oesophagus and it will rot away all the enamel on your back teeth from the highly acidic fumes coming from your stomach. 

If the 20mg twice a day does not control all of the reflux please go back to your doctor and get an increase in your dose. It is not uncommon to be on 40mg tablets of Nexium.  I must say that they didn't work too good for me, Somac was the best for me. If you have tried a higher dose and still not enough relief from symptoms ask to be changed to a different PPI. A change of formula can be the best thing to do.

Good luck with it all :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflux - severe and awful   Reflux - severe and awful Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflux - severe and awful
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next